cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instinct IM client available for download

Wizard

Instinct IM client available for download

Sprint has a free IM client available for download. Use your Instinct for AOL, MSN or Yahoo IM sessions.

To get it:

• Go to the Fun tab
  • Go to Games & App
  • Get New Games & Apps
  • Choose #5 Applications
  • Choose #10 Chat & Messaging
  • Choose #2 IM & Email
  • Choose #1 Instant Messaging
  • Click Download

After the download is complete - Hit the Run button.

*Note – only one IM client can be active at a time.

Message Edited by SarahKS on 02-05-2009 12:03 PM

9 REPLIES 9
Journeyman

Re: Instinct IM client available for download

This is very good news! My two main problems with the Instinct had been the poor web browser and lack of instant messaging capabilities. The web browser has been getting better (though it's a long way of being anything like the iphone) and now there's an IM client available.

Glad to see the Instinct is still being supported and my mandatory "everything" plan feels a little more valuable now.

Journeyman

The interface is a tad sparse, but functional. At least now I don't have to use AIM via text message anymore.

Journeyman

This is a shame. This is the Instinct, People waited, i waited for an IM application for more than 6 months and we get this basic piece of software that is available on almost any other sprint phone out there. This same exact app came with other phones built in. Waiting 6 months, i'd expect a different IM experience. I didn't buy the instinct, i was waiting until a good im program came out for it because thats one of the things i need to have on a phone. The instinct had everything i would ever hope it to have except for the IM app. 6 months!!!!! i thought Sprint was working hard on making a good Instant messaging experience since it took this long for an app that has the EXACT SAME features as the most basic of sprint phones.

I really wanted to buy this phone, but when i downloaded the app on an instinct at the Sprint store and saw how it was, i was really dissappointed.......unless sprint plans on updating this app with more features then great!! if not, then Sprint doesn't really care about its customers.

Message Edited by Bashok on 02-09-2009 03:28 PM

Journeyman

Forgot to mention, i went with a friend to try out the app. he has a t-mobile sidekick lx. he first im'd me and i didn't get the first im until about half a min. pretty long time, then afterwords every other mess he sent me would come in about every 5-15 seconds. i don't know if its cause hes wit t-mobile because i remember sometimes there was a text delay between t-mobile and sprint so i dont know, but whenever i im him, it would come instantly so thats good. So i'd say the first mess is always long to come then the rest is ok, but its still sad to see this type of messenger in the instinct.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree, it's insane it took half a year for Sprint to give us a basic IM client.. especially when you're forced on to an "everything" plan and can't even take advantage of the unlimited messaging you're already paying for.

At least we finally got it though, and that was my point. Sprint could have just turned a blind eye hoping people would just forget about it eventually as newer phones come out and people move on, but they went ahead and released a basic IM client. Better late than never, IMO.

Journeyman

I do like the fairly simple interface of the application, though I do find that there are two primary capabilities missing.

1) I'd like to be logged into all three service simultaneously (more would be even better, but it just supports those 3, so I'd settle for the ones there).

2) I'd like for the application to continue to run after returning home. I have found that I continue to show as available even after hitting the home button, but I receive no messages until I relaunch the application. As I recall, this is something that worked on my M500 using the Sprint instant messaging.

Journeyman

ok... scratch #2 on my previous post. I see now that it will keep you logged in behind the scenes and send you a text when you get a message - sometime later, anyway. My number 1 from below stands - I'd like to be able to be logged in to multiple services at once. If only Nimbuz was a bit more friendly on this phone and would run in the background - ahh well!

Patron

Wow!!! I didn't even know about this!!! I downloaded it and I like it!! Thanks

Journeyman

I like the client

but one thing i must have

i want to be able to write my own custom status message

pleaseee put that in the client ^___^

thanks O__o

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat