ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it worth purchasing an Instinct or would I be better off with an Apple ITouch?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Is it worth purchasing an Instinct or would I be better off with an Apple ITouch?

It seems that the Instinct has many problems when it comes to it's calendar. I was looking at an Apple ITouch and saw that it's calendar is very functional and can hold plenty of music. I understand that the Ipods don't contain removable batteries but if there features actually work then what would stop me from purchasing there product as to where the Instinct has these problems? Can anyone elaborate and hopefully provide some answer or hope of upcoming solutions to this, on Sprint's/Samsung's behalf?

22 REPLIES 22
Journeyman

I was thinking about getting an iTouch, but they don't ha...

I was thinking about getting an iTouch, but they don't have bluetooth, so I'm not getting one.

Journeyman

Re: I was thinking about getting an iTouch, but they don't ha...

I was thinking about getting an itouch....but they dont make Phone Calls, rotfl...but if I were looking at games similar to the iphone, I'd buy an itouch

Journeyman

Yeah, I guess it really depends on if you want to make phone calls or not.

Journeyman

Journeyman

it's an ipod touch, not an itouch, and it just depends wh...

it's an ipod touch, not an itouch, and it just depends what you need it for. sounds like you just want games and a calendar, so go with the ipod touch.

Wizard

Re: Is it worth purchasing an Instinct or would I be better off with an Apple ITouch?

@911Joito wrote:
It seems that the Instinct has many problems when it comes to it's calendar. I was looking at an Apple ITouch and saw that it's calendar is very functional and can hold plenty of music.

Actually, the work calendar on the instinct works very nicely. In fact, I like it better than the one on my iPod Touch. However, if you already have a mobile phone that you really like, then picking up a touch isn't a bad idea.

I just got one for Christmas and I love it, though I'm still basking in the newness of the device. I mainly use it for music. There really is no way to compare the music app on the instinct with that on the touch. I also love all the apps on the touch. Just about every day I find something new (and free) that is really useful and cool.

Despite the music and apps, I doubt I would be willing to change my instinct for iphone. The main reason is the battery life. Even with heavy video, internet, and phone use, I can go an entire day on a single battery with my instinct, plus I have the option to switch out with the second battery.

If all I do is listen to music on my touch, it can last an entire day. However, if I am web browsing, watching videos, and playing games, I can burn through the battery in 3 or 4 hours.

I would hate to have an iphone and have to budget app use so as not to drain the battery for when I need to make a phone call. There not enough that can be said about having swapable batteries.

Here are some reasons why I would take my instinct over an ipod touch.

Obviously, as noted earlier, you can't make calls with a touch, so voice mail goes here as well.

You need to be in a wi-fi area to use many of the same apps on a touch that are native on the instinct.

The GPS on the instinct is really good. Google maps on the touch is no comparison.

Push to talk Speech to Action on the instinct is an awesome feature. The touch supports Vlingo, but it does not really compare.

The virtual keyboard layout is much better on the instinct than on the touch. (It may seem minor, but having the period, comma, and question mark on the same screen as the letters is brilliant, compare to the touch's keyboard which has all punctuation on a different page then the letters.)

I use the devices in conjunction with one another. If I am in a wi-fi area, I use my touch to surf the net, check email, watch youtube, and access social networks. If I'm in an area with out wi-fi, then those things are done on my instinct.

My post probably isn't as coherent as I'd like it to be, but it's been a long day and I'm tired. I'll just end with this...The instinct is no iphone, but the ipod touch is no instinct.

Message Edited by ccerose on 01-16-2009 12:10 PM

Journeyman

ccerose wrote: "Push to talk on the instinct is an a...

ccerose wrote:
"Push to talk on the instinct is an awesome feature."

Since when does the Instinct have push to talk?

Journeyman

I will tell you maybe the most helpful thing on this foru...

I will tell you maybe the most helpful thing on this forum. I have an instinct and I just got an Ipod Touch. I will tell you this. Getting an "iTouch" made me want to stop using my Instinct for music or even web browsing (when there is WiFi) available, because the iTouch is way more fun to use, and there are so many things you can do with them. All I use my Instinct for now is phone calls, and GPS. I installed a wireless network in my home and it just opened the iTouch up to a whole new world. I can use it as a remote to control my music on my computer, all over the house. I can tap into my computer and stream my movies straight to the iTouch no problems. It is truely a thing of beauty. iPhone users have it made altough I use my iTouch so much for music and other things that if it were a phone it would certainly not be as fun. To answer calls while I'm trying to remote or while I'm playing games? No. I would say I have the best of both worlds. The Instinct and iTouch actual even fit in my same phone holder on my belt clip, at the same time!! You can't beat that. But hey some people might not want to walk around with two devices. But I love it!!

Wizard

Re: ccerose wrote: "Push to talk on the instinct is an a...

@athreet wrote:

@ccerose wrote:
"Push to talk on the instinct is an awesome feature."

Since when does the Instinct have push to talk?

I'm meant the Speech to Action feature.

Journeyman

Re: Is it worth purchasing an Instinct or would I be better off with an Apple ITouch?

@911Joito wrote:
It seems that the Instinct has many problems when it comes to it's calendar. I was looking at an Apple ITouch and saw that it's calendar is very functional and can hold plenty of music. I understand that the Ipods don't contain removable batteries but if there features actually work then what would stop me from purchasing there product as to where the Instinct has these problems? Can anyone elaborate and hopefully provide some answer or hope of upcoming solutions to this, on Sprint's/Samsung's behalf?

If Calendars are important to you, and if you don't need a new phone right away you could just wait for the Palm Pre to come out. It seems very much built around calendar functions. But if you also want lots of music storage than this may not be right either since there won't be a memory card slot from what I have read and you'll be limited by the 8gigs of onboard storage for games, apps, music combined. (Sigh...Why is it so hard to get all the features out there in the cell phone world into ONE perfectdevice???? There's always horrible tradeoffs.)

Journeyman

Re: I will tell you maybe the most helpful thing on this foru...

@melvnx wrote:
I will tell you maybe the most helpful thing on this forum. I have an instinct and I just got an Ipod Touch. I will tell you this. Getting an "iTouch" made me want to stop using my Instinct for music or even web browsing (when there is WiFi) available, because the iTouch is way more fun to use, and there are so many things you can do with them. All I use my Instinct for now is phone calls, and GPS. I installed a wireless network in my home and it just opened the iTouch up to a whole new world. I can use it as a remote to control my music on my computer, all over the house. I can tap into my computer and stream my movies straight to the iTouch no problems. It is truely a thing of beauty. iPhone users have it made altough I use my iTouch so much for music and other things that if it were a phone it would certainly not be as fun. To answer calls while I'm trying to remote or while I'm playing games? No. I would say I have the best of both worlds. The Instinct and iTouch actual even fit in my same phone holder on my belt clip, at the same time!! You can't beat that. But hey some people might not want to walk around with two devices. But I love it!!

Okay, so here'sa twist on this question: I am an Instinct owner but I have decided I definitely want an ipod as well. (Too many problems with the Instinct's music player). Do I really need the Touch, or might I be satisfied with the ipod Classic? As other people have said on here, it seems that the Instinct has most of the "extras" that the touch offers over the classic. On the other hand, if the touch interface is really terrific, maybe it is still best to go with it. I just can't decide.....

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat