cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instinct vs HTC Touch

Highlighted
Journeyman

Instinct vs HTC Touch

My wife needs a new phone and was wondering if I should go with a HTC Touch or an Instinct ( or possibly a Centro? ). Im interested in hearing from folks that have experience with both on:

- Touch sensitivity ( how easy to text message . Responsiveness to touches - do they indicate a selection was made well? )

- Signal Reception ( She currently has signal probs with RAZR V3m at work, are these any better? )

- UI Speed ( How quick to find contacts and dial, Anything frustratingly slow )

- Call Reliability ( Anything odd about answering / placing a call. Does it crash once in a while? )

- MP3 playing

- Battery Life

- Camera quality ( I know most cell cameras are terrible, which is slightly better? )

Any little bit of info would help greatly! Thank you for your time!

Message Edited by zonyl on 06-27-2008 11:27 PM

Tags (3)
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Instinct vs HTC Touch

Zonyl,

I just (last week on 6/22/2008) swapped in my RAZR V3m for a Samsung Instinct. I went back and forth on whether to get the Instinct or the HTC Touch. My coworker has had an HTC touch for a few weeks so I had been toying around with it, but I didn't really like the touch sensitivity and I am not a huge fan of Microsoft Mobile OS. I have heard good and bad (through online reviews) on the Instinct, but I went to the store and checked it out for myself. In the end, I purchased the Instinct online via the Sprint store and it arrived within 2 days. I am loving it, but it is not perfect. In terms of your questions, let me answer them first:

• Touch sensitivity ( how easy to text message . Responsiveness to touches - do they indicate a selection was made well? )
    Response: The Instinct is very receptive to touch. You can modify its sensitivity and it "vibrates" to let you know that it is responding to your touch. I put vibrate in quotes because it's a different feel than standard phone vibration. It also comes with a stylus (and a case to hold it) if you don't want to use your fingers. When I used the Touch, it did not seem to be as responsive. Also the Instinct is very easy to use in regards to text messaging and it offers quite a few options (standard QUERTY keyboard, keys alphabetized, or character recognition).
    Note: As with any touch device, neither phone is always 100% perfect. Once you play around with them, you just get the hang of it.

• Signal Reception ( She currently has signal probs with RAZR V3m at work, are these any better? )
    Response: I live in Chicago and reception is so-so in my office as well. I have seen no problems with either the Touch or Instinct when used in my office.

• UI Speed ( How quick to find contacts and dial, Anything frustratingly slow )
    Response: Cool thing about the Instinct is that it has voice activation features. I found that it works a lot better than the Razr and I could find none on the Touch. Also you can set up contacts that you use often on the Instinct so that it is a quick touch to call them.

• Call Reliability ( Anything odd about answering / placing a call. Does it crash once in a while? )
    Response: I haven't had any problems so far.
  • MP3 playing
    Response: Both Touch and Instinct have this feature. The sound quality is really good on the Instinct. I also like the other features that Sprint provides like TV and Radio. I had those features on my Razr as well, but they never really worked well and you had to get special headphones. Out of the box, the Instinct comes with headphones. Touch does not. Note that the headphones are also used for making calls as well.

• Battery Life
    Response: Both Touch and Instinct have similar battery lives. The Instinct comes packaged with a separate battery and a special charging case for it so that you can swap out batteries. I loved this. Note that the Instinct is a little difficult with removing the back to replace the batteries. It's not hard once you figure it out, but it takes practice.

• Camera quality ( I know most cell cameras are terrible, which is slightly better? )
    Response: I am not sure about this one. I do like the fact that the Instinct has both a camera and video recorder. I am not sure if the Touch has that as well. It wasn't a feature I was most concerned about.

Overall, the Instinct is easier to use than the Touch. It has great call volume and the speakerphone works really well. The Internet browser is really fast (for a mobile phone). It's really easy to sync e-mail with the majors (Yahoo, Google, AOL). I was surprised at how easy it was to sync up with my work e-mail (Outlook Exchange). You should also check out theInstinct'sGPSnavigationfeatures. I was thinking about getting a GPS system for my car this year and now I don't have to shell out the money for it because it's in my phone. I have yet to regret my decision for going with this phone. There is a great site called www.phonedog.com that reviews all aspects of this phone and the Touch as well. If you are going to stick with Sprint, I say the Instinct is the way to go.

So now that I spoke of the good of Instinct, here are some of the cons that you may want to consider (they may not be important to you or your wife):

• It does not have WI-FI capability so you can't use the Internet by riding a WI-FI signal. You have to use Sprint's network
  • The software that comes with it is not Mac compatible
  • Calendar is pretty simple and it does not sync with any online or desktop calendars (most likely applications will come out soon to address this)
  • TheInstinctrequires you having a Sprint plan that has unlimited data and text

Good luck on making your decision. I hope my comments helped. Feel free to ask any others and I'll try to be as helpful as possible. You seem a lot like me in terms of trying to make an informed buying decision based on the feedback of others.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thank you very much for your information!!! We really appreciate the time you spent writing that for us!

We went to the Sprint store armed with a printout of your information and were able to compare two working demos side-by-side. We liked the Instinct for some things (Haptic touch, Media, Responsiveness) and the Touch for others (calendar sync, seemed smaller/lighter). Sadly, after a long argument with the CSR they told us we would have to abandon our ten year old shared phone plan pricing on all of our phones if we were to get an Instinct. However, buying a HTC touch phone wouldnt have any impact on our contract / pricing.

The worst part is we got pretty hyped up about the Instinct to be let down at the store with the terms of obtaining one. Mostly my fault for thinking there had to be another way to get the phone without the "Everything" plan.

Thanks again!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just switched from the touch to the instinct and I like...

I just switched from the touch to the instinct and I like the instinct a lot better. touching is easier, cameras are about what what, neither has a flash. reception is good on both phones.

Journeyman

Wow, that is a great amount of good information. Thanks for taking the time to post that as it was very helpful! I have two things that I am worried about when it comes to making a choice on either phone:

1. First I have been noticing that Instinct owners have problems with their calendar feature. They state that their calendar does not allow them to save more events and displays a "no more space" type of message. I would be very relient on the calendar as that would be how I would mainly want to organize my time and plans. It seems that the HTC Touch has the Windows style calendar, that many PDAs contain and this would work very well.

2. The music feature would be another feature that I am interested in with either phone. The only upset is the fact that the HTC Touch does not contain a headset jack so you can plug in headphones or connect it to a car stereo to listen to music. If I am not incorrect you would only be able to use bluetooth technology to listen to songs. Is that accurate?

So I was wondering if I should not even worry about the music portion of the phones and just get an Apple Ipod Classic to remedy the situation and just listen to music that way. It can hold much more memory and connect to a car stereo easily. The only downside is the fact that you are not able to used bluetooth to listen to music.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat