cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone know when the instinct is going to get any new apps ?

Journeyman

Re: Great phone with reliable service BUT the demand for new...

Im sure we will see some new apps in a couple of months, however, there will be no Sprint or Samsung managed "app store" specific to the Instinct. The time for mass interest for Instinct development has come and gone and that will not change. There are newer and much better devices released since the Instinct and on the horizon.....this is where the intersest lies. I hate to say it but the Instinct is now very old news but rest assured there will be some intriguing apps coming from the guys at Instinct-Software.com, just dont expect the flood gate to open with thousands or even hundreds of apps.

Journeyman

That's somewhat disappointing that there is no longer an intrest for the Instinct. Aside from the Windows platform of phones, I thought that the Instinct was the most advanced or the most popular. I've often wondered why any app that exists is only for the iPhone/iPod Touch, Android, and Blackberry; but after reading the messages in this thread I guess the answer is two-part the Instinct is apparently locked down for now and I suppose that probably the iPhone and the Blackberry make up the majority of the cell phone market.

Journeyman

When the phone is opened up it won't matter what the "interest" level in the Instinct is. Most touchscreen java apps "should" work with it, whether they were written specifically for the Instinct or not.

Also, I think Sprint will eventually be running this OS on more of their phones, so in time the almighty apps will come. Remember it took iPhone owners a solid year before they saw app ONE. This unfortunately is part of the growing pains for a new OS.

Journeyman

"no longer an interest in Instinct" says who? you? If there was no longer an interest would their be a such thing as the s30 and the proposed Instinct family of phones?

Journeyman

That is very true, however, at this time there arent that manytouchscreen apps out there.except those that will never work....aka, those for Palm, Blackberry, Android, Iphone, andSymbian. As touchscreen phones gain popularity, apps will increase but it will still be slow in coming. The interest in developing still lies with those that will never work on the Instinct.

Journeyman

If anything all arrows point to more apps, more development, and more interest. Sprint is backing this phone with money and resources. A large % of their customers use this phone, thats what matters.

Journeyman

@Sphinx wrote:
"no longer an interest in Instinct" says who? you? If there was no longer an interest would their be a such thing as the s30 and the proposed Instinct family of phones?

There never has been any interest in developing for this phone as clearly demonstrated by the failed developer contest when it was introduced. No sensible developer is going to waste his time doing work that can only run on one model of phone (with the ovious exception of the iphone where there is only one model supported by a large parent company). However, once java apps have access to the filesystem, GPS, and backgrounding, and work out the quirks of on-screen keyboards, a large number of portable apps should be possible for a large user base.</p>

Journeyman

Gosh Sphinxy, always so defensive! No one said there wasnt Interest in the Instinct.....just not mass interest in Instinct only development (developers were burned too badly the first time around and that will not be forgotten). If there wasnt interest in the Instinct, none of us would be here man. Dont play the put words in my mouth game....I'll win everytime.

Message Edited by troyboytn on 04-12-2009 09:45 PM
Message Edited by troyboytn on 04-12-2009 10:26 PM

Journeyman

Who said anything about Inst,nct only apps? That would be stupid, Sprint should want apps that work on many of their phones. Instinct is simply a reason to kickstart development.

Message Edited by Sphinx on 04-12-2009 10:27 PM

Journeyman

@Sphinx wrote:
Who said anything about Inst,nct only apps? That would be stupid, Sprint should want apps that work on many of their phones. Instinct is simply a reason to kickstart development.

That's the problem, Sprint has many apps that work on many other Sprint phones, just not the Instinct phone...If first impressions left a bad taste in the developers mouth the first time, Sprint better do something special to attract developers this time...last I checked, nobody won the 25,000$...that could be a useful carrot dangling in front of the rabbit move again...

Journeyman

@goygacon wrote:

@Sphinx wrote:

That's the problem, Sprint has many apps that work on many other Sprint phones, just not the Instinct phone...If first impressions left a bad taste in the developers mouth the first time, Sprint better do something special to attract developers this time...last I checked, nobody won the 25,000$...that could be a useful carrot dangling in front of the rabbit move again...

How much more evidence is required, hasn't Sprint repeatedly announced this phone is going to be open platform, that they are signing developers, that they are even have an online demonstration of how its done etc.... I mean people keep asking these app questions, hasn't Sprint answered them? I'd say yes they have, the only thing required of owners is patience, if you not willing to wait then there aint nothing else that can be said.

Journeyman

@Sphinx wrote:
How much more evidence is required, hasn't Sprint repeatedly announced this phone is going to be open platform, that they are signing developers, that they are even have an online demonstration of how its done etc.... I mean people keep asking these app questions, hasn't Sprint answered them? I'd say yes they have, the only thing required of owners is patience, if you not willing to wait then there aint nothing else that can be said.

I don't see any evidence yet. How does the current situation differ from the promised development contest nearly a year ago that produced no results, yet we are all still paying full price for a service that delivers a fraction of what we were misled to expect.</p>

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat