cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you play music on the Instinct/What is the maximum number of songs permitted?

Journeyman

How do you play music on the Instinct/What is the maximum number of songs permitted?

I have about 240 .aac formatted songs that were added tomy Instinct through the Media Manager. The 2GB memory card is only half full. However, when I go to the Music application on the Instinct, it tries to load the page and update songs. Then I receive an error message stating the Maximum number of songs has been exceeded, delete some before restarting the application. How much is "some"? I've scoured all of my documents and can't find anything regarding a maximum number of songs allowable for the music player. Besides, what would it matter how many songs I have if my memory card has plenty of free space on it? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Tags (4)
8 REPLIES 8
Journeyman

Re: I had the same problem. I have figured it out. If you dow...

I moved almost 1gb of songs to my phone at once last week, (I re-ripped my cd's after the media manager update) and the phone took them all fine in one shot, they were all in mp3 format.

Journeyman

I had the same problem. I have figured it out. If you dow...

I had the same problem. I have figured it out. If you download too many songs at once, it is too much data (goes from computer to phone to memory card) To make it work, simply add 1 playlist at a time. (1 album / CD - 10 to 12 songs.) Unplug the phone from the computer and go into the phones music application. It will pull those songs off of the phone and back them up onto the card. You're all set. Next, plug back in and do the same for the next playlist...

Journeyman

Re: I had the same problem. I have figured it out. If you dow...

It turns out I had some protected files in my playlists. Once I removed them, I was able to sync files and now i don't get the "exceeded maximum song amount" error. However, the problem I'm having now is that the phone won't recognize that I have any songs on it. It will scan the card just fine without any errors, but when I go back to my phone media player, it will say there are no songs on it. I transferred two songs onto phone, 1 at a time. Why aren't they showing up on my phone?

Journeyman

No matter what "workarounds" anyone comes up wi...

No matter what "workarounds" anyone comes up with they should not be necessary. The phone is great but, the Media Manager software is not up to par and the "Maximum Number of Songs Exceeded" error is bug that has to be fixed. I have no problem when I download songs from the Digital Lounge - no matter how many I download - I have trouble when I transfer non-protected songs to my phone and when I rip CDs directly to my phone. If that along with the inability to sort contacts by last name is fixed...I'll be a happy user because otherwise the phone is great!

Journeyman

Re: No matter what "workarounds" anyone comes up wi...

Oh I love the phone too. It's miles above my old one, and I doubt I'll want to turn it back over toSprint at any time soon.I just want it to work. The music player has been the biggest hassle for me so far....it allows me to put songs on it in the wrong format and then gives me a stupid error, to which I have to re-download content after I findthe source of the error,etc. HUGE hassle, Samsung. If I could just get my music player to work on my Instinct, it'd be great. That's all I ask for. I have 9 hours of number pushing at workto do on a daily basis, and the only thing that saves my sanity is a strong playlist. Please, someone, rescue me from my music-less world...and get my Instinct to do my bidding.

Journeyman

I had this exact problem, same error message. Most of my...

I had this exact problem, same error message. Most of my cd's were ripping as wma format, and they just wouldn't sync to the phone. No one with sprint tech support could tell me if it was the song's format, or a problem with media manager software. I ended up deleting media manager and redownloading through sprint.com/downloads. Still the error. I wiped the settings off the phone, putting it back to manufacture default, that did nothing.. I was even told by a Samsung tech support guy that I would have to try it one or two songs at a time, unplug the usb, check the phone, repeat. Can u imagine?? Downloading 300+ songs one at a time!! One day I'm at a friend's house, I plug my phone into her computer, and using window's media player I sync all her music to my phone with no error message and no maximum number of songs exceeded. And I was able to do it, like 3 to 4 albums at a time. For some reason, she only downloads music in the mp3 format, not in wma format. And from then on I had no problem and still haven't. I deleted sprint media manager off my computer for now. I don't know how to change the format from wma to mp3. But it seems to work for now.

Journeyman

can u put one of your sogs from a playlist and set it as...

can u put one of your sogs from a playlist and set it as a ringt0ne?

Journeyman

Re: can u put one of your sogs from a playlist and set it as...

You can use myxer: www.myxer.com to set songs as your ringtone. You have to upload them to myxer from your computer and then go to the myxer website from your phone to download it.

On another note, the music player on my Instinct is finally working...somewhat. I can't get all album artwork to show up, even though all of my songs have album art and very thorough ID tags (edited through iTunes). They show up in Media Manager, but not on the phone itself. I've found that I can't sync songs to my phone from Media Manager at all. I have to plug the SD card into my computer and manually use Windows to copy songs over from my computer. Another problem I'm having, is that I can't get some CDs/songs to even show up on my phone. I have no protected/read-only songs on the SD card, but some of my CDs/songs are in limbo, appearing on Media Manager when I hook the phone up to it, but the phone won't recognize it in my player. Why won't all of my songs/CDs show up? Is anyone else having problems with songs going into limbo? And some of my songs (even though the tags are done properly), refuse to show artist and album name, leaving my playlists disorganized and difficult to sort throug. This software is terrible, or am I just being too picky because I've been spoiled by how effective and user-friendly iTunes is?

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat