cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! 8 gb Micro SDHC Class 2,4, or 6? Reformat?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Help! 8 gb Micro SDHC Class 2,4, or 6? Reformat?

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forum and found the responses in here to be very helpful regarding our enthusiasm for the Samsung Instinct.

I did a search and read through all the posts on the forum and was not sure about what to think regarding the type of micro sd card for the device.

So my question is, Does the Samsung Instinct capable of running an 8 gb card whether it be Class 2, 4 or 6?

Has anyone experience any problems with any of the 8 gb Class 2,4 or 6 micro sd cards?

Final question, Do you have to reformat the 8 gb card whether it be Class 2,4 or 6?

I have heard of the 16 gb card that Sandisk is coming out with. Can the Samsung Instinct handle that much memory without an upgrade from Sprint?

Anxiously waiting for any response. Your help is greatly Appreciated. Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Help! 8 gb Micro SDHC Class 2,4, or 6? Reformat?

Instinct works with up to class 6. For my microsd card, all I did was turn the phone off, stick it in, and turn the phone back on. The folders it needed were all there and I never needed to format the card.

someone mentioned if the 16gb card is class 6, it might work on the instinct, but the manual says the instinct only works with a max of 8.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: I am having trouble with a Kingston 8gb micro sd hccard....

How are you trying to access the micro sdhc on your computer? I've seen some card readers that have problems with HC cards, 4gb and over on some of the card readers here at my work won't show up in Windows. There's nothing wrong with the card, just the reader. Sometimes you can find a firmware update for the card reader... With my SanDisk 8gb card, it came with a tiny little USB reader that works perfectly.

The other solution is just to keep the card in your phone and connect your phone to your computer via USB and read the card from the phone.

You shouldn't have to format the card.

In theory as long as the 16gb cards keep with SDHC, then they should work. I've read about people having luck with 16gb cards with the Instinct, but I haven't found one yet to try. The 8gb cards start out at around $18 on Amazon, so it's a whole lot cheaper just to go with two 8gb cards as opposed to the $80-150 I've seen the 16gb cards listed at.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: I am having trouble with a Kingston 8gb micro sd hccard....

I put the 16GB in my Instinct and it works fine. Class 2 is rated for video read/write speeds so I would go with that. I got my card off of eBay since my local stores (Best Buy, etc.) doesn't carry them yet.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am having trouble with a Kingston 8gb micro sd hccard....

I am having trouble with a Kingston 8gb micro sd hccard. Computer doesn't recognize the sd, why???

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Help! 8 gb Micro SDHC Class 2,4, or 6? Reformat?

i got a 4GB class 6 and do not notice a speed difference. I'd recommend an 8(or16) GB class 4 card. (its cheaper than the class 6)

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat