cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dan Hesse asks, "Why do they still call it a phone, when they do so much more"?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Dan Hesse asks, "Why do they still call it a phone, when they do so much more"?

Dan, My INSTINCT is just a phone. It doesn't do much else well. The media player has the worst sound imaginable making is useless as an MP3 player. The video quality, well it's not very clear and many people see green. The calendar is awful, Mobile Sync lost 540 of my contacts, the camera is a joke, the web-browser only works on some sites and I can't use Opera. The Navigation app is incredible. But mostly, my INSTINCT is just a phone, Dan. I guess that's why they call it such.

18 REPLIES 18
Patron

Re: Dan Hesse asks, "Why do they still call it a phone, when they do so much more"?

thats what it should be only called is a phone because that's all its really good for and that's even if u have good reception.

Patron

Actually my instinct was dialing the wrong phone number a...

Actually my instinct was dialing the wrong phone number a few times when I tap a contact. No I didn't tap the wrong one because it called some person in Louisiana and now I'm getting spam calls about 5 times a day. Even worst the instinct won't let you block phone calls!!!!!!

Journeyman

The only complaint I have is the email program is terible...

The only complaint I have is the email program is terible and TV could better. My MP3 player is great, I have all my songs at 128 bit. No problems with the browser since the last update.

Journeyman

Re: Dan Hesse asks, "Why do they still call it a phone, when they do so much more"?

@fwbkotowske wrote:
Dan, My INSTINCT is just a phone. It doesn't do much else well. The media player has the worst sound imaginable making is useless as an MP3 player. The video quality, well it's not very clear and many people see green. The calendar is awful, Mobile Sync lost 540 of my contacts, the camera is a joke, the web-browser only works on some sites and I can't use Opera. The Navigation app is incredible. But mostly, my INSTINCT is just a phone, Dan. I guess that's why they call it such.

My Instinct browses the web, gives me weather, lets me watch live TV, lets me watch movies I ripped from DVDs, lets me use it as a modem, lets me email friends, lets me send and receive Lotus Domino email for work. etc. It's got a calendar and all of the addresses of my friends and family. It tells me the weather, takes pictures, records video, gives me turn-by turn GPS directions, and plays games.

If yours doesn't do any of that, it's broken and you should exchange it.

Journeyman

Without doing the little TV hack, it's a far stretch to call it TV! Weather and News are great when Handmark's servers are up. If you do the TV hack you can forget about News videos... if you don't do the hack, then it's like a gamble of which ones will play. It doesn't have much of a calendar. I really didn't have a negative thing to say about the email client until I got an iPod Touch and was like WOW! So in comparison, the Instinct's email client is weak, incredibly simplistic, boring and can't even display HTML email. So while it may do the basics for email, it's nothing more than a fancy version of text messaging.

What I would like to know is why Sprint's board of directors still call Dan Hess CEO! They should ditch him. A 4th grader could probably do the same job... and probalby has more experience with a cell phone.

Journeyman

johnnythan wrote: My Instinct browses the web, gives me w...

johnnythan wrote:
My Instinct browses the web, gives me weather, lets me watch live TV, lets me watch movies I ripped from DVDs, lets me use it as a modem, lets me email friends, lets me send and receive Lotus Domino email for work. etc. It's got a calendar and all of the addresses of my friends and family. It tells me the weather, takes pictures, records video, gives me turn-by turn GPS directions, and plays games. If yours doesn't do any of that, it's broken and you should exchange it.

I have been a proponent of the phone for a long time (since June 20), but have found this ad campaign a total joke. My phone does have TV, but the quality is very poor - nothing like the Diamond's or other phones. My email does work, as long as I don't want html or need to view an attachment in the most common file format - pdf. The camera is lackluster at best with no flash or zoom options - don't try to glorify it - call it what it is johnnythan. Same goes for the video recording. Don't try to paint a picture here of something that isn't true. I love the phone, but Dan Hesse is the one who is trying to get people to believe it is so much more. I hope we finally get fixed - I opted to keep the INSTINCT over the Diamond that is still sitting on my desk because Sprint can't seem to get me a pick up kit in the mail (after 3 requests). Oh, browsing the web - ever try going to a Flash site? It doesn't work. This isn't about a phone working or not - mine works exactly the way it is designed - kinda crappy right now. I can't wait until the updates to come out to fix so many of these problems then and only then should Dan Hesse be allowed to speak publicly about Sprint's products. Until then, he should be in the accounting office giving us all a refund for poor service for the past several months. Now that would be something.

Journeyman

tv hack ???? where / how please help me find/ do it thanks

Master

Re: tv hack ???? where / how please help me find/ do it thanks

@ibbonging wrote:

It's real easy If you have your "MSL Code"

Goto dialer type in ##3282#

Goto Multimedia

Goto Edit

It will ask for your MSL here

Goto Buffer Length Set It to 20 - ok

It will take you back to the Multimedia Edit screen

You can also try this and see if it helps, By doing this it may make it so you are unable to view news videos in the news APP.You can try and both and see what works for you.

Goto MMG

Set IP at all Zeros - ok

Set port at all zeros - Done

Your phone will reset.

You can call *2 to get your MSL Code

Journeyman

You may need to repeat that for ibBONGing - short term me...

You may need to repeat that for ibBONGing - short term memory thing and all. Oh, how I amuse myself.

Master

Re: You may need to repeat that for ibBONGing - short term me...

@fwbkotowske wrote:
You may need to repeat that for ibBONGing - short term memory thing and all. Oh, how I amuse myself.

Wizard

Folks call it a "phone" because that is its first and foremost function.

Unless it does "phone" well, all else is moot.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat