cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with GPS

Highlighted
Journeyman

Issues with GPS

I got a chance this past weekend to put the GPS feature through a workout. Overall it worked great. However I have a few issues.

1. The directions/map are inaccurate for part of I-85 in NC, around exit 87 to 118. The GPS told me to take I-85 which really was Business 85 rather than the interstate. Is there some one we should contact to inform them of inaccuracies?

2. Sometimes the traffic warnings came rather late. Often I was in traffic already when a warning occurred and often it stated that the issue was up ahead.

3. I was using the music player at the same time as the GPS. Usually this worked just fine. Every once in a while, the music player would stay paused after the GPS provided directions. It would be nice to be able to switch back to the music player without exiting from the GPS. This is a safety issue.

4. I used Live Search when I got lost looking for a restaurant that I knew was at the exit. No issue getting the address, but the map was only written directions and did not go to the GPS. It would be nice if this was the way it worked. Even in areas I am some what familiar with, I might turn to Live Search rather than the GPS to locate different places, but I may not know every road name.

Thanks.

Michelle

Tags (3)
23 REPLIES 23
Journeyman

my gps is wrong 90% of the time. my biggest gripe other t...

my gps is wrong 90% of the time. my biggest gripe other than being flat out wrong is that when is it does give directions, I don't recognize the street names it uses because it doesn't give the route number with it. For instance i know I have to turn right on Route 17 when going to the eastern shore, but I don't recognize General Puller Hwy.

Journeyman

Re: Issues with GPS

Um..ok, I'm jealous your traffiic warnings came in....late, but they came in LOL! Nashville still doesn't have any traffic updates. <SIGH>

I've found a couple of inaccuracies with the GPS, but I should we be reporting those to Sprint or TeleNav...anybody know?

Patron

I've only used the gps to go to places I don't know twice. And it's been wrong twice.

First time was when I was omw to meet a date somewhere. Of course I knew I was in the wrong place when I should be at a bar and the gps tells me I've reached my destination infront of some random persons house.

Second time was today actually, was going out and used the gps to get there. sent me down the road when it should have had me turn right.

Ugh.

Journeyman

Must be a TN thing. No Traffic for me between Knoxville and Bristol.

Journeyman

Patron

I'm having repeated issues in Ohio. Whined on several thr...

I'm having repeated issues in Ohio. Whined on several threads here and repeatedly reported the issues to Sprint, no luck finding a solution. I get repeated "you're on the wrong route" issues and misguided directions. My wife was 1.5 hours South on the outskirts of Columbus, on I-71...clear skies....major highway.....major city......major GPS problems. "You're off route" was the last straw. She's gotten smart and quit counting on the Instinct GPS, so she took map and used that instead. I've been told by advanced support it's a known mapping issue.....even promissed I'll get a link or OTA update with a fix. As you're aware, there is no fix.....but I waited for it anyway. Bottom line....if you're having GPS issues in TN, you're not alone. Patience......(I keep telling myself).

Journeyman

Re: I'm having repeated issues in Ohio. Whined on several thr...

Wow. Thank goodness I have had none of these issues in Southern California. I have been from LA to San Diego and lots of spots in between and so far all my directions have been either spot on or very very close to being so. The maps have all been very accurate as well, except for a small street that was built in the last year so I wouldn't expect it to be on there yet anyway. I have yet to travel north of LA to see what I get but I will be trying that out soon including an area that has horrible cell phone service and is very rural. Should be interesting!

Journeyman

i used the gps feature in Manhattan, NY, and brooklyn, NY...

i used the gps feature in Manhattan, NY, and brooklyn, NY yesterday on my way home from work, just to test it out. i must say thank God i new my way home. when i missed a turn (because of construction) provided by the gps it took 5 minutes to realize that i was no longer on the desired route then it took another 5 minutes to recalculate a new route. (because i new my way home and around the city) i decided to exit off the FDR and see if the Gps would recognize my error and recalculate a new route, once agian the GPS failed misserably, it took 7 minutes to realize i was no longer on the fdr and then anpother 5 minutes to recalculate my route. in short the gps Sucks Jason

Journeyman

I will also mention that the A-GPS on our phones will not...

I will also mention that the A-GPS on our phones will not work without cell coverage. I tried to use the GPS in an area with no coverage, with a very clear view of the sky, and got a message stating that i needed to get a clearer view of the sky and try again. After consulting wikipedia I learned that some A-GPS phones will not work with out assistance from a cell tower. That's too bad. My 3 year old i860 would work anywhere.

Patron

That might explain some of my GPS issues, the dependence...

That might explain some of my GPS issues, the dependence on cell coverage. That makes no sense from the explanations given previously, that this is true GPS, but it's a fine print that doesn't surprise me. I had Verizon before, which uses cell tower triangulation. Had no issues with that GPS, but had better signal coverage too. I had heard there'd be Sprint GPS updates in Sep, including fixes to map updates (advanced support cited this as the cause of my misnavigation issues). Any status seen here or elsewhere? The only post I've seen today (looking for the Sep 9 update) is a browser update scheduled for release o/a 9/17.

Journeyman

The Sprint Navigation Product Manager "Innov8" has said a update was "TARGETED" for Sept. 9th. Innov8was the first(only) Product Manager,that's addressed an update issue. Keyword is "Targeted", so don't stroke out if it doesn't happen on the 9th.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Innov8 said

Here's the official word from the Sprint Navigation product manager (me). The Navigation update for Instinct (2.1.0.23) is targeted for two weeks from today (September 9th). I don't expect to make everyone happy with the delay, but we caught a couple things in testing that needed to be fixed before we could roll it out. Outside of these fixes we've seen significant improvement in the application's performance, fewer timeouts, better/quicker GPS locations. We are also working to quickly resolve performance issues around the delivery of maps to the device which has been discussed in other threads, so expect improvement there too, although that's not technically tied to the update and may be implemented even sooner.

I can also pass along this information on the rumor that the new update will prevent Navigation from running in the background and that you'll have to restart if you get a phone call. It's not true. Period.

JC

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here's a link to the what was said. http://forums.buzzaboutwireless.com/baw/board/message?board.id=Samsung_Instinct&message.id=12751

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat