cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Happy Birthday Instinct

Highlighted
Journeyman

Happy Birthday Instinct

1 yr gone, and I would like to know....Was it worth it? When you dedicate websites and sections of forums to one particular product it usually means it was a hit...Was it? Give us the good, Give us the bad...Do you still use your Instinct after one year? Are you still an Instinct-Maniac??? Smiley Happy

Message Edited by goygacon on 06-21-2009 09:33 AM

15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Patron

Re: Happy Birthday Instinct

I changed my Instinct in mid April. Got myself an HTC Touch.

The good? Stunning GPS software, blazing fast internet, good touch screen quality, and a good email client

The bad? Locked up a lot, no lock during calls, MP3 player wasn't the best, Not many Apps, horrible OS, glitchy TV

And the fact that I had to change it 3 times due to unresponsive screens, or screens that wouldn't calibrate.

Why change it? I am a music person, so one of the features I used the most was the music player, but it took a while to load, and it wouldn't play all my music files. SO i got a WInMO based mobile phone that the media player plays any type of sound file. TV in my Touch looks better, and the fact that I can get a bunch of Apps and games for it without paying a single cent. GPS and Email works fairly as well as the Instinct, plus I get the benefits of Office Mobile. And the SKyfire web browser blows Opera away. In short words, I found the Touch to be a better phone than the Instinct.

So, I didn't last a year with my Instinct, but I did last a year with my UpStage, which I actually miss.

Sprint had on their hands gold, they decided to drop it.

Does it make sense? No. Apparently Sprint only want to run ONE major phone at a time. Does it make business sense? MAYYYYYYYYYbbee...So yeah, HTC touch, which is like a year older than the Instinct has managed to impress me more!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I can think back to when the first ads came out for the new and only phone to have on the Sprint Network. I was very excited. I always said how it sucked that Verizon and Tmobile had cooler phones and Spint had nothing. So I called about 10 times and demanded to recieve this phone at a new customer discount since I had been with them for going on 7 years. I got the phone at a great price. I was happy. Then I got the phone. I was excited to show the video feeds to a coworker and was instantly embarrased when it was choppy. Oh and I must have hit MUTE on my phone while talking to people at least 100 times in the first month. The gps was ultimately the saving grace for this phone...Until I HAD to rely on it. I took a job that had me traveling the US. Places I had never been before and had no idea how to get around. The fact that I didn't light my instinct on fire is a miracle. I was lost for over 3 hours in Boston. Oh turn left at .5 miles No wait Go straight until you see the whale in the sunset then turn around and hope you don't miss your exit on a cramped freeway. After the fifth time my instinct told me to do a Uturn for no reason at all I took it in to be repaired. No such luck. Then the phone screen died. Couldn't answer my calls. Couldn't use the touch screen at all. Replaced it. Within 4 months the microphone died. I could hear people that called me but they couldn't hear me. So Instinct #3. Two months after that the phone bricked on me so I had to get instinct #4. And after downloading the newest update I can't use anything. not movies, entertainment, nothing. I was reading that I had to redownload pandora but the sprint digital longue is down. So yes after 1 year I still have this *bleep* phone that must have been sired by Lucifer himself. Do I want a different phone. absolutely. Do I know which one? Not a chance. Pre seems awesome but the keyboard is microscopic. Htc pro's keyboard is bigger then the pre but not as big as I want it. So I am stuck. Maybe its time to leave sprint after 8 years of loyalty. Any recommendations?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've been here pretty much from the beginning. Got the phone on day one and I loved it like a new born child for the first 2 months. 4 Instinct's later, I just got to the point where enough was enough and went to AT&T for the iPhone 3G S. Man o man, you talk about a difference in class! The iPhone is an amazing piece of technology. It works as advertised... minus AT&T not implementing MMS until "late summer" but I can live with that.

I had such high hopes for this phone, only to have them shattered. Very few apps, incredibly slow... and the time it takes to load up music on an 8gb card, I could actually GROW food 😉

I still like the Live Search and GPS with voice turn by turn directions on the Instinct and I like how I can assign custom ringtones for text messages and voicemail. The SEP $99 everything unlimited plan is probably the best thing about the phone, other than that, I can't think of anything else that I like about this phone after a year.

I'm keeping it until the end of June, then I will walk in the Sprint store with a big grin on my face tell them where they can stick this little box of lies!

It was nice to see that the Devs did at least try... but my guess is all focus will now be on the Pre, so if ever there was a time to drop this phone, it would be now. Sorry Instinct, you had a year, but nothing really has changed. After 2 days with the iPhone I only wish I would have done this sooner.

Highlighted
Journeyman

OMG, only just one year!Doesn't it seem LONGER?

And, does thismean thatwestill havethe 'Terrible Two's'to GO???

AHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Then the phone screen died. Couldn't answer my calls. Couldn't use the touch screen at all. This Happen to my phone, Call samsung for the one year warranty, they are trying to charge me $70+ dollars, to fix it. I cancel the warranty on the phone, seeing how much they want for the deductible.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The Instinct at one year. This is my assessment.

The so called iPhone Killer, gets killed by the iPhone 3G S. Every advantagethat theInstinct had, has been essentially beennullified by the iPhone 3.0 software update. The apps kills the Instinct giving them so much capabilities beyond anything the Instinct has. Infact, I'd say a flawless victory by Apple.

The browser, that you actually can't browse anything thanks to a out of memory error. No Sun Java compatibility, no Adobe Flash, no Silverlight, and other web standards.

A music player that a song limit. No equalizer, no visualizer, and poor volume control.

Updates that break the phone's functionality. Functionality that gets reduced over time.

A carrier that fails even the most basic customer service or even its carrier's responsibility.

TV service that fails or often glitchy at best. Reduced number of channels.

Radio with reduced functionality.

One year later, still no native stock application.

Advertisements on our native apps from Handmark.

A phone that constantly needs to be reset and loses radio contact frequently.

Slower network speeds for data.

Bad battery usage that lowers the battery than the full 5.75 hours. Noextended lifebatteries to give us extended performance.

Overall, I give this phone high marks on potential but overall AN EPIC FAIL IN ACTUAL PERFORMANCE!

Honestly, I've come to the conclusion that the OS needs a complete re-write from scratch, a new OS in either Touchwiz or Android as others are saying again I might add, or the third alternative which is to drop both Sprint and the Instinct.

So at one year old, this phone has really backfired for Sprint.

Message Edited by jogomez721 on 06-22-2009 03:27 PM

Highlighted
Journeyman

My Instinct will celebrate its first birthday on June 25th. I got it to satisfy my want for a touchscreen phone without having to switch to the "other carrier" to get one. I accepted its limited capabilities at the time web-browsing-wise. I have gotten good use out of the camera, video capability, ability use a memory card, bluetooth. Call quality is excellent. Once I was able to install and use Opera Mini I pretty much stopped using the stock browser. I think it's been worth having it. I'm not using it now since I got a Pre on one of the other lines on our family plan. But I'll keep the Instinct for the remainder of its two-year contract as a back-up/spare phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

My Instinct is not quite a year old, August is my year. I still like the Instinct alot. I don't seem to have most of the issues that are complained about so often. I am sure they exist just not on my phone. Very rarely crashes or hangs, my music loads up superfast with a class 6 8GB card. Calls have been perfect, no drop calls, call quality is superb. GPS has worked pretty well the limited times I have used it. My TV has been perfect since I hacked it. I do call BS on the taking the channels away, that burned me bad because my bill stayed the same, if they take away something I had when I signed the contract then lower my bill. Other than stealing the TV channels I have little to complain about.

I ordered mine online and I guess I got a good one.

I like the Instinct so much I am not going to upgrade until the Instinct 2 (dash, deuce, whatever they call it) comes out.

Can,t stand AT T Apple would make alot more money if they got rid of the exclusivity agreement with that crappy carrier.

Highlighted
Patron

I changed my mint condition Instinct for a Blackberry Curve that had scratches, dings, and some sticker residue on the back of the battery slide. And I think he got the worst part of the exchange.

Thank you Instinct for being my first multi-featured phone. But much like my first car... I really couldnt wait to get rid of you.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Wow, my birthday thought (and one other from someone else) was deleted from this thread without even so much as a notice saying it was deleted. Censorship is a beautiful thing. I didn't even cuss.

I guess my new birthday thought for the instinct is this...

At least it is one year closer to death.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@jogomez721 wrote:

The Instinct at one year. This is my assessment.

The so called iPhone Killer, gets killed by the iPhone 3G S. Every advantagethat theInstinct had, has been essentially beennullified by the iPhone 3.0 software update. The apps kills the Instinct giving them so much capabilities beyond anything the Instinct has. Infact, I'd say a flawless victory by Apple.

**MESSAGE TRUNCATED FOR SPACE, BUT QUOTED FOR TRUTH**

Overall, I give this phone high marks on potential but overall AN EPIC FAIL IN ACTUAL PERFORMANCE!

Honestly, I've come to the conclusion that the OS needs a complete re-write from scratch, a new OS in either Touchwiz or Android as others are saying again I might add, or the third alternative which is to drop both Sprint and the Instinct.

So at one year old, this phone has really backfired for Sprint.

Message Edited by jogomez721 on 06-22-2009 03:27 PM

Well said. But we can't compare it to the iPhone can we.

That is against the rules here, even though that is exactly what Sprint does. Sprint compares itself to the iPhone all the time when it benefits them, but doesn't allow the negative here on their forums. It is outright fraud. See the pic below for cap of http://www.instinctthephone.com/

Do as I say, not as I do.

instinctthephone.com

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat