cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interface with GPS?

Journeyman

Interface with GPS?

I want to create an app that uses GPS coordinates. Is it possible to interface with sprint navigation?

13 REPLIES 13
Journeyman

Re: Interface with GPS?

Well I know that the Loopt application uses our gps...only know this because when my gps was messing up on my new refurbished phone, Loopt couldn't find me either....but when I used the trick to get my navigation working, then Loopt found my location.

So your answer would be yes.

Master

I believe you need to pay the Dev fee to access it, It used to be $5000, But I think i heard it was recently reduced to $2000

Journeyman

Well, with the thousands of developers not rushing to make apps for the Instinct...something tells me a fee was waived...Why would they pay squat for a app they're giving away?...backs were rubbed with this one I'm sure, lol...

Journeyman

If you really mean "interface with sprint navigation", as in exchange data with the navigation software on the phone, the answer is almost certainly no.  Sprint typically answers any such question about the software with a "it's proprietary" statement.

If you mean to use the GPS hardware in the phone, there are several answers.  It depends on the phone, on the firmware, and on what type of GPS reading you want.

Server-assisted GPS (using triangulation from cell towers) is only available to Sprint partners and PDP members (for whatever the fee is).

Hardware GPS is available for use, but its functionality is limited and depends on the firmware.  On the S30, you can get GPS readings without starting Sprint navigation first.  On the original Instinct, even with MR-6, it seems that Sprint navigation must first be started.

The information needed to enable the hardware GPS is not available and the API is protected such that even on the S30 or original with MR-6 it can't be done.  Loopt is a Sprint PDP member or partner and was able to get that information.  The app must be signed by Sprint after they test it - thus the delay in Loopt working on Instinct after a firmware update which broke Loopt - they were waiting for Sprint to test and sign it.

Master

Sprint's Professional Developer Program

Program Description

There are many challenges in getting started developing mobile applications and content.  Sprint's Professional Developer Program provides serious developers with access to platforms, advanced tools, and enhanced support to get you on your way.  Please click here for a process overview of the program.

Our Mission

To create an open environment that encourages the development of new content for Sprint devices, ensures the quality of applications leveraging key handset API's, and improves the awareness and discoverability of mobile and personalization content.

Program Benefits

Sprints Professional Developer Program extends many of our advanced capabilities to wireless developers. Program benefits include:

• Unprecedented access to restricted API's such as GPS, multi-media and messaging
  • Application code signing on both iDEN and CDMA
  • An invitation to Sprint's annual exclusive Partner Conference
  • Dedicated technical support from Sprint's ADP team
  • Guidance on available self-distribution models
  • Assistance with pre-certification testing requirements
  • Certification of content on targeted devices

Eligibility

The program is open to all independent software developers for a $2,000 annual membership fee.

So much for sprint stating the Instinct has "OPEN" API access. This is why we are not seeing any third party apps being developed.

Journeyman

Not knowing exactly what GPS-based app you have in mind, may I suggest one that replaces the defunct GEOsnapper (Java) app? That was a handy app (attaching the phone's GPS coordinates to the photo just snapped with the phone's camera). After uLocate took over GEOsnapper they eventually shut it down, so there is no app that I know of for the Java-based phones where the user can attach the GPS coordinates to their photos.

Just a suggestion.

Good luck with whatever it is you're trying to do.

- Nxtl4me

Journeyman

2000$???

I thought they were going to do away with the joke they called the PDP and really open the API...

They should take a page out of another playbook who's developers are plentiful...logic doesn't set well with these people...

Good luck with your idea...

Journeyman

Thanks for the info KillerBeagle. I did mean interfacing with the GPS hardware, most likely on the s30. I'm a little confused though--sounds like you're saying it is possible to access GPS readings but it's not documented and you can't enable it. So, there is no way to actually interface with the gps hardware?

Highlighted
Journeyman

The method to enable the GPS hardware on the original Instinct isn't documented.  You shouldn't need that on the S30 - they seem to behave differently.  You should be able to get readings through the standard GPS API on an S30.  I have not pursued GPS further myself since in the discussion of the announcement of "API unlocking" it became clear that the GPS would not be fully unlocked for the Instinct in the (failed) MR-6, which means it probably won't ever happen.

Journeyman

Sorry if I'm being ignorant, but I've mucked about in the internet and I can't seem to find a "standard GPS API" for the s30. I browsed through sprint API for the instinct and it doesn't seem to say anything about the GPS. Would you be able to point me to it? Thanks.

Journeyman MDG
Journeyman

If you have not already been here, this is probably the best place to ask specific questions regarding development for Sprint phones and the Instinct.

http://developer.sprint.com/show_forum.do?forumId=378&pageSize=30&searchBy2=MSG_PARENT_ID&searchValue2=-1&sortCol=MSG_AUDIT_MOD_DT&sortDirection=0&searchBy3=MSGFORUM_FORUMID&searchValue3=378

***Link is to the Sprint Developer site

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat