cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instinct for Palm Pre

Journeyman

Re: Instinct for Palm Pre

i want this phone but i read it doesnt record video right out the box :/ i need that feature lol i hate instincts lack of pic/vid features

Journeyman

@sweet greggo wrote:

@coachdvc wrote:

@sweet greggo wrote:

VVM is definitely a glaring omission from the Pre. I hope it is something that can be implemented in a later update. I haven't heard any rumors about it so it's anyone's guess if it will happen.

No expandable memory kinda sucks, but there's a good 7 gigs worth of space on the device for music, pics and vids. I don't need to carry my entire library with me so I'm thinking 7 gigs will be plenty.

Message Edited by sweet greggo on 06-02-2009 10:16 AM

There's already a third party developer who has committed to make VVM happen for the Pre. http://www.everythingpre.com/articles/2009/5/22/third-party-developer-phonefusion-offers-to-create-v...

omg!

hmm.... in doing a little reading about Phone Fusion's app, it seems you have to forward all calls to their server (makes sense). I don't think Call Forwarding is part of the Everything Plan, and I don't see me paying $.20 or whatever it is for every call I miss. That could add up to quite a bit over a month's time. :/

Journeyman

It's a good phone from the videos and whatnot, experienced it first hand.. Not my type of phone. The features it has are amazing. Yet the keyboard imo is crap and it's not as accurate touch as it should be. Oh and only 8 gigs of space. That's a nono.. I'll stick with my Instinct.

btw, I work at Radioshack so yea, I had a couple of hours of playing time with the Pre.

Message Edited by RotaryP7 on 06-06-2009 12:58 PM

Journeyman

I dumped my Instinct for a Pre and I am quite happy. The Pre is much better on many levels.

The multitasking is amazing. It's the closest thing to having a computer in your pocket.

The browser is so much better it isn't funny. Not only is it faster, but it renders correctly and is a lot more compatible with javascript heavy pages. You also get multitouch zoom and accelerometer driven flipping in all four directions. It will have the full Flash 10 player by the end of the year. The Instinct will never have Flash.

Email is also vastly improved. You get full HTML email with great Gmail(nearly instant push) and Exchange integration. It supports full HTML email with multitouch zoom. Also, the Office(doc, xls and ppt) and PDF viewers are much better than the clunky versions on the Instinct.

The YouTube app looks very good. It is no longer that awful postage stamp format. These are nice, high quality full screen videos. Most of the Sprint TV channels look WAY better and the streaming is less choppy.

The music app is a little better, but not groundbreaking. It does handle album art a lot better.

Pandora is about the same, except it works better in the background.

The Photos app is infinitely better. You also get multitouch zoom and accelerometer flipping. The camera itself is also better. The LED flash is surprisingly bright. Nothing like the lame one on the old Fusic I had.

Google Maps uses the GPS, which is very nice. The Sprint Nav App is about the same. It actually might be a little better on the Instinct as the Pre version is missing a few minor screens.

WiFi. Enough said.

Notifications are very well done. It is much better than that awful popup nonsense in iPhone 3.0.

Having said all that, I do miss two things about the Pre. The biggest is voice command. That is sorely lacking on the Pre. Hopefully, Palm or Google will add that before too long.

I also miss Visual Voicemail, but not as much as I thought I would. There is supposedly a third party solution on the way, so we'll see how that pans out.

In general, I am much happier with the Pre than the Instinct. It has a few things that need to be worked out, but it is a solid, very usable phone. The value of the multitasking cannot be stressed enough. It offers a level of flexibility that exceeds anything seen on smartphones before. The superior browser and email are also a huge plus. Finally, the keyboard is an improvement, but that is more a matter of personal preference.

Message Edited by Blubble on 06-10-2009 02:49 PM

Journeyman

I had the opportunity to play around with a friend's pre and saw quite a bit of lag, especially with the app store. Also syncing with facebook, myspace etc. brought in a lot of unnecessary information in the contact list. So much so, that my friend had 50 contacts starting with A, the majority of which were email addresses. You can still simply search for a contact that you want to call or get other information for, but it seemed quite sloppy for my taste.

Other than that though, as others have mentioned on here, multi-tasking, gps and tv are quality. The multi-tasking especially. Is it enough for me to switch from my Instinct? Not yet. I'm still waiting on a mobile browser that can handle flash.

Journeyman

Currently, no phone browser can handle Flash(Flash Lite doesn't count). The Pre will likely be among the first if not the very first to support it. Adobe has stated that they will have a Flash 10 player released for the Pre before the end of the year. I will be happily using the Pre browser in the meantime instead of suffering through that miserable web experience on the Instinct.

Don't get me wrong. I had the Instinct for a year and tried to like it. It had its good points, but in many respects, it was a miserable failure. I am very glad that premier status allowed me to get out from under that phone in just 12 months. I would not have been happy being stuck with that phone another 10 months.

As it stands, the Pre browser is substantially better than either the Instinct native browser or Opera Mini on the Instinct. It is faster and renders much better. Not to mention you can have multiple web pages open at the same time. Opera Mini on the Instinct was passable, but just barely. The Pre browser is a pleasure to use.

The contact mess can easily and quickly be fixed by linking contacts. I had the same problem initially, but spent 15 minutes cleaning up and linking profiles. Now it is organized and efficient.

Message Edited by Blubble on 06-11-2009 01:32 AM

Journeyman

@Blubble wrote:

The contact mess can easily and quickly be fixed by linking contacts. I had the same problem initially, but spent 15 minutes cleaning up and linking profiles. Now it is organized and efficient.

What did you do about all of your FaceBook and Gmail contacts you don't won't on your phone? Manual deletions?

Journeyman

I don't use Facebook, but I deleted the gmail extras manually. I just went through merging or deleting everything that wasn't correct.

Journeyman

I was VERY worried about the tiny keyboard on the pre. I used to have a pocket PC and hated the instinct so much I went back to my VERY OLD pocket pc -PPC6700

anyway the size of the keyboard almost prevented my from buying the pre in the first place.

But NO WORRIES , i can type on i fast already . and its size allows for one handed typing.

Keyboard = no issue

Journeyman

@sjamie wrote:

What did you do about all of your FaceBook and Gmail contacts you don't won't on your phone? Manual deletions?

My plan is to dedicate one of my gmail accounts specifically for storing Pre contacts. That is if I decide to get a Pre.

Journeyman

@doczenith1 wrote:

My plan is to dedicate one of my gmail accounts specifically for storing Pre contacts. That is if I decide to get a Pre.

Tell me more, how would that help you?

Highlighted
Journeyman

@Blubble wrote:
I don't use Facebook, but I deleted the gmail extras manually. I just went through merging or deleting everything that wasn't correct.

How many contacts did you have on your phone before making the necessary tweaks?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat