Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instinct Application Contest Results

Highlighted

Instinct Application Contest Results

The Samsung Instinct™ Java Developer Contest closed on August 29th, 2008.  We appreciate the interest in the contest.

Unfortunately, we are unable to announce a contest winner or release any information about the applications submitted. Our objective is to deliver a meaningful opportunity for developers that fosters the creation of entertaining and useful applications for our customers.

We expect to offer additional contests in the future and will incorporate the lessons learned from this initial effort. 

Thank you for your interest in this contest.

24 REPLIES 24
Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks. If you had just posted that to begin with we would have understood. Basically what you're saying is, the results weren't as expected, but future contests should yield better results. Completely understandable. I really do hope you guys learned from this past contest in more ways than one.

Highlighted
Journeyman

That doesn't answer when it's announced, just that another contest is coming

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for the update. Does this mean thatyou did not receive a winning code submissionor does this mean that you have a winner and for the sake of privacy cannotdivulge it?

Highlighted
Journeyman

LMAO... sorry, but it's not like we didn't see this one coming! Seriously!

1. OPEN UP THE OS! Remove all restrictions! Drop your certificate program! Follow in the steps of Google. Look at the Android contest! AMAZING RESULTS! An Open OS also allows people to FIX BUGS and submit the fix to Sprint for an OTA push. Less than 5 hours of Android going OpenSource, they already had their first community supplied fix. WOW! Google 1 - Sprint 0

2. THEME CONTEST! We want to be able to customize our phone. I'm sort of bored with the default EMO theme 😉

3. WHY? Why did it take so long to release this information? 2 months after the contest and we find out basically there was nothing worth submitted worth winning?

4. FREEDOM! If anyone submitted an app and it was REJECTED, can they now in turn release their app themselves?

5. TRUST! Why would a developer trust Sprint now for future app contests?

6. LESSONS! What lessons were learned from this? Surely you can relay that information without the need for some legal approval.

Highlighted
Master

@InstinctAdmin wrote:

The Samsung Instinct Java Developer Contest closed on August 29th, 2008. We appreciate the interest in the contest.

Unfortunately, we are unable to announce a contest winner or release any information about the applications submitted. Our objective is to deliver a meaningful opportunity for developers that fosters the creation of entertaining and useful applications for our customers.

We expect to offer additional contests in the future and will incorporate the lessons learned from this initial effort.

Thank you for your interest in this contest.

What a joke, So are you saying there is no winner? Or are just unable to announce the winner at this time?Will we EVER see the APPs that were submitted? It seems your only objective is to string us along with all the promises and not to actually deliver anything.

Highlighted
Patron

Wow. Just wow. So you advertise this whole app contest....and then you can't announce the winners? Brilliant. Things like this is why Sprint stock is at $3.15 and dropping. Why Sprint continues to hemorage customers each quarter. Despite having FASTER network speeds and BETTER calling plans than the competition.

Step your game up Sprint!

Highlighted
Journeyman

<blockquote><hr />Levi4u wrote: </blockquote><blockquote><p>What a joke, So are you saying there is no winner? Or are just unable to announce the winner at this time? Will we EVER see the APPs that were submitted? It seems your only objective is to string us along with all the promises and not to actually deliver anything.</p><hr /></blockquote><p> </p><p>My guess is there was nothing really eye catching worth winning, and thus no winners.  I think in this case they actually had a good intention and did not intentionally string us along with promises...  I bet they really expected to have some fantastic submissions, but found out that the whole widget and lack of keyboard hampered developement and thus the result of an epic failure of a contest.  It's a shame that Android had it's contest completed, and ready to go BEFORE the first Android phone hit the streets.  </p><p> </p><p>If the Instinct was not rushed to market, and we had the correct and compliant keyboard from the start, we would have already had access to apps.  But we get stuck with TRIAL games.  TRIAL GAMES?  No wonder Instinct Game Piracy was so big over at the usual place 😉  Who wants to play a game for 60 seconds only to be hassled about buying it.</p><div class='message-edit-history'><span class='edit-author'>Message Edited by MikeLee on </span><span class='local-date'> 10-27-2008</span><span class='local-time'> 11:35 AM</span></div>

Highlighted
Journeyman

@akipika wrote:

1. OPEN UP THE OS! Remove all restrictions! Drop your certificate program!

Amen to that! It's such a simple change for Sprint to simply push out a new policy file to the phones, and all the signed application hassles would be gone.

If people are horribly worried about security of applications, Sprint can make it an "opt-in" selection on their web site, or even in the phone settings. Log in to your account, and "opt-in" to allow apps signed by anyone to run. Since Sprint provides a free 3-year certificate in the development kit, signing itself is not an obstacle to developers, just Sprint signing.

Highlighted
Journeyman

people continue to forget this isn't a phone like the iphone or G1. This isn't a smartphone. It's barely a multimedia phone. This is a phone on par with something like a RAZR, except with a large touch screen.

I don't expect apps like the android has. F no. An app that uses the camera to scan your eye and unlock the phone? The instinct won't ever see that. What I do expect to see is things like the NFL and Nascar apps. Just apps that fetch data from the internet and present that info nicely to the user.

This is a nice phone, but the apps won't ever be like the android's apps. Iphone maybe, but not android's.

Highlighted
Journeyman

This announcement sounds like it was authored by an attorney. Who knows what the real story is, but you can bet we will be the LAST to know. What a slap in the face to all your Instinct customers, yet AGAIN!. How about just telling us in plain English what happened with the contest instead of ever-so-carefully crafting some announcement that tells us nothing. Is Sprint that afraid of a lawsuit? To the point that there is absolutely no candid information available?

Admins, I'd sincerely like to know, who is your boss? Where does the buck stop with these kinds of decisions, as far as deciding how much to tell the public on this forum? What is this person's rationale for not just being straight up with us. Canwe getsome straight answers, please? We deserve AT LEAST that.

Message Edited by MarkBugs on 10-27-2008 05:13 PM

Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

I can guarantee you that was authored by an attorney.  Where the 'buck' stops?  Depends.  Some it's corporate communications.  Some it's product development.  Some it's legal.  Some it's us, especially when no one else will take the heat for the message.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat