cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does GPS work without Cellphone Coverage?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Does GPS work without Cellphone Coverage?

Does anyone know if the GPS functionality still works if the phone looses cell phone coverage? I understand the phone is used to download the maps as needed. Is there any way to store the maps on the removable card? - I'm guessing no. I am figuring this phone will not work as a GPS in remote regions, camping all that much, and the like if it requires Cell coverage. Oh, and, is there a way to pull up which satelites are connected to the phone?

5 REPLIES 5
Journeyman

I see the answer in another thread is: No. Sad, but expec...

I see the answer in another thread is: No. Sad, but expected. The other questions could remain: saving maps to the removable disk, seeing the satelite informationg would be a nice software update item.

Journeyman

Re: Does GPS work without Cellphone Coverage?

Does anyone know if the GPS functionality still works if the phone looses cell phone coverage?  It can, but there are no apps on the phone that use that functionality.  

I understand the phone is used to download the maps as needed. Is there any way to store the maps on the removable card? - I'm guessing no.  No is correct.  

I am figuring this phone will not work as a GPS in remote regions, camping all that much, and the like if it requires Cell coverage. Oh, and, is there a way to pull up which satelites are connected to the phone?  As above, it has the ability to do this, but no app that executes it. The Telenav app requires network connectivity to maintain map data as well as initiating GPS readings. The Instinct can work fully autonomous, however it would require an application that leverages that function.

Journeyman

I've already had the chance to test this out. The answer...

I've already had the chance to test this out. The answer is No. I went camping in the Smoky Mountains last weekend and had no cell phone coverage. There was no coverage for Sprint, TMobile, or Verizon phones as far as I know. And the GPS was not able to download maps without coverage. However, I checked and the phone does use GPS satallites to confirm location, which is why it is so accurate. However the GPS application gets all it's data throught the Sprint network. A real bummer in my opinion.

Journeyman

I lost coverage while I was navigating to Jerome, AZ in t...

I lost coverage while I was navigating to Jerome, AZ in the mountains last week. It still gave me directions to my location. I think that if it looses it's coverage after it has all the info in memory it continues for a while. We drove for another 20 miles/min. and it did fine.

Journeyman

Re: Does GPS work without Cellphone Coverage?

Two places to keep an eye on if you're interested in autonomous GPS:

http://forum.mgmaps.com/viewtopic.php?t=1942&highlight=instinctThey have been discussing GPS and Instinct. I've used one of this programs and it worked very well on my old phone. I have every confidence he will write a program for this phone.

http://developer.sprint.com/instinct Someone here has showtn nterest in writing a GPS program that would take advantage of Instinct's ability to do its own calculations.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat