cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instinct and Instinct s30 Maintenance Release Postponed:

Highlighted
Wizard

Instinct and Instinct s30 Maintenance Release Postponed:

This just in from Instinct team:

 

The Instinct and Instinct s30 Maintenance Release software upgrades to CD17 and CE19 will be temporarily unavailable while we investigate some unforeseen reported 3rd party application issues. Customers that have downloaded these new software versions may experience temporary problems using Pandora and other 3rd Party Java downloadable applications.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and hope to have this matter resolved quickly. Once the issue has been resolved the Maintenance Releases will be reposted and available for customers at that time.

Message Edited by SarahKS on 06-15-2009 03:05 PM

25 REPLIES 25
Highlighted
Journeyman


@reverendjason wrote:

None of the built in apps failed due to the update. If it had, it would be shame on Sprint.

Those impatient upgraded, despite the early warnings of pandora breaking...


Music player, anyone? It used to work fine with any number of songs. Now limited to 1178, raised with MR6 from 1127.

Highlighted
Patron

Sarah; we appreciate your passing along what you know. But, seriously Sprint-are you friggin' kidding me? How is that every single update has been more screwed up and more worthless than the previous ones? Anyone rememeber the Nav update that had to be rolled back to the previous version? Still waiting for that update. I don't think any of us who bought this POS, based on YOUR advertising hype and our belief and trust in the company had any expectation that we were being sold a phone that was, at best, MAYBE halfway ready to be released. We also didn't sign on to Beta test the phone and every single subsequent update. I've been with Sprint for 11 years, owned this phone since release day, and have finally had it. I don't really care that much that MR6 screwed up Pandora; I did use it, and it WAS one of the only cool Apps for this phone, what really pisses me off and makes me completely lose confidence with Sprint is the fact that this was the update that was supposed to open up the phone-finally. We waited and waited for this phone to be even 50% of what you promised us it was. We waited through update after update that did little, if anything to improve this phones UI or it's software. And now, 1 year later, the most important update is pulled after how many of us have already downloaded it? I will miss the 'Live Search' and the NAV, but those 2 features alone cannot entice me to stick around. The lack of operation and function of the remainder of the phone and the outrageous cost of my monthly bill(in relation to the services I currently recieve) are telling me it's time to go. Coincidentally, I had just pre-ordered an iPhone 3g S earlier in the day prior to reading Sarah's post. Confirms to me that I definately made the right decision to jump off of this rapidly sinking ship. I wasted 12 months of time with this phone, $1740 for an unlimited plan that was limited by the lack of functionality of the phone, and the neglible cost of the phone itself. I do appreciate the communication from Will and Sarah, and the hints and tips from Sweet Greggo, Levi4U, MarkBugs, Goygacon and NSpeed. Mahalo to you all! Unfortunately, it's now time to go....Aloha.

Message Edited by da braddah on 06-17-2009 07:32 AM

Highlighted
Journeyman


@sweet greggo wrote:

@jogomez721 wrote:
I've come to the conclusion that this patch and update approach really is ineffective. I believe the solution lies in one of three possible directions. Bring the Android OS to the Instinct, a Samsung written OS like the Samsung Eternity has, or a complete rebuild of the Instinct OS with stricter code standard.

Why would you say updating software is ineffective? Every OS ever made has had patches and updates. Not just for phones, but for PCs, consoles, PIMs, handhelds... EVERYTHING. Now you are correct is saying the updates for the Instinct are ineffective since they don't fix all of the issues and tend to create new ones and they don't incorporate the extra features we'd like to see, but the update process is solid. Esp since all updates are OTA.

And I have to say when I read "replace the OS with Android" my eyes glaze over a little. That will never happen. Never. The OS on the Instinct is what it is. Yes it's flawed, yes it looks like a 3rd grader designed it, yes some of the more common sense and basic functionality is missing, yes it's an experiment gone horribly horribly wrong... but it will not be scrapped and replaced with an entirely different OS. Never. Ever.


Lets see, MR-6 update breaks functionality in phone. So we trade one fix for losing other functionality. The update is FAR, way way far from being solid. Otherwise, why has this forumn been lit up by the complaints of so many Instinct users?

greggo, Your logic completely escapes me. As aconsumer, I have the right to complain about this phone, whether you like it, disagree with it, or not. But it seems like its a personal beef and not even logic. I am spelling out alternatives. I don't expect Sprint to do anything. I'm saying what a lot of folks have said or feel should be done to make it right.

However, this personal beef seriously need to be squashed. If you got nothing better to do than pick on my arguments each and everytime I post, I truely feel sorry for you.

Highlighted
Journeyman

If I was Sprint, I'd think that my customers had multiple personalities and never could be satisfied. They complain, when updates are postponed for QA, and then complain when we release them early. No one forced anyone to hit upgrade. Perhaps, for the manual upgrades, you'd feel better if it came with a disclaimer? By the nature of manually upgrading, you are a beta user?

Perhaps all those who have busted pandora's should have waited until it was pushed by the network, if you find your applications that important.

None of the built in apps failed due to the update. If it had, it would be shame on Sprint.

Those impatient upgraded, despite the early warnings of pandora breaking...

Highlighted
Journeyman

And ..wait? what? Beta testers? The update specified what was going to be fixed, the Pandora issue is one of a few issues with the update, my web is screwy again and my speed dial page too, built-in!

Highlighted
Journeyman

according to s30 owners, the update went well, but i'm having June 08 flashbacks...I have confidence they'll fix the issue, but the fixes haven't ever come quickly, and us early birds just gotta wait.

Highlighted
Journeyman



@reverendjason wrote:

If I was Sprint, I'd think that my customers had multiple personalities and never could be satisfied. They complain, when updates are postponed for QA, and then complain when we release them early. No one forced anyone to hit upgrade. Perhaps, for the manual upgrades, you'd feel better if it came with a disclaimer? By the nature of manually upgrading, you are a beta user?

Perhaps all those who have busted pandora's should have waited until it was pushed by the network, if you find your applications that important.

None of the built in apps failed due to the update. If it had, it would be shame on Sprint.

Those impatient upgraded, despite the early warnings of pandora breaking...


Well, if it were third party apps that didnt come from Sprint Digital Lounge, you might have a point. I have many apps that came from other sources and none of them are broken, however, my 2 broken apps came from the Digital Lounge..... Pandora and My-Cast Weather. Both, not made by, but distributed, TESTED and liscenced by Sprint to work on my Instinct so your ramblings are moot my friend!

Highlighted
Journeyman

"None of the built in apps failed due to the update. If it had, it would be shame on Sprint."

Uhh....Ever since I downloaded CD17, I've had constant network connectivity problems. Getting news updates, sports updates, hell I can't even get my email. I keep getting Network connection errors.

The only thing that seems to temporarily fix it is to update my PRL and reboot the phone. It works for a while then.


I've probably done this half a dozen times or more since downloading CD17. I never had any problems prior to that.

Highlighted
Journeyman


@troyboytn wrote:


@reverendjason wrote:

If I was Sprint, I'd think that my customers had multiple personalities and never could be satisfied. They complain, when updates are postponed for QA, and then complain when we release them early. No one forced anyone to hit upgrade. Perhaps, for the manual upgrades, you'd feel better if it came with a disclaimer? By the nature of manually upgrading, you are a beta user?

Perhaps all those who have busted pandora's should have waited until it was pushed by the network, if you find your applications that important.

None of the built in apps failed due to the update. If it had, it would be shame on Sprint.

Those impatient upgraded, despite the early warnings of pandora breaking...


Well, if it were third party apps that didnt come from Sprint Digital Lounge, you might have a point. I have many apps that came from other sources and none of them are broken, however, my 2 broken apps came from the Digital Lounge..... Pandora and My-Cast Weather. Both, not made by, but distributed, TESTED and liscenced by Sprint to work on my Instinct so your ramblings are moot my friend!

Same here...the ONLY apps broken are the ones Sprint endorses. Since using "apps" as a plural term is misleading (given there are like so few) anyways, Sprint could have at least checked on an actual phone to see if those things still worked.

reverendjason your post was one of the least logical statements I've read in awhile.

Highlighted
Journeyman


@jogomez721 wrote:

@sweet greggo wrote:

@jogomez721 wrote:
I've come to the conclusion that this patch and update approach really is ineffective. I believe the solution lies in one of three possible directions. Bring the Android OS to the Instinct, a Samsung written OS like the Samsung Eternity has, or a complete rebuild of the Instinct OS with stricter code standard.

Why would you say updating software is ineffective? Every OS ever made has had patches and updates. Not just for phones, but for PCs, consoles, PIMs, handhelds... EVERYTHING. Now you are correct is saying the updates for the Instinct are ineffective since they don't fix all of the issues and tend to create new ones and they don't incorporate the extra features we'd like to see, but the update process is solid. Esp since all updates are OTA.

And I have to say when I read "replace the OS with Android" my eyes glaze over a little. That will never happen. Never. The OS on the Instinct is what it is. Yes it's flawed, yes it looks like a 3rd grader designed it, yes some of the more common sense and basic functionality is missing, yes it's an experiment gone horribly horribly wrong... but it will not be scrapped and replaced with an entirely different OS. Never. Ever.


Lets see, MR-6 update breaks functionality in phone. So we trade one fix for losing other functionality. The update is FAR, way way far from being solid. Otherwise, why has this forumn been lit up by the complaints of so many Instinct users?

greggo, Your logic completely escapes me. As aconsumer, I have the right to complain about this phone, whether you like it, disagree with it, or not. But it seems like its a personal beef and not even logic. I am spelling out alternatives. I don't expect Sprint to do anything. I'm saying what a lot of folks have said or feel should be done to make it right.

However, this personal beef seriously need to be squashed. If you got nothing better to do than pick on my arguments each and everytime I post, I truely feel sorry for you.


I certainly don't make it a point to "pick on you", but it's hard to read some of the stuff posted here without saying something to at least show that this forum isn't filled with mindless complaining and arguing. Seriously, there are plenty of things to be upset with Sprint about over the Instinct and of course you have the right to complain about them, but demanding the entrie OS of the phone be wiped and switched for something different completely wipes out all credibility in your post. It's a nonsensical argument because it's something that will never be considered by Sprint. To them it looks like an irrational customer demanding unreal expectations. How far do you think you will get with that?

Highlighted
Journeyman


da braddah wrote:
Sarah; we appreciate your passing along what you know. But, seriously Sprint-are you friggin' kidding me? How is that every single update has been more screwed up and more worthless than the previous ones? Anyone rememeber the Nav update that had to be rolled back to the previous version? Still waiting for that update. I don't think any of us who bought this POS, based on YOUR advertising hype and our belief and trust in the company had any expectation that we were being sold a phone that was, at best, MAYBE halfway ready to be released. We also didn't sign on to Beta test the phone and every single subsequent update. I've been with Sprint for 11 years, owned this phone since release day, and have finally had it. I don't really care that much that MR6 screwed up Pandora; I did use it, and it WAS one of the only cool Apps for this phone, what really pisses me off and makes me completely lose confidence with Sprint is the fact that this was the update that was supposed to open up the phone-finally. We waited and waited for this phone to be even 50% of what you promised us it was. We waited through update after update that did little, if anything to improve this phones UI or it's software. And now, 1 year later, the most important update is pulled after how many of us have already downloaded it? I will miss the 'Live Search' and the NAV, but those 2 features alone cannot entice me to stick around. The lack of operation and function of the remainder of the phone and the outrageous cost of my monthly bill(in relation to the services I currently recieve) are telling me it's time to go. Coincidentally, I had just pre-ordered an iPhone 3g S earlier in the day prior to reading Sarah's post. Confirms to me that I definately made the right decision to jump off of this rapidly sinking ship. I wasted 12 months of time with this phone, $1740 for an unlimited plan that was limited by the lack of functionality of the phone, and the neglible cost of the phone itself. I do appreciate the communication from Will and Sarah, and the hints and tips from Sweet Greggo, Levi4U, MarkBugs, Goygacon and NSpeed. Mahalo to you all! Unfortunately, it's now time to go....Aloha.
Message Edited by da braddah on 06-17-2009 07:32 AM

No prob about the help. I hope you at least got a look at the Pre before you jumped ship. The Touch Pro 2 is right around the corner, too.

I still have a year left on my contract so I'm gonna sit back and see what happens. I get to try out a Pre for a few months though, and so far I'm digging it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I approach the current situation as pretty untenable for Sprint. While the Pre will temporarily pick up business, the Instinct is losing them business. Its been a PR nightmare lately for Sprint, as each quarter Sprint continues to lose thousands upon thousands of customers. You call my argument non-sensical. You might be right. However, its non-sensical for a business torelease fixes that do not work, refuse to satisfy customers because of their failed products or services, continue to bleed customers by thethousands, and to remove features while charging the same amount.

However, as a customer I might as well ask and make the request. As members of the Open Handset Alliance, why not open the phones to other OSes for customers to choose? It's the next logical progression of mobile phone service.Both OSes interface with Sprint's network. This isan OSSprinthas chosen to support. So why notask them to update the Instinct with a better OS? Each minute thatmyself and other stay upset withSprint without proper resolution, is one more customer that's about to leave. Who knows if I'll ever consider Sprint again? I know many others are ready to leave either when contract expires or opting out.Is losing theentire Sprint base a rational solution or taking the cost to adapt Android and perhaps keep them?

For Sprint to continue this path, is doing less than nothing. Every MR causes more problems and continues to upset customers. Folks already have Sprint in their head as a very bad brand getting worse. So you tell me what is so nonsensical about demanding that Sprint live up to the service contract? If they can't get the Instinct to work as advertised, then they should do something to honor that deal.

On a personal note, I"m glad you've made this clear it was not personal. That raises my respect level for you by quite a bit. Thank you.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat