cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS on my Instinct is fabulous why buy a separate GPS?

Highlighted
Journeyman

GPS on my Instinct is fabulous why buy a separate GPS?

I was driving my daughter to Lego League for a competition and was not sure how to get there. I even had another mother and daughter in my car. I had never used the GPS before, but it was up and going in seconds and I got there without a problem. I was just amazed as it talked me through the directions. I thought I'd have to read them from the phone! So my question is this... I see so many ads for GPS, but why would anyone buy a separate GPS when you can get it on your Instinct? Oh! I also have used Pandora for a while and was totally psyched once I could get it on my Instinct. I just want my '80's music, ha! I'm getting really into Facebook, Twitter and Teamsugar and would love to hear from other moms who are newly techno inspired like me! What do you use your instinct for (sites, blogs)?

12 REPLIES 12
Journeyman

Re: GPS on my Instinct is fabulous why buy a separate GPS?

smancinelli,

I am glad to hear that you like the Navigation feature on your Instinct. I have often told customers that I think this is one of the best features of the Everything Data Family and the Simply Everything Plans It pays for itself. You do not have to purchase a Garmin, TomTom, or similar device when you have Sprint Navigation at your fingertips. Here is a listing of other devices that are compatiable with the Sprint Navigation service: http://navigation.sprint.com/devices.html

Hope you keep enjoying your device!

Journeyman

I have to agree. The nav is the best feature of the instinct.

Journeyman

Personally I don't think it's quite as spot on as my garmin in all aspects. The route it takes is not my prefered, and it has a tough time pinpointing the exactly location you are in. Basically it still leaves me looking for street names, with the garmin, when it says turn right....you turn right, no need to look.

But the garmin can't always be around, and there's no doubt I like haven't the gps in my pocket at all times if you are someone elses car or for any reason at all. It's a great feature.

Journeyman

@I FORGIT wrote:

The route it takes is not my prefered,

Be sure you have gone into Navigation/Share&More/Preferences and set route type you want it to prefer. Or for more complicated things you can go to http://navigation.sprint.com/snweb/ with a computer browser first and set up a route with multiple stops.

Journeyman

I agree that the GPS is one of the best features of the Instinct. I use mine a lot.

But, in answer to your question, you might find yourself in a remote part of the country sometime where Sprint does not yet have high-speed data service. That is needed to download new map segments as you progress along the route.

For example, when I go to my property in Las Cruces, NM, I still have to take my Tom Tom. Despite the university there, and being the third largest city in the state, Sprint still does not have high-speed data service there. The nearest area with that service is in El Paso, 45 miles away.

Ken

Journeyman

Yes GPS on Instinct is fantastic, just yesterday, I was about to drop my daughter at her babysitter, I'd only driven there once, cause I'm usually at work during that time and I'm not familiar with the area. I decided to stop at a McDonalds to get some ice cream. Decided to use the Nav to find out how far I was from the sitter, it turns out, I was literally right around the corner and Nav took me straight there. Had I not turned it on, I was about to head out to the highway looking for a familiar exit!! I especially love the Nav when I'm out of town.

Journeyman

i too use the nav all the time. its a great feature for a phone to have, and the instinct does it very well. however, there is a good reason to buy a separate gps.

the instinct gps does not have the maps preloaded into the phone, it downloads them on demand. for this reason, you have to be in EV-DO coverage in order for the nav to be useable. i can tell you from experience that the instinct cannot be used to find your way around a ski resort area. so it's useful around major population areas where sprint chose to put up 3g data towers, everywhere else its just a phone still. a 'real' gps device has all the maps and data preloaded into the unit, and therefor only needs a gps signal to fully function. as long as it can see the sky, it will always work without any problems. if you really need gps, do not rely on the instinct and buy the now incredibly cheap standalone gps units. i picked one up for my mother the other day for under 100, and she has an instinct :-P

Journeyman

Thats true about the ski resort and many out of the way places but Sprint does have pretty good 3g coverage in the US

Journeyman

Thanks for this post, it was really helpful. I haven't had a problem yet with maps being unavailable, but it's good to be prepared. My husband and I just traveled all throughout Arkansas to Hot Springs, in some pretty rural areas, and I was still able to use the navigation. A friend of mine used it in rural Kansas at a Girl Scout camp and got navigation, too.We may go skiing this next year, so I'm glad to know not to rely on it then. Thanks again for the clarification to a newbie with all the tech stuff!

Journeyman

will the voice directions still work without 3g? i've have yet to be in an area without 3g i guess.

Journeyman

Re: The GPS is great. I use the GPS when I'm walking, to find...

You can get a 12v to USB power adapter for use in the car.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat