cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instinct HD

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Instinct HD

thanks mmark27, my main point in bringing up relative CPU performance is to help clarify why the Instinct HD software cannot and will not ever be reverse engineered for the original Instincts.

In my next handset, I am looking for robust performance; I will carefully assess if the hardware and software combination is up to the task.

I am very curious whether the Instinct Q will be equipped with one of the latest and most powerful Samsung processors, similar to  the Omnia II.  If so,  that combined with the Android implementation and AMOLED screen could tug me in that direction.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree with troyboytn $199 is a ripoff I saw on phone dog that best buy will be selling at $99-$149. Nothing official about the price from sprint yet. But that seems a more fair price than $199.

Message was edited by: jlasun1

Highlighted
Journeyman

Im sick of hearing this cpu B.S.

Lets take a few minutes and step back.

So you are telling me that just because a piece of equipment is slower that it cant run an O.S.?  Try telling that to the original iPhone owners, they ahve seen several updates and all those updates have been passed down to the original.  Now if the new 3gs is 50 % faster than the 3g, what does that make the original iPhone?

Im sure the same thing goes to the old windows mobile phones that are a few years old that will be upgradable to winmo 6.5

Or how about in the PC world.  I installed a copy of windows XP pro on my old school 566mhz IBM laptop that had 32 megs of ram.  It still ran fine.

So stop comparing to faster CPU's it doesnt matter.  THis is now a matter of customer satisfaction in branding.  The new OS should be made backwards compatible to the original instinct because you will never see another app applicable to this phone once the HD comes out with the new BREW / Titan hybrid OS.  Samsung and Sprint need to take the time and allow this new O.S. to be handed down to the older instincts.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Its just not gonna happen. Even if it were possible.....and its not for a variety of reasons ( such as the fact the HDs updated OS would not fit the screen of the current Instincts, the HD has accelerometer and proximity sensor integration, the HD uses a capacitive touch screen and has HDMI video out intertwined with the video/audio player), the new OS still would not be ported to the s30 and the original because of the modifications it would require and because it would make many loose the incentive to upgrade. With that said......you will never see the HDs OS on the other Instincts.

Highlighted
Journeyman

So lemme get this straight...after being jerked around for a year by Sprint Dev, you guys want yet another Instinct w/the only advantage being an HD recorder, which has NO practical use whatsoever!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well the HD reportedly has quite a few improvements over the original Instincts, although I agree with you that the HD recorder is a puzzling choice for "big new feature."  The HD will have more processing power and will fix a lot of the annoying shortcomings we are familiar with.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but a few examples include:  accelerometer; significantly better internet browsing (built on Opera Mobile); improved camera with flash;  improved virtual keyboard functionality, and  proximity sensor (instead of screen lock).

I will wait for the HD, Hero, and Q to all come out and see the light of review and user feedback before making my decision.  But the HD with BREW OS is a distant unlikely third choice for me because I don't want to rely on Sprint development anymore for fixes and enhancements.  I feel much more comfortable going with the Android OS platform.

Highlighted
Journeyman
Journeyman

Looks to me like the Instinct HD addresses most of the more vocal requests I've seen missing from the original Instinct......

Proximety sensor/Screen lock

5 mp camera with flash and from what I've seen a number of different camera functions/settings

Accelerometor

Opera Mobil browser

Faster, more powerful processor

The biggest question remains, is application development. I hope that with the Instinct 800/S30 and now the Instinct HD, along with the open API's and Titan on the Instinct HD, that development will pick up and be easier to do across all three Instinct phones.

Regardless, the hardware is much more impressive on the Instinct HD.

Will have to see the HD video playback/pictures to see what that is all about.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks MDG, the Instinct M850 HD has been officially unveiled by Sprint today.  It goes on sale September 27th.  A couple links:

- CNET

- InformationWeek

So far the biggest knock is price...$249 compared with the HTC Hero for $179 ($70 less).

HD VIDEO:  "You won't be able to play HD video on the handset, but the Instinct has a TV-out connection for playing clips on an HDTV."  You can play short video clips you record with the high-definition camera on an HDTV.  I don't believe this is featured, but it would be cool if you could send non-HD streaming output from Sprint TV (like NFL Mobile Live) to a computer display or TV, through the same TV-out connection.

Highlighted
Journeyman

$250 ouch, hope they're hiding some good features for that price.

Highlighted
Journeyman

You think that people are goin to develop 3 diveces and two different operating systems?  Get real, in order for the m800 and s30 to stay relavent, they will have to update the two phones with the new titan/brew OS.  The whole point of titan and brew is to have uniformity across many devices, therefor the new OS must be present on the old ones to be relevant.

So, Sarah and Will or any other spring employee with any type of information, what say you?  Are we going to get the updated software?  The titan platform is suposed to be used going forward on all non smart phones, the m800/s30 should be able to handle this.

Highlighted
Journeyman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5KacIMmZ44

Same Hooked on Phonics " abcdef " portrait texting

Bet the calculator still thinks 16 ounces is still 1.04 lbs...

Nice...

Highlighted
Patron

So that is how they decided to answer our message. "Let's release a new phone with what they want, and since they want those features, they will pay anything, so Instinct HD $249 AFTER a Mail in Rebate!" Talk about OVER PRICED here people... Thank God I switched to a Touch (which later I had to get a Touch Diamond since my Touch broke).

But let me tell you one thing, HD or not, it is NOT going anywhere. Palm Pre is years ahead of IHD and it's like $100 cheaper, and the NEw HTC Hero blows the IHD out of the water, and it's $70 cheaper. I seriously don't get it It doesn't make any sense to me.

Plus they decided to stick with that OS... Thans but no thanks. I'm hapy with my TOuch Diamond, and next summer (when my contract is up) HELLO HERO! Or porbably a better one will rise!

Good luck Sprint...

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat