cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does it cost extra to use Exchange email?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Does it cost extra to use Exchange email?

I remember seeing some message when I setup an exchange account on my Instinct, but I can't remember what it said. Do we have to pay a monthly charge to use an exchange account?

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Does it cost extra to use Exchange email?

It's all part of the Simply Everything Plan.

Highlighted
Journeyman
Journeyman

I have a $9.99 Sprint: Premium Browsable - Sprint R Mobil...

I have a $9.99 Sprint: Premium Browsable - Sprint R Mobile Ema charge for July with the Simply Everything 450 for my Outlook 2003 sync...

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just got off the phone with a Sprint rep and it does cost to use the work email application. Go to your "my online tools" and then go to the my content link at the bottom right portion of the page... Click on that link and it will show you what you have signed up for. I did not see where, during set up on my phone, it was going to charge me for this but it is true... It is 9.99 to have work email applications "push" your work emails to your phone : ( I have since disabled the feature and I will miss it as it isNOT included in the everything plan regardless of plan level(I am an everything 450)... Sorry.

Highlighted
Journeyman

That's not what I was told when I called after getting my July bill. I have the 450 SEP. Online it showed Sprint Mobile Email Work in my content manager, even though I never signed up for it (just configured OWA). OWA is part of the phone and included in SEP, you do NOT have to pay for additional software and/or service to us it. For some reason it just gets added without warning when you first setup your OWA. Sprint rep told me to go into the Content Manager and remove Sprint Mobile Email Work AND to use the link to request a refund for the $9.99 I was billed. To this day Sprint Mobile Email Work is no longer listed in my content manager, and I should not billed on my next bill in fact I should receive a refund. AND my OWA has continued to work all this time. The moral of the story is to just keep calling Sprint until you get an answer you like.

Highlighted
Journeyman
Journeyman

Very interesting!!! I have been asking some clarification...

Very interesting!!! I have been asking some clarification to Sprint on this because each operator gives a different version. I unsuscribed the Email application in the Content Manager but the service will stop on 8-31. So the true test will be at the end of the month to see if the OWA stops working or not?

Highlighted
Journeyman

They are refunding the charges for this month and the next bill but it is still 9.99 to have the email pushed out unless the server it originates from is an isp (gmail, hotmail, aol, etc...).When you look at the application it takes for my email to be included it really does cost the 9.99 to have Sprint ("pull" it and then "push" it to your phone). I don't know if it would cost anything if your work email has the ability to be pushed to your phone on its own, then it would be a data upload/download and that is covered (just would be kb and no pull).

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm not sure the email application relies on any kind of "pushing". How would they push my Exchange mail to me when my credentials are stored on my phone? They sure as hell had better not be storing my Exchange account info somewhere so they can "push" my work email to me. I'm pretty sure the email client pulls all of its data.

The OWA feature is built into the phone, it only uses network connectivity that is already included as part of my service plan, and it connects directlyto my company's OWA server. What added "service" is Sprint providing and why in the world would there be an additionalcharge for it??? Is there some go-between server the phone uses that we don't know about? Sprint Mobile Email Work is a client application that you can download (on other phones) and use for $9.99/mo. If you setup OWA on Instinct then Mobile Email Work gets automatically added to your applications in Content Manager and you get charged, BUT it just seems to be a mistake, as you can neither install or use it, nor do you need to. The idea that they could charge extra to "allow" my phone to do essentially the same thing its already doing to retrieve my POP/IMAP mail or Yahoo mail is ludicrous.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@Bradskey wrote:

I'm not sure the email application relies on any kind of "pushing". How would they push my Exchange mail to me when my credentials are stored on my phone? They sure as hell had better not be storing my Exchange account info somewhere so they can "push" my work email to me. I'm pretty sure the email client pulls all of its data.

The OWA feature is built into the phone, it only uses network connectivity that is already included as part of my service plan, and it connects directlyto my company's OWA server. What added "service" is Sprint providing and why in the world would there be an additionalcharge for it??? Is there some go-between server the phone uses that we don't know about? Sprint Mobile Email Work is a client application that you can download (on other phones) and use for $9.99/mo. If you setup OWA on Instinct then Mobile Email Work gets automatically added to your applications in Content Manager and you get charged, BUT it just seems to be a mistake, as you can neither install or use it, nor do you need to. The idea that they could charge extra to "allow" my phone to do essentially the same thing its already doing to retrieve my POP/IMAP mail or Yahoo mail is ludicrous.

The push technology is done by a server. Not your client. The client gets a response from the server saying new mail has arrived and then the client estabilishes a connection to get mail. This can be instantly, that is why its called push. You credentials are stored in your local device, which you aleady knew and not anywhere else.

With other servies or configurations without push, then you are correct. Your client does all of the work, it will check with the server every 10-15 minutes and download emails if there are any that are new. This is called polling.

OWA is a push enabled service, which requires a server to perform. So you are paying for this service, which is completely seperate from your device.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat