cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instinct replacement recommendations

Highlighted
Journeyman

Instinct replacement recommendations

I've had an Instint since January '09, I'm on my 2nd one, and I'm actually getting to the point where the longer I have it, the less I'm enjoying the experience. The internet sucks; is it the phone or is it the NOW network? The media player crashes and can only handle 1700 songs at most; what good is having a media player if it can't handle the most mundane of task? Call quality is good, but what good is it if the phone can't maintain a connection to the network? GPS and Live Search are great when they can find the GPS signal. The battery life or lack thereof!! I guess I could go on, but the question is, other than the Pre, is there a phone out there in Sprint land that would be a good replacement. I'll have to admit I don't like Crackberry's because everyone has one, and I prefer a phone that not everyone and their mother has. Maybe there's a phone coming down the pike that would be worth waiting for, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

12 REPLIES 12
Journeyman

Re: Instinct replacement recommendations

check out the reviews on phonescoop.com

http://www.phonescoop.com/carriers/carrier.php?c=1

they are the most useful and non-biased user reviews of cell phones that I have ever found, although you have to ignore the obvious rants. people tend to make god pros/cons lists on there though which is nice.

Journeyman

Thanks I'll stop over there and take a look at their recommendations.

Journeyman

I can understand having problems with most any phone.

But I really had to laugh at the "it can only handle 1700 songs at most"..

My goodness, how many songs can you listen to while using a "cell phone"?

Would it not be better to listen to a device that plays nothing but songs for that feature. and use the phone for what it is intended?

Also most any GPS will have blackout areas, trees,buildings,metal roofs, etc the list goes on.( A lot depends on were you are and any obstructions from a satellite....

Aren't you glad that the Instinct comes with two batteries?==Double the fun...Smiley Happy

Master

<blockquote><hr>Bald Eagle wrote:<br><p><strong>I can understand having problems with most any phone.</strong></p><p><strong>But I really had to laugh at the "it can only handle 1700 songs at most"..</strong></p><p><strong>My goodness, how many songs can you listen to while using a "cell phone"?</strong></p><p><u>Would it not be better to listen to a device that plays nothing but songs for that feature. and use the phone for what it is intended?</u></p><p><strong>Also most any GPS will have blackout areas, trees,buildings,metal roofs, etc the list goes on.( A lot depends on were you are and any obstructions from a satellite....</strong></p><p><strong>Aren't you glad that the Instinct comes with two batteries?==Double the fun...Smiley Happy</strong></p><hr></blockquote><p>God forbid you use the phone as designed "To be a MultiMedia Device" To competewith the iPhone in music playing capabilities. Good thing it came with two batteries, For having it reboot itself realy eats up the first one.</p>

Journeyman

I stated the fact that it had a 1700+ limit because a product that is promoted as a mulitmedia device, should be able to handle the capacity for which it hardware supports. If the hardware only supported a 4gig SD card, then I wouldn't expect it to handle anything but 4 gigs of data. But if a product is designed and promoted to support an 8gig SD card, then I expect it to handle the data that I have on my 8 gig card. It also shouldn't have to scan said card EVERY time I go back into the media player.

As for the GPS, I'll be happy to note that on the past several trips I've made, I've been on the open interstate. I understand the obstruction of trees, buildings and such. But, with that being said, if the device is traveling in an open area without to many obstructions or interverance, then that device should work as advertised.

This all comes down to inaccurate advertising on the part of the telco operator and the device manufacturer. I believe the companies in question had very good intentions, but have failed to deliver the product they are promoting. I find it rather amusing that even the employees at the stores aren't pointing people in the direction of the Instinct, instead opting for devices that are capable of meeting the standards for which the devices are promoted to be capable of doing.

Its amazing how the consumer protection agency, FTC and FCCignores the blatant and often times misleading advertising by telco operators and manufactures, but can find fault with most any other product sold in the American market system.

Message Edited by dcxterra on 06-25-2009 12:22 PM

Journeyman

@bald Eagle wrote:

I can understand having problems with most any phone.

But I really had to laugh at the "it can only handle 1700 songs at most"..

My goodness, how many songs can you listen to while using a "cell phone"?

Would it not be better to listen to a device that plays nothing but songs for that feature. and use the phone for what it is intended?

Hey, if you worked for Apple, maybe they could have sold a few thousand phones too.

Journeyman

Hmm, Try the Pre maybe? I don't seem to have the issues you do. My Instinct works just fine. I have fast internet (this phone is my only connection to the internet, not counting work) My GPS has been great, Live search impresses everyone around me when I use it, I have about 500 songs on an 8 gig class 6 card and it loads up superfast. I do have a separate MP3 player as well. And I must say it has worked spectacularly as a phone.

Every phone seems to have its good and bad points. Perhaps you need to prioritize your needs and then find a phone that does the most important things for you well.

Everyone is always complaining they were lied to with the advertising, I call BS on that as the Intinct has done everything I wanted it to do. I wasn't looking for an Iphone when I bought my Instinct as it seems most of the people complaining were.

Does the Instinct have some issues? Sure. It is not near as bad as some make it out to be in my opinion.

Journeyman

@revtime wrote:

Hmm, Try the Pre maybe? I don't seem to have the issues you do. My Instinct works just fine. I have fast internet (this phone is my only connection to the internet, not counting work) My GPS has been great, Live search impresses everyone around me when I use it, I have about 500 songs on an 8 gig class 6 card and it loads up superfast. I do have a separate MP3 player as well. And I must say it has worked spectacularly as a phone.

Every phone seems to have its good and bad points. Perhaps you need to prioritize your needs and then find a phone that does the most important things for you well.

Everyone is always complaining they were lied to with the advertising, I call BS on that as the Intinct has done everything I wanted it to do. I wasn't looking for an Iphone when I bought my Instinct as it seems most of the people complaining were.

Does the Instinct have some issues? Sure. It is not near as bad as some make it out to be in my opinion.

It sounds like there is a HUGE difference between what Sprint advertised the Instinct as being capable of doing and what you wanted the Instinct to be capable of doing.

Journeyman

I have the instinct for a month and a half. Countless (many, many, many) problems with the first one. Just received the second one two days ago on friday and already freezing and reseted once. Due to get a 3rd replacement tuesday or wednesday. After that if it happens again they will have to do something else. Im not going to use it.  I dont want to use it now but have to because they still have original samsung instincts in there wearhouse so I have to get it. But wen the 3 strikes come im done.

Samsung Moment looks really good. I played with Samsung Moment at Sprint store near my job at Walmart and after playing with it i set my mind on getting one Smiley Happy

Journeyman

dcxterra wrote:

I've had an Instint since January '09, I'm on my 2nd one, and I'm actually getting to the point where the longer I have it, the less I'm enjoying the experience. The internet sucks; is it the phone or is it the NOW network? The media player crashes and can only handle 1700 songs at most; what good is having a media player if it can't handle the most mundane of task? Call quality is good, but what good is it if the phone can't maintain a connection to the network? GPS and Live Search are great when they can find the GPS signal. The battery life or lack thereof!! I guess I could go on, but the question is, other than the Pre, is there a phone out there in Sprint land that would be a good replacement. I'll have to admit I don't like Crackberry's because everyone has one, and I prefer a phone that not everyone and their mother has. Maybe there's a phone coming down the pike that would be worth waiting for, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The music player limit is a lot lower than 1700.  I only have ~1100 songs on there and it complains and crashes.   This limit did not exist in earlier versions of the "Music Store" or player; it was introduced about a year after the phone was released.  In otherh words, Sprint or one of their vendors broke a previously more or less functional music player with and "update."  Yeah, it had problems with foreign characters before; they left that problem and created a much bigger one.  It was also much faster before--the same update introduced the slowest scan you'll ever see.

Overall, it's not that bad a phone and some of the features have worked well for me, but it is supposed to be a multi-media device and I'm not sure why they destroyed what capabilities it had in that area.  I even bought a gadget to add an input jack to the stereo in my car so I could use it on longer drives to play music, but that's not really feasible if I can't put music on it...  Not to mention that actually putting music on it was a pain in the ass.  USB 1.1 meant it was painfully slow to use the app they provided, and it was very picky about how the songs were labeled and how the graphics were included if you wanted to copy them directly to the micro-SD card.  Basically, the music player was a giant pile of fail right from the start, and they managed to make it worse with updates.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat