cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodbye Instinct! Goodbye Sprint!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Goodbye Instinct! Goodbye Sprint!

After a year of heartache and despair with this phone, I finally jumped ship and got a 32gb iPhone. The Instinct had so much potential but Sprint just doesn't seem to care. The s30 seemed like a joke in a rounder package and I fear that the Instinct will be placed on the backburner now that the Pre is out.

I'm going to miss the Simply Everything Plan and I hate that I am paying about $30 more a month, but I now have a phone that can do so much more.

Things that I noticed getting worse with the Instinct, or perhaps just service in my area.

VVM - first 10-15 seconds of a message is incredibly choppy.

Calls consistently drop from PCS to basic service and 9 times out of 10 result in a dropped call.

Things that still need to be addressed

Music Player - dear god this app is so freaking SLOW! Takes 5 minutes to load up music on an 8gb card and I have to do this once every other day. I eventually just stopped using it.

TV - still pixelated, still crap, still not fixed.

Open Source the OS, drop the certificate program and allow developerers to freely write apps for it... if you can't do that, then work towards an Adroid replacement.

Customizable GUI! - the same boring gray theme gets old after awhile. The only thing you can really change is the background and you only get to see that for a second or two.

The Instinct could be so much more than what it is, shame Sprint is letting it die. I will leave my wallpaper site up for those brave souls who are waiting through the storm in hope of change 😉

Anyways, just wanted to say my goodbyes and thanks to all the people who contributed to the community!

23 REPLIES 23
Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for that tip goyacon it work fine now.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Highlighted
Journeyman

sad to see you go akipika. I know you were an early adopter that had high hopes like a lot of us. Good luck!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just won a 16G iPod touch in a local radio contest today. After getting it home, I'm totally hooked. AT&T does not claim to have service in my area, but I have seen people using iphones in my town. I am asking a friend of a friend to come over tomorrow. I will drive him to the next town over for a free lunch and to see if his phone will get reception in the areas I need it. If it does, I am stopping by the AT&T store tomorrow and going to the iPhone.

I have completely had it with this phone, the iPhone Killer. I have also had it with Sprint. Before the instinct fanboys yell at me for comparing this phone to the iPhone, please check out the instinct website. It STILL compares the instinct to the iPhone in their own advertisements and hype videos. No more will I have to hear that my phone was not meant to be an MP3 player. No more will I have to wait for apps, only to be heartbroken that I really believed at one time in this phone and that updates would fix things.

I am praying that the iPhone gets reception tomorrow. I will be very happy to pay my cancelation fees. I have had this phone since the beginning, and for the last 6 months, we have heard promises of fixes and patches and opening the OS. I quite literally get mad everry time I pick this phone up to use it now. I cannot wait to cut this albatros (Sprint AND the instinct) from my neck.

Message Edited by ProEJockey on 06-20-2009 01:11 AM

Highlighted
Journeyman

Have fun Aki, wish you the best of luck then. Though I'm sure you'll have a pretty good time with your iPhone 3G S, but more on AT&T being nice to you. Heard their networks being strained badly. Personally I've had the 2nd Gen. 16 GB iPod Touch close to it's launch and I've had fun with it and it's my MP3 too so I don't have much of a need to switch to the new iPhone.

Disappointed by nothing being done to the Instinct even after a year since its launch but not much to do now. The propriatary OS was horribly scraped up in the first place and it's hardware pales in comparison to other phones in the U.S., nevermind the world where a bunch of phones can crush the iPhone easy. (I still say Sprint should allowpeople to download the TouchWiz U.I. into the Instinct since that crushes Sprint's Instinct OS anyday)But the disappointing part is they still could of improved it and pushed the hardware to the max by being smart and doing it right. But they didn't andd even the newest "update" pretty much screws the Instinct over and kills MR-4 and 5's efforts.

There's gonna be newer phones like the second generation of the Instinct, Samsung "Dash"(Name might be changed. I'm wondering if the new announced Jet is it. Hope so, or close to the hardware and form.)

Either way have fun with your iPhone! ^^ And let's hope they can ATLEAST fix up MR-6 unless Sprint's trying to brick everyones Instincts.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@Pasadenapirate wrote:
Good Luck. Did you look at getting Pre instead? http://www.billshrink.com/blog/iphone-versus-palm-pre-versus-android/

Yeah, I considered the Pre, but I didn't want to wait for apps. I think there's only like 30 some apps right now for it and the SDK hasn't been released to the public yet. I already had an iPod Touch and fell in love with it. I already had a bunch of apps for it, was already used to how it worked, so the iPhone seemed a more logical choice than the Pre... plus I haven't been very happy with Sprint lately, so I figure I'd bite the bullet, pay the ETF and jump ship to AT&T.

I really really want to see the Pre do well. I've went through several Palm Pilots and they were great little PDAs... I like Palm as a company and I fear that if the Pre fails, then Palm is sort of doomed... and the last thing I would want is 2 years with a phone by a doomed company. After all, when Samsung is top of the game and they aren't doing anything with the Instinct, then there is something wrong somewhere... and since the Instinct OS was an in house development by Sprint, the blame all falls back to Sprint on the Instinct's failures.

I hope the Pre doesn't suffer the same lack of support as the Instinct.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@NSpeed wrote:

Enjoy your new iPhone I made also a switch not long ago, but to the HTC Touch. I didn't want to get rid of the Simply Everything.</p><p></p><p>So yeah, Instinct, the not so greatest product placement of all time. Smiley Wink</p><hr></blockquote><p>LOL!</p><p></p><p>How do you like your HTC Touch? I have a few friends who have the G1 and they love it... I was preasured heavily into going that route, but opted for the iPhone. From what I've read and seen, WinMo 6.5 will be a nice change, and if they implement the WinMo Zune HD OS over to phone's then Microsoft might be on to something.</p>

Highlighted
Journeyman

@jogomez721 wrote:

@lowe0 wrote:

Yeah, after hearing enough Sprint employees tell me such whoppers as "it's not intended to be an MP3 player" (really? "Instinct vs. iPhone", anyone?), "it works just like before, just not with as many songs" (that's not really "like before", then, now is it?) and basically being treated as though it's my fault for expecting the Instinct to be able to browse full web pages or listen to music, I'm fed up.

I need to convince my wife (she thinks every other phone company will treat us this way, and she's probably right), but I'm sick of taking it lying down. Even if it's a waste of $400 on a futile gesture, I'll feel better for taking away a 4-year customer (w/ 5 years on a family plan prior to that).

You've captured exactly what I was thinking. I'm pretty fed upat how inept this company is. Honestly, I do wish somebody with the bucks would initiate a hostile takeover of this company and its board of directors. From the CEO to every regional vice president needs to be fired on the spot. Then almost every developer needs to be fired too. These guys do not have a clue. I really wish someone would bring this up at the next Sprint shareholder's meeting.

Thankfully, she went for it - my wife loves Google (she's an SEO consultant), so it was a perfect fit for her. She wasn't as angry as I was (I make much more exhaustive use of the phone than she does), but she agreed that Sprint just doesn't have any phones that meet our needs, and that we might as well change carriers instead of settling for the Pre.
I just got off the phone with T-Mobile, and a pair of G1s are on the way for $100 apiece, and I'll be getting a corporate discount there as well. Unfortunately, since they're being shipped, I won't be able to switch until Tue/Wed. And then, of course, I get to cough up a massive ETF - but it's worth it!
That said, when my wife tweeted about our problems (ugh... I hate Twitter), a Sprint rep jumped in and genuinely tried to help. Kudos to him.

Highlighted
Journeyman

lowe0,

I wish I had the financial means to up and change. However, I've got some bills to pay that prevent's me from making such decisive actions or ruining my credit. However, the second it becomes possible, I will do so. Sprint has definitely earned my scorn. However, this does give me time to ponder my next carrier. I'm hoping the rumors of Verizon and iPhone do become true, because I get a 20 percent discount from Verizon from my employer. If I was not on Simply Everything, I'd get a 15 percent discount. That's another thing that aggravates me about Sprint. My company has a contract with them, but we can't even use it effectively.

Ugh!

Glad you and your misses are getting the G1's. Let all of us know about the pros and cons of them. I would be very interested in that.

I also agree with another poster who said switching to TouchWiz. That would be a nice alternative to the mess of an OS we have now.

Peace yall, and Happy Father's Day to all the dad's out there. Nothing better in this world!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Lol, why is this marked as solved? Does this mean the only solution to our woes is to get rid of the Instinct and leave Sprint?

Highlighted
Patron

@akipika wrote:

@NSpeed wrote:

Enjoy your new iPhone I made also a switch not long ago, but to the HTC Touch. I didn't want to get rid of the Simply Everything.</p><p></p><p>So yeah, Instinct, the not so greatest product placement of all time. Smiley Wink</p><hr></blockquote><p>LOL!</p><p></p><p>How do you like your HTC Touch? I have a few friends who have the G1 and they love it... I was preasured heavily into going that route, but opted for the iPhone. From what I've read and seen, WinMo 6.5 will be a nice change, and if they implement the WinMo Zune HD OS over to phone's then Microsoft might be on to something.</p><hr></blockquote><p>Compared to my Instinct, the HTC Touch is like having a great day. Calendar works flawless with my Outlook (I use it for my school schedule, as well as work). And Since I'm a heavy music user, Windows Media Player works fabulous, compared to the INstinct OS. It's not iPod software from the iphone, but gets the job done.</p><p></p><p>What prevents me from leaving Sprint is that AT&amp;T and Verizon cost more to have the same plan, and I use everything from it. Over 300,000KBs per month, over 400 textes, and 3,000 minutes. SEP is the ONLY reason I sticked to Sprint. Next year I'm getting the HTC Touch Pro 2 That one looks gorgeous!</p>

Highlighted
Journeyman

I finally caved in and bought a PRE.. so yes, I am stuck with Sprint for another 2 years.

So far I can tell you it is all that I expected from the Instinct and best thing for me is Pandora works flawlessly.

The PRE's Pandora app actualy works better than the Pandora|One PC app I use at work.

I installed it before I left the store and was off and running.

I still want to gutt Sprint like a fish but, Will give them one more chance so no goodbye sprint for me.

They only give $50 for the Instinct as buyback so if you go this route I would keep the extra battery, memory card and charger,

Sell them on Ebay and get your touchstone with the money. They apparently dont care if you keep the do-dads for now..

Last check the PRE is $199 regardless of upgrade credit - whatever you turn in for buyback credit in stores.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat