Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need some clarification...

Highlighted
Journeyman

I need some clarification...

When getting this phone, the sales rep that I was dealing with told me that the Instinct used the 3G network platform, and that we would get 3G in our area within 3 months (this was back in early august). I was wary at first because of all of the bugs, but I saw that Sprint was at least working on updates, and I knew things would get better after I got 3G (TV for example). Only problem is, 3 months later, no 3G. I went online and chatted with Sprint, and they told me two things that really made me angry: 1-There are no plans for 3G in our area in the foreseeable future, and 2-This phone doesn't use 3G but uses EVDO rev A, which at one point I thought was the same but now I know it is not, so 3G would be useless to me. On top of that, there is no EVDO rev A support coming to our area in the foreseeable future as well. Then, a couple of days later, I come on here and everyone is talking about how there is a 3g network outage in the us effecting phones. If this phone does use EVDO rev A, then why is 3G effecting us?!?!?!

Message Edited by bnsaflsujt on 11-25-2008 11:59 AM

15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: I need some clarification...

EVDO rev A is 3G. What city are you in?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I thought that at one point too, but looking it up on wikipedia, it appeared that they were different. City: Sulphur/Lake Charles, LA

Highlighted
Journeyman

Highlighted
Journeyman

Highlighted
Journeyman

CS told you the Instinct wasn't 3G? Where does Sprint find these people?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Actually, to be more accurate, here wording was that she had just spoke to someone in their technical support department, and they said that it wasn't 3G.

Highlighted
Journeyman

That's even more ridiculous.

Highlighted
Journeyman

2G = second generation. 3G = third generation. These are general terms. 2G speed is similar to dial-up. 3G speed is similar to slow broadband. Depending on the carrier and technology used, 3G speeds can vary by quite a bit but will always be much faster than 2G speeds which is what you currently have in St. Charles, LA. Based on the coverage maps 3G exist about 100 miles west of you, in the Houston area.

Highlighted
Journeyman

From Wikipedia:

CDMA2000 is a hybrid 2.5G / 3G technology of mobile telecommunications standards that use CDMA, a multiple access scheme for digital radio, to send voice, data, and signaling data (such as a dialed telephone number) between mobile phones and cell sites. CDMA2000 is considered a 2.5G technology in 1xRTT and a 3G technology in EVDO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDMA2000

Highlighted
Journeyman

I know that much, it also exists about 160 miles east of me (Sulphur or Lake Charles, LA) in Baton Rouge. I wouldn't go so far as to say that I have dialup like speeds, I can stream video through orb, albeit a little choppy... But the main problem was that the rep said we would get the higher speed (3G) by this time. I was lead on and am getting more fed up by the week.... AND IM USUALLY A PATIENT PERSON!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

@bnsaflsujt wrote:
no, these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evdo#TIA-856_Rev_A and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3G

The ability to roam onto Alltel and Verizon's networks might be more important than those details.

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat