cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Look at Marketing

Journeyman

First Look at Marketing

Our Marketing group passed this link along to give people a sneak peak at some of the videos Sprint has produced for our Marketing effort around the upcoming Samsung Instinct. This GPS video is one of five that highlight key advantages of Instinct over the iPhone - the others focus on faster Internet, shooting video, live TV and downloading music. They will be promoted in online media across video sharing sites and major portals such as Yahoo, AOL and MSN starting on Thursday, May 8. These videos will also be available for viewing on www.nowisgood.com.

Link to GPS video

Message Edited by Tristan on 05-05-2008 01:17 PM

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: First Look at Marketing

Gah. Sprint is a year too late.

Instinct this summer is about to go against 3G iPhone which will have the same 3G radio as the Instinct (now were back to pointing fingers who's network is faster), has real GPS capabilities (the circle is obselete), goes to iTunes (which will always have more thunder than the Sprint Music Store), and while the Instinct is busy shooting video, the iPhone is going to be busy watching movies from iTunes. For a $100 million dollar advertising campaign they money might be better spent subsudizing the Instinct further. I have an instinct this isn't good.

Journeyman

@redhatnick wrote:

Instinct this summer is about to go against 3G iPhone which will have the same 3G radio as the Instinct (now were back to pointing fingers who's network is faster), has real GPS capabilities (the circle is obselete), goes to iTunes (which will always have more thunder than the Sprint Music Store), and while the Instinct is busy shooting video, the iPhone is going to be busy watching movies from iTunes. For a $100 million dollar advertising campaign they money might be better spent subsudizing the Instinct further. I have an instinct this isn't good.

You beat me to it. Great advertising campaign, for people who don't really do research. Yes, it may not have Live TV right now, but App store will most definately have a program to do that I'm sure. And it still has at least HALF the space of the lowest iPhone. Like i've said before, its not a real iPhone killer.

I have to sadly agree that this Instinct is about 6-12 months too late. If the Instinct included Nextel's DC, then it might be a somewhat different story. But it doesn't.

Since both the 3G iPhone and the Instinct will be hitting store shelves nearly at the same time, that gives potential subscribers very little reason to consider Sprint and/or the Instinct.

AT&T (and obviously Apple) have CS that is light-years ahead of Sprint's.

AT&T will allow you to activate an iPhone without having to adopt an "exclusive" rate plan (hello, Simply Everything?!?); instead just add a data package (can't do that with Sprint)

AT&T is GSM, so your iPhone can roam virtually ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD; sorry Instinct...you're stuck in fewer international locations than even iDEN

Ah well...we could always hope that the upcoming Motorola Cabo for Nextel (aka an iDEN/WiMAX touch screen flip phone) won't be a pipedream.

As for the marketing campaign, the commercials were good...but as others have already pointed out...too late to be seriously effective.

I mark this as yet another example of Dan Hesse pulling the trigger far too slowly. His first strike came when he was outgunned by Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile when offering unlimited voice plans by a solid 2 weeks. More recently, VZ is now launching its own Push-to-X PTT service (next week) over EVDO rev A before Q-chat comes online nationwide...that's strike two. Now, with this iPhone vs Instinct, well...I'll be generous and call it a foul ball.

Time for Hesse to either swing the bat already, or go home. So far, he's only been caught looking (or swinging too late).

WHERE IS TIM DONAHUE WHEN WE NEED HIM?!?

Message Edited by quasijedi on 05-09-2008 07:33 PM

Journeyman

I'm not going to argue your other points, but AT&T's CS is actually pretty bad. Just check out the most recent JD Power and Associates awards for Wireless Customer Satisfaction.

- VDubb

@VDubb wrote:

I'm not going to argue your other points, but AT&T's CS is actually pretty bad. Just check out the most recent JD Power and Associates awards for Wireless Customer Satisfaction.

- VDubb

I have. Sprint ranked dead last in all areas of the US. Go figure. And that includes Customer Service.

In fact, it wasn't even close. Even as bad as AT&T's CS is, Sprint's is still light-years worse.

Journeyman

I'm waiting on one of these mods/employees/somebody to let us know the plan change stuff is a suggestion not a requirement besides that thier 3g arguement is still valid because CDMA 3g is way more expansive than GSM 3g. Now is the best time to accent the Music Store too (still don't know why they didn't include the fact that they had $.99 songs to go along with thier $99 plans)

Journeyman

As a dealer, I must say we are very disappointed once again by Hesse. Sprint announced this Instinct phone with all the bells and whistles but they left out the push to talk button? WTF were they thinking, we are going to be going up against the 3g Iphone and it will be the same price and have the same features, if Hesse wants to shake things up like he says he does, lets get serious already, the company is in the tank, the moral stinks and on top of that, they just cut all of the dealers commissions!! Nice job Sprint, after selling your products and dealing with your mess for over 10 years, we are moving on to Verizon where at least we can make a living. Now lets see how well you will stop the bleeding when you lose 50% of your indirect dealers to your competition after you sat up on stage at our national convention and flat our lied to our faces about how committed you are to the indirect channel and growing the business.

cmallc, does Sprint's moves really surprise you at all??? Remember, this is still the same Board and management that has take the best of Nextel and tossed it out on its ear.

Journeyman

I hope this is like the rebate for the Curve, you know giving that extra $100 mail in rebate for the SE plan.

Journeyman

@redhatnick wrote:

Hahahah! My instincts were correct about Instinct. Phone News has a editorial that substantiates my claim.

http://www.phonenews.com/editorial-instinct-to-fade-against-second-iphone-3547/

I just hope Sprint's instincts will realize the same and adjust accordingly, but since Sprint is busy chasing the .05% of users that exceed 5GB of month of usage and alienate the remaning 99.5% but i'm sure Sprint won't get the message until there broke. Not that it would happen, but ... Verizon. Supervisor of Sprint. Seperated from Nextel.

Thanks RumCork for the link.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat