cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If phone is in airplane mode, Bluetooth won't work

Highlighted
Journeyman

If phone is in airplane mode, Bluetooth won't work

Has anyone noticed that if you put your phone in airplane mode, the Bluetooth connection won't work. Is there a way around this? If you're traveling and simply want to listen to music, for example, you cannot use your Bluetooth headset.

Tags (3)
6 REPLIES 6
Journeyman

Re: If phone is in airplane mode, Bluetooth won't work

Um.... that would defeat the purpose of Airplane Mode. Airplane mode kills ALL radio transmissions to comply with FAA regulations.

Bluetooth requires transmission of data over radio waves, which is not allowed on flights, so that would never be allowed during Airplane Mode.

Message Edited by c4400 on 07-18-2008 10:32 AM

Journeyman

You really could just leave Airplane mode off. Last year, the FAA finalized its studies about cell phones interfering with airplane instruments. They concluded that there is no real proof that cellphones cause a problem but they decided to leave the ban in effect.

Message Edited by Blubble on 07-18-2008 10:51 AM

Journeyman

Heh, yea,I know that cell phones do not interfere with airline equipment whatsoever. All that equipment is shielded. Plus, Cell phones are like 0.6 watts, and bluetooth is like 0.0013 watts or something ridiculously low.

I've read that the initial ban on cell phones came from the FCC and the carriers because of the concern thatcell phones on planes would confuse or cause havoc with thecell towers by moving too fast and could cause problems with handoffs, and they just didnt want to bother with it. I dunno.

The phone is NOT going to send the plane into a tailspin. But.. allowing Bluetooth will never happen in Airplane Mode just to comply with the FAA ban on radio transmission or receiving in the air, howeverunnecessary the rule is.

And we all want to be good little boys and girls and turn off our cell phones when they ask, so that some overzealous flight attendant doesn't have the local police department meet you at the gate upon arrival, right?

Journeyman

Sad but true. Air waitresses have been given entirely too much power since 9-11. Air waitresses on US airlines have always had bad attitudes, but now they are unbearable. I travel internationally a lot and always use foreign airlines whenever possible. The service, food and attitude are almost always better. The stewardesses are usually younger and better looking. I was once on a small South American airline where the stewardess uniform was shorts and high heels. That is a nice break from the old, orney troglodytes on US airlines.

The EU recently lifted its ban on cell phone use in planes. Honestly, I still like the fact that people aren't allowed to make calls in flight. Other passengers can be annoying enough without having to listen them yak.

Message Edited by Blubble on 07-18-2008 11:09 AM

Journeyman

Well, if you ever do have your phone on in flight, you will realize that youdon't get signal anyway. I never understood the whole noise people make about being able to use the phones inflight becauseyou're cruizing at 35,000 feet, at like550 mph, you wont get too great of or any signal at all... and if you did, you'd be out of range of any given tower veryfast. shrug

Journeyman

I suppose it depends on where you are or at what stage of the flight you're in. I've had a few of my psycho friends call me on a cell phone from in flight.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat