cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with GPS

Journeyman

I am having issues with the sprint navigation on my insti...

I am having issues with the sprint navigation on my instinct.1st it tells me my house is on the street behind me.2nd every time I use it it is way off,big time.3rd,I would have to believe it is a sprint issue rather than a telenav issue,because I used to use a motorola phone with Boost mobile premium plan service,& used telenav on that one(& a fer other GPS apps),& it was right on.My house was somthing like 33 feet off. Anyone know of any way to get the accuracy of this thing correct? thanks

Journeyman

Re: I am having issues with the sprint navigation on my insti...

You can't find your house?

Journeyman

When dealing with the GPS accuracy remember the following items and also that our phones use A-GPS.

1. With a clear view of the sky the phone will use GPS to locate itself within approximately 20 yards.

2. With no view of the sky and good signal strength the phone will use triangulation to locate the phone using multiple cell towers with an accuracy of approximately 140 yds (0.1 miles).

3. With no view of the sky and a weak signal strength the phone will locate the phone using a single cell tower with an accuracy of approximately 1 mile.

Journeyman

I knew someone had an answer for this question...thanks...

My gps has Never found my house no matter what the signal, always next door, next block, sometimes even at an address that doesn't even exist on my block. But, It found my brothers house address 20 miles away no problem, everytime.

Yeah, it works, but it's not entirely accurate.

Journeyman

Re: Issues with GPS

My issue is that sometimes when i stop at stop light the navigation will continue on as if im still moving.

Journeyman

i too have had this happen in the past, but not in a long time. is your nav app up to date version:2.1.0.25

Journeyman

I'm also in the Nashville area. Mine is right most of the time, even when I travel. My problem is that it is constantly saying "your GPS signal is weak" and shows no progress. Happens whether rural or city. I had hoped the GPS feature would be good enough that I wouldn't have to buy a separate unit, but I'm beginning to give up on that thought.

Message Edited by FlagirlinTN on 03-13-2009 09:53 AM

Journeyman

Hi FlagirlTN, Knoxville here. Just wondering if your problem is happening when youdont have a clear view of the sky...tree coverage, buildings etc. Try removing the battery for a few minutes. Seems to help for some reason. Also what you describe happens oftenwhen the battery is low, and make sure your up to date as I stated in last post.

Journeyman

For those of you who like to experiment you can demo the sprint family locator for two weeks for free. With the locator you can locate your phone in differenct situations and see the accuracy reported from sprint. This is what my post above was based on. Below is a screen shot from the family locator site. My phone was outside with a clear view of the sky when I located it.

Locator.png

Highlighted
Journeyman

I personally loved the time it told me I missed my turn a...

I personally loved the time it told me I missed my turn and to do a uturn repeatedly.. unfortunately I was on a highway at the time and doing a uturn would have been a bit problemmatic. I also knew where I was going and intended to take an exit closer to my destination, not the one they insisted I take. It is hard to get it to reroute it to use a route I want to use as opposed to the one it chose. Also (as I wrote elsewhere) my honey has a motorola renegade and it's gps starts and gives out the directions much faster. Also I was able to choose a different route much easier than on my instinct. (I was using them side by side, seeing which was more effective). Also the renegade's directions were given louder than my instinct.

Journeyman

Re: I personally loved the time it told me I missed my turn a...

If you want more highway vs. closest route, be sure to set that in your preferences. Also, it should give you a new/different route as soon as you have gone far enough from the old one that a better choice than a U-turn (according to your preferences) can be found.

Journeyman

TroyboyTN

Thanks, but I always use the GPS with the phone plugged in (too much battery usage) and it happens when there are no trees/buildings around. I was in Chattanooga this weekend and it would only work for 5-10 minutes for a time, then get stuck. If I shut off the navigation and reload the address it would work again for 5-10 minutes, then the same issue...your GPS signal is weak. It wasn't weak when I reloaded it, only after time.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat