cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to listen to .wav attachments

Highlighted
Patron

How to listen to .wav attachments

I was trying to simplify listening to multiple voicemail boxes by forwarding my Vonage voicemails as .wav attachments to my gmail account, then reading them in Instinct mail. The email from vonage shows fine, including the .wav attachment. The instinct asks if I want to save the attachment, which I can view when browsing other attachments. However, when I click on the file to listen I get an error. Any suggestions to resolve this? It happens every time, despite the file seemingly being recognized as a music file, with musical notes icon.

Tags (3)
6 REPLIES 6
Patron

Re: How to listen to .wav attachments

@c4400 wrote:

WAV is not a file type that Instinct plays in the Gmail application

It will have to be an mp3, as far as I know.

I wonder why a phon, which is supposed to beat the iPhone, does not read many formats...kinda ironic, isn't?

Journeyman

WAV is not a file type that Instinct plays in the Gmail application

It will have to be an mp3, as far as I know.

Patron

Thanks. Guess I was confused by the fact that, though it...

Thanks. Guess I was confused by the fact that, though it may not read it, it still recognizes the .wav file as a music file (shows the music icon, starts the music player). Instead of a generic "can't open this file" the message should be ".wav is not a supported file type" before it even tries to open it. I'll test the .mp3 with my gmail. It it works I'll ask Vonage if there's an option for .mp3 instead of .wav.

Journeyman

Re: Thanks. Guess I was confused by the fact that, though it...

I'm surprised Vonage doesn't use a more efficient and more widely used audio codec like mp3, rather than just uncompressed PCM WAV files...

Patron

I checked with Vonage, just in case. "Voicemail file...

I checked with Vonage, just in case. "Voicemail files should play in any media player that supports WAV format. Due to codec issues, you may not able to play the voicemail files on your mobile phones. You may try with different media players." What we already knew and response with a statement of fact. I'll go back to text notification, though the prospect of listening to my home voicemail without having to dial and log in was exciting. Perhaps Sprint can work towards supporting other media formats. END!

Journeyman

I doubt it. WAV is just not an efficient way of storing and transmitting data, when there's MPEG1 Layer 3, and Mpeg 4/AAC/AAC+ now. I don't know of any Sprint phone that ever did or does play WAV files. I'd kick Vonage in the groin for using WAV 😉 heh.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat