Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instinct and data plan, traveling

Highlighted
Journeyman

Instinct and data plan, traveling

I'm going to be traveling outside the country and was wondering (since The instinct is always connected to the internet) how is that gonna affect my phone? Will I end up paying hundreds more because of Roaming Data or how does that work?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Patron

I am curious about the same thing. Does the phone work ov...

I am curious about the same thing. Does the phone work overseas on their network? I am sure International rates will apply to calls, but internet?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just went to the Domincan. All I did was called Sprint...

I just went to the Domincan. All I did was called Sprint and they had to activate the international calling for my phone ($1.99 a minute, .20 a text) and I also paid for the international data (which is $40 a month), but I was told it would be prorated and I would only be charged for the number of days I was out of the country. Depending where you go they may not even have data available, I would just call customer service and tell them where you are going and they will help you out.

Highlighted
Wizard

Re: Instinct and data plan, traveling

There have been a few posts to this effect before, please try to search the forums before posting.

As a recap,

if you are traveling to Canada or Mexico, the Instinct may work however crazy data charges may appear. Call Sprint service and ask to be directed to the International Service representative to apply the proper rates. I believe when I was in Canada, it was $9 montly charge for the Canada roaming with xxMB of data (voice was then $.20/min). If you truly need to use your phone it is worth it, otherwise, just buy a calling card or prepaid. Sprint is not an international company with an international focus.

If you are going to Europe, your phone won't connect to anything because the whole wide world is GSM and Sprint's Instinct and network is CDMA. You can however use the phone as an alarm clock (manually set the time) or MP3 player by setting it into airplane mode.

Also, the wall charger will work for charging your phone up. I used the battery only charger to be safe, but it will recognize the 240V of most foreign countries and only feed 110V, you will just need the proper wall adapter. To be extra safe, just charge off of USB from a laptop or something.

As an aside, the data plans and voice international roaming for the iphone also suck terribly. However with deep enough pockets your phone would actually work.

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat