cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EMAIL USING SPRINTPCS AS OUTGOING SERVER

Highlighted
Patron

EMAIL USING SPRINTPCS AS OUTGOING SERVER

IF THE SPRINTPCS EMAIL WILL BE DISCONTINUED ON DEC 31 2008, WILL ALL THE USERS USING SMTP.SPRINTPCS.COM AS OUTGOING SERVER BE ABLE TO CONTINUE TO SEND EMAILS?

9 REPLIES 9
Patron

TECH SUPPORT SAYS ONLY EMAIL ACCOUNT THAT WILL WORK WITH...

TECH SUPPORT SAYS ONLY EMAIL ACCOUNT THAT WILL WORK WITH THE INSTINCT PHONE AFTER DEC 31, 2088 WOULD BE ONES LIKE YAHOO, GMAIL, BUT THE OTHER POP 3 USING SMTP.SPRINTPCS.COM AS OUTGOING EMAIL SERVER WOULD NO LONGER WORK. I WAS JUST ASKING THE QUESTION, MAYBE EVERYTHING WILL CONTINUE TO WORK FOR THOSE OF US THAT ARE USING THIS. ANYONE KNOW THE ANSWER?

Journeyman

I have Bellsouth e-mail can someone give me step by st...

I have Bellsouth e-mail can someone give me step by step details on how to set up this account - I found out I have to use the Sprint server for my outgoing - Thanks -

Journeyman

I have bellsouth email also I cant send emails from my ph...

I have bellsouth email also I cant send emails from my phone at all but I receive them just fine. Help anyone? Thanks

Journeyman

This is a huge issue for me and I will be forced to disco...

This is a huge issue for me and I will be forced to discontinue my service with Sprint. I feel that Sprint misrepresented their provided email service to me when I signed up and I have a serious problem with that. I feel that Sprint should allow any users like me to be able to escape from their contacts with ZERO penalties.

Sprint Product Ambassador

Re: EMAIL USING SPRINTPCS AS OUTGOING SERVER

If your ISP does not provide Authenticated SMTP, you should reach out to them to ask why they do not provide such a basic service.

You can also use GMail they provide Authenticated SMTP for free.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

I have set my outgoing smtp on my instinct to smtp.sprint...

I have set my outgoing smtp on my instinct to smtp.sprintpcs.com and finally got it to work for sending outgoing mail. I have a bellsouth email account. I hope they have a solution for after the first of the year to keep it working.

Master

Re: Sprint Administrator, I have tried to reach out to my ISP...

@dalv wrote:
Sprint Administrator, I have tried to reach out to my ISP to get them to allow use of the outging server. Cell phone email is not a priority to them. As the cell phone provider, sprint should worry about the intrest of their customers. Once again, I am no longer gonna be able to send outgoing email after the end of the year. This was a major problem when I bought this phone the first week and it lasted months. As a 10 year and only sprint customer, I'm very disappointed. This phone has been nothing but trouble. I should have bought the IPhone. My friend has not had this many problems. At this point, I'm really thinking of switching to AT&T. Sprint put this phone out to fast to beat the release of the IPhone without thinking of the customers and they continue to disregard us. I'm very unhappy.

This has been asked many times. The official answer was,

The PCS Mail product will be turned off at the end of the year.

SMTP services will NOT be turned off - either smtp.sprintpcs.com will remain active, or a new transparent SMTP gateway will be installed. I don't know which yet, and I don't have any further information from the Messaging team.

None of this is 'official public release' information; just what I've gathered from hallway conversations.

My recomendation has always been to either a) build your own SMTP server (BTDT) or b) use Gmail their offering just plain works.

Will England
Buzz About Wireless Admin
Sprint Nextel

Journeyman

Sprint Administrator, I have tried to reach out to my ISP...

Sprint Administrator, I have tried to reach out to my ISP to get them to allow use of the outging server. Cell phone email is not a priority to them. As the cell phone provider, sprint should worry about the intrest of their customers. Once again, I am no longer gonna be able to send outgoing email after the end of the year. This was a major problem when I bought this phone the first week and it lasted months. As a 10 year and only sprint customer, I'm very disappointed. This phone has been nothing but trouble. I should have bought the IPhone. My friend has not had this many problems. At this point, I'm really thinking of switching to AT&T. Sprint put this phone out to fast to beat the release of the IPhone without thinking of the customers and they continue to disregard us. I'm very unhappy.

Journeyman

Re: Sprint Administrator, I have tried to reach out to my ISP...

@Levi4u wrote:

@dalv wrote:

This has been asked many times. The official answer was,

The PCS Mail product will be turned off at the end of the year.

SMTP services will NOT be turned off - either smtp.sprintpcs.com will remain active, or a new transparent SMTP gateway will be installed. I don't know which yet, and I don't have any further information from the Messaging team.

None of this is 'official public release' information; just what I've gathered from hallway conversations.

My recomendation has always been to either a) build your own SMTP server (BTDT) or b) use Gmail their offering just plain works.

Will England
Buzz About Wireless Admin
Sprint Nextel

Thank you for posting that.

This is correct. The outgoing server will remain up even though the pcs email service is being shut down. I have heard talks of the outgoing server being changed later in the future but all traffic would be fowarded to the new server if this does happen. Which means no changes will need to be made by sprint customers, all the work would be done on sprints side. This outgoing server has been a great work around for cable isp customers so it's not going to go anywhere.

Message Edited by bdroad on 10-09-2008 12:19 PM

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat