Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instinct and Instinct s30 Maintenance Release Postponed:

Highlighted
Wizard

Instinct and Instinct s30 Maintenance Release Postponed:

This just in from Instinct team:

The Instinct and Instinct s30 Maintenance Release software upgrades to CD17 and CE19 will be temporarily unavailable while we investigate some unforeseen reported 3rd party application issues. Customers that have downloaded these new software versions may experience temporary problems using Pandora and other 3rd Party Java downloadable applications.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and hope to have this matter resolved quickly. Once the issue has been resolved the Maintenance Releases will be reposted and available for customers at that time.

Message Edited by SarahKS on 06-15-2009 03:05 PM

25 REPLIES 25
Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks Sarah, just wished they would have done a beta test to start with. Would have saved alot of hassle and irritation for those of us who already downloaded. Will there be a "supplemental" update to fix the problems we have encountered since downloading should the MR have to be rebuilt?

Message Edited by troyboytn on 06-15-2009 04:24 PM

Highlighted
Wizard

I am not sure if it will be an additional download or if you'll just reload the MR.  I will share any additional details as I receive them.

Highlighted
Patron

Haven't you realized it by now? We are the beta testers. lmao Unforseen, that would imply that actually looked. This release was something that should have never been put out. Well, thanks Sarah for letting us know, at least they'll postpone the next bit of torture.

They are working very hard to put out the next release that will cause us to scream like mad men and smash our phones into a million pieces. Then, they can have us buy new phones with extended contracts. It's a conspiracy I tell ya! lol

Highlighted
Journeyman

While they are postponing it to work out those kinks, you think they can swing a little to the left there and get screen lock working on all calls, not just to customer service, Sarah?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well this is good news, hope it's a timely fix with the browser crashing again, and the speed dial exclamation points randomly replacing pics, on top of Pandora, definately looking forward to this fix. Thanks SarahKS and Instinct Team

Highlighted
Journeyman

In truth I was hoping for an updated Pandora, I dont want the previous version, I hope Pandora doesn't opt to not fix the app in light of this Sprint announcement.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sarah, Thank you for the update. While its reassuring that Sprint is now officially acknowledging that MR-6 has broken functionality on the Instinct, this does not help alieviate the increasing customer service issues prevalent among Instinct users and Sprint customers in general.

My Take: This is extremely bad development,code writing, beta testing, and partnership cooperation. MR-6 has shown a systemic disconnect between developer, software, hardware, and end users. I've come to the conclusion that this patch and update approach really is ineffective. I believe the solution lies in one of three possible directions. Bring the Android OS to the Instinct, a Samsung written OS like the Samsung Eternity has, or a complete rebuild of the Instinct OS with stricter code standard. I'd honestly wish the developers at Sprint and the Instinct team would have some discussions with Steven Sinofsky and members of the Windows 7 team. Sprint needs some help in quality code writing and testing. I would say Apple too but Apple has much tougher NDA agreements and much of development is shrouded in secrecy.

Message Edited by jogomez721 on 06-16-2009 08:23 AM

Highlighted
Journeyman

This is what happens when the software is released ahead of time...it would have originally ben released tomorrow (if my memory serves me right). I have the update though and I have not had issues besides pandora - which has been a running issue anyways. I have been able to get google maps working though, so in essence this update has been positive for me.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@jogomez721 wrote:
I've come to the conclusion that this patch and update approach really is ineffective. I believe the solution lies in one of three possible directions. Bring the Android OS to the Instinct, a Samsung written OS like the Samsung Eternity has, or a complete rebuild of the Instinct OS with stricter code standard.

Why would you say updating software is ineffective? Every OS ever made has had patches and updates. Not just for phones, but for PCs, consoles, PIMs, handhelds... EVERYTHING. Now you are correct is saying the updates for the Instinct are ineffective since they don't fix all of the issues and tend to create new ones and they don't incorporate the extra features we'd like to see, but the update process is solid. Esp since all updates are OTA.

And I have to say when I read "replace the OS with Android" my eyes glaze over a little. That will never happen. Never. The OS on the Instinct is what it is. Yes it's flawed, yes it looks like a 3rd grader designed it, yes some of the more common sense and basic functionality is missing, yes it's an experiment gone horribly horribly wrong... but it will not be scrapped and replaced with an entirely different OS. Never. Ever.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree with SG....while I would happilly accept either of the 2, Android or Touchwiz will never be ported to the Instinct. Not only that but I have my doubts that Android will come to Sprint this year concidering it wasnt on the "leaked" Sprint roadmap for 2009. The Dash or whatever it will be called will be Brew 4.0...basically an updated and much faster Instinct ui, but we know these things can change with the drop of a hat. Guess we will have to wait and see.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yeah and while they are fixing this can they go ahead and fix the icons in the fun tab that THEY broke with the last update mr-5.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat