cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instinct HD battery bug

Journeyman

Instinct HD battery bug

I got the HD and charged it over night and decided to check out the camera. The battery was fully charged and I took 5 pictures and the battery drained down to 50% in less than 2 min. As i was taking the pictures i could see the battery icon dropping. This is bad really bad. Whats the point of having a camera if i can only ue it for 3 for 4 min before the battery is dead?

28 REPLIES 28
Journeyman

Re: Instinct HD battery bug

Just a note to the Moderators and Administrators, it's been a just a couple of days since Best Buy launched the phone, and so far EVERYONE is complaining about this issue....

Journeyman

There is definitely some kind of power management issue with the phone.  It's blows through the battery waayy too fast.  My first charge lasted less than 2 1/2 hours, the phone is getting crazy hot, and the battery indicator never shows 100%.  Please don't drop the ball on this one Sprint/Samsung.

Journeyman

Don't you realize by now that Sprint is saving a ton of money by only having the general public test their phones?

Journeyman

Here's a suggetion turn off the Wifi. I know people who have wifi phones and weather it is connected to the internet or not it drains the battery hardcore.

Journeyman

That's kind of counterintuitive.  Using wifi should use less battery power, since your data source is nearby versus a tower 10 miles away.  They were telling Pre owners to use wifi to save their battery.

Journeyman

I got thus phone on Friday, September 25, 2009 and the battery is a real issue. It takes very little usage for the battery to drop from 100 percent to 50 percent. When trying to listen to the radio and charge the phone at the same time, the phone eventually reaches a point where it displays the message " Battery is too hot or too cold, phone is shutting down or charge cannot continue" the phone then shuts down. The phone also runs much hotter than the original Instinct when it is being used and charged at the same time out in an open area (not buried in the couch cushion or under a pillow).

Journeyman

I purchased a brand new Samsung Instinct HD today (September 28, 2009) and I agree with all of the previous comments here. I noticed that the battery level was going down unbelievably fast, so I decided to charge it. I charged the phone and it told me that it was FULLY CHARGED, so I immediately checked the battery level and it read only 80 percent charged. I came across this forum, and I read about other users having the exact same problem. I took 10 or 11 pictures and the battery was down to 50 percent, this was less than a few minutes after the phone was 'FULLY CHARGED.' The Samsung Instinct is a beautiful phone, and it was just what I was looking for, but I expect to be returning it, because it would not be of much help with such a battery problem. Bill

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just took mine back to Best Buy. Kinda glad I did. I'm tired of the Instincts. I had issues with the first one but waited it out and it didnt get any better since they dropped another one right after. They couldn't have tested this phone before it was shipped because there are way too many people having issues with it. My contract is up in January so I'm jumping ship and getting a Iphone.

Wizard

Thanks all for reporting this.  I'll send to the device folks and will post if I learn anything.

Journeyman

I have the same issue. Charged it overnight, turned it on this morning and shows 80% charged. If I just use basic phone functions such at text messaging and phone calls, it does not seem to drain the battery. But soon as you use an online function or the camera you have to recharge it. I'm waiting anxiously for the resolution to this.

Wizard

Good news!

A maintenance release is tenatively scheduled for later this month that will fix the battery indicator. I say tentatively because the MR release dates are dependent on a lot of moving parts and testing. 

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat