cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodbye Instinct! Goodbye Sprint!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Goodbye Instinct! Goodbye Sprint!

After a year of heartache and despair with this phone, I finally jumped ship and got a 32gb iPhone. The Instinct had so much potential but Sprint just doesn't seem to care. The s30 seemed like a joke in a rounder package and I fear that the Instinct will be placed on the backburner now that the Pre is out.

I'm going to miss the Simply Everything Plan and I hate that I am paying about $30 more a month, but I now have a phone that can do so much more.

Things that I noticed getting worse with the Instinct, or perhaps just service in my area.

VVM - first 10-15 seconds of a message is incredibly choppy.

Calls consistently drop from PCS to basic service and 9 times out of 10 result in a dropped call.

Things that still need to be addressed

Music Player - dear god this app is so freaking SLOW! Takes 5 minutes to load up music on an 8gb card and I have to do this once every other day. I eventually just stopped using it.

TV - still pixelated, still crap, still not fixed.

Open Source the OS, drop the certificate program and allow developerers to freely write apps for it... if you can't do that, then work towards an Adroid replacement.

Customizable GUI! - the same boring gray theme gets old after awhile. The only thing you can really change is the background and you only get to see that for a second or two.

The Instinct could be so much more than what it is, shame Sprint is letting it die. I will leave my wallpaper site up for those brave souls who are waiting through the storm in hope of change 😉

Anyways, just wanted to say my goodbyes and thanks to all the people who contributed to the community!

23 REPLIES 23
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Goodbye Instinct! Goodbye Sprint!

Good Luck. Did you look at getting Pre instead? http://www.billshrink.com/blog/iphone-versus-palm-pre-versus-android/

Highlighted
Patron

Enjoy your new iPhone 🙂 I made also a switch not long ago, but to the HTC Touch. I didn't want to get rid of the Simply Everything.

So yeah, Instinct, the not so greatest product placement of all time. 😉

Highlighted
Journeyman

akipika,

I honestly do not blame you one bit. I have a 32 GB iPod Touch just for the same reasons that Sprint honestly doesn't give a **bleep**,and that you are going to be the first of many to bail on Sprint. I've already noticed many of the same issues on my Instinct along with slower data speeds. I really want to wait until my contract is complete, because I really don't want to screw my credit just to get rid of Sprint. Besides, I keep hearing that Verizon might get a future iPhone in 2011, and that would really be great. I'm just hoping between now and 2011 it does happen. However if this nonsense continues with Sprint, I"m extremely tempted to cough up the bucks and drop Sprint like it's hot!

As tempting as the iPhone 3G and 3GS, I might go the Blackberry route if a future Blackberryhas a better media centric phone. The Storm was definitely a move in that direction. However, I do love HTC's phones but I'll be damned if I'll use Windows Mobile 6.0, 6.1 or 6.5. I want to see what the 7.0 looks like before that. Future Samsung phones are also out of the question because Samsung hasn't done anything and some of their otherphones are crappy too. I am definitely sure if my next phone is going to be a Blackberry, HTC, or a future iPhone. I also hope by then we can get batteries that last longer than 5 hours on 3G/4G radio networks.

Good luck to you and enjoy your new phone. I'm am officially envious of the position you are in.

Peace.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Does anyone really waste time putting backrounds on the phone ( look, did you see it?...hold on, see it now?, lol )...KBui is the only app where that is remotely useful

Message Edited by goygacon on 06-19-2009 01:57 PM

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am right behind you if MR-6 is not resolved in 24hrs.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well I've been with Sprint for about 8 yrs, and gone thru various phones, A500, Readylink and now the Instinct I thought the Instinct had potential for being a touch phonebut have seeing it go down hill with these updates and not getting any better, I was at the Best Buy store the other day and there not even carry the Instinct anymore because of the Pre. I've had my Instinct since Sept and seeing the Ads on the phone, TV stations being taken away and now the Navigation stop working on my Instinct I tap on it and it cycles and then takes me to the Speed Dial tab, plus seems to be more sluggish. Just wondering how many of us get phone calls from Sprint on our phone wondering about there service, i got one yesterday and prior to that was about 2 months ago, surprise they would call before the Iphone 3G-S would come out. I donno know but AT&T is looking better every day with New IPhone 3G-S. Not looking forward to there slightly higher rates and alsoI well probebley lose my 50 at home long distance minutesplan but....I maybe jumping ship as well, come Monday I might go down to the AT&T store to take a look, not like I already have the IPod touch.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yeah, after hearing enough Sprint employees tell me such whoppers as "it's not intended to be an MP3 player" (really? "Instinct vs. iPhone", anyone?), "it works just like before, just not with as many songs" (that's not really "like before", then, now is it?) and basically being treated as though it's my fault for expecting the Instinct to be able to browse full web pages or listen to music, I'm fed up.

I need to convince my wife (she thinks every other phone company will treat us this way, and she's probably right), but I'm sick of taking it lying down. Even if it's a waste of $400 on a futile gesture, I'll feel better for taking away a 4-year customer (w/ 5 years on a family plan prior to that).

Highlighted
Journeyman

@rckymtn wrote:
Well I've been with Sprint for about 8 yrs, and gone thru various phones, A500, Readylink and now the Instinct I thought the Instinct had potential for being a touch phonebut have seeing it go down hill with these updates and not getting any better, I was at the Best Buy store the other day and there not even carry the Instinct anymore because of the Pre. I've had my Instinct since Sept and seeing the Ads on the phone, TV stations being taken away and now the Navigation stop working on my Instinct I tap on it and it cycles and then takes me to the Speed Dial tab, plus seems to be more sluggish. Just wondering how many of us get phone calls from Sprint on our phone wondering about there service, i got one yesterday and prior to that was about 2 months ago, surprise they would call before the Iphone 3G-S would come out. I donno know but AT&T is looking better every day with New IPhone 3G-S. Not looking forward to there slightly higher rates and alsoI well probebley lose my 50 at home long distance minutesplan but....I maybe jumping ship as well, come Monday I might go down to the AT&T store to take a look, not like I already have the IPod touch.

Try this for your Navigation, see if we can't trick it into working...open live search ( push the voice command and say " go to search ) and say the name of a business, select one, and then click on the car icon to see if you navigation starts working for you....Good luck

Highlighted
Journeyman

@lowe0 wrote:

Yeah, after hearing enough Sprint employees tell me such whoppers as "it's not intended to be an MP3 player" (really? "Instinct vs. iPhone", anyone?), "it works just like before, just not with as many songs" (that's not really "like before", then, now is it?) and basically being treated as though it's my fault for expecting the Instinct to be able to browse full web pages or listen to music, I'm fed up.

I need to convince my wife (she thinks every other phone company will treat us this way, and she's probably right), but I'm sick of taking it lying down. Even if it's a waste of $400 on a futile gesture, I'll feel better for taking away a 4-year customer (w/ 5 years on a family plan prior to that).

You've captured exactly what I was thinking. I'm pretty fed upat how inept this company is. Honestly, I do wish somebody with the bucks would initiate a hostile takeover of this company and its board of directors. From the CEO to every regional vice president needs to be fired on the spot. Then almost every developer needs to be fired too. These guys do not have a clue. I really wish someone would bring this up at the next Sprint shareholder's meeting.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Strange how there was so much "Instinct vs.. Iphone" talk in the advertisment of this phone yet, when a problem comes up.. We hear the same mantra concerning "third-party applications"? This is where Sprint falls on it's face..

Apple's app. store vs. Sprint's inability to handle it's advertised "third-party applications". Not to mention the inability to keep up with the staggering number of apps in the other market.

The only reason the PRE is fumbling its way into the right direction is its Linux/Palm platform. I hear its a huge improvement over Sprints usual stale proprietary code. I will spare you my "why open systems work" speach and simply agree that Sprint needs to be gutted like a fish and re-built.

I have been fighting the urge to smash my phone in a very public you-tube protest.. mocking their iphone killer ads..

How many smashed Instincts would the C.E.O. have to receive in the mail for that message to sink in?

Highlighted
Journeyman

@TechGnoll wrote:

I have been fighting the urge to smash my phone in a very public you-tube protest.. mocking their iphone killer ads..

How many smashed Instincts would the C.E.O. have to receive in the mail for that message to sink in?

I feel your pain and smashing my phone has crossed my mind a couple of times. Might make us feel good....but Dan Hesse couldnt care less and probably would have a good laugh. They already know what a sinker this phone has been....they obviously just dont care, especially now that they have a new baby (Pre).

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat