cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just a comment, How much trouble would have been saved the addition of a keyboard button

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just a comment, How much trouble would have been saved the addition of a keyboard button

Just a comment, I was thinking the other day how much trouble would have been saved the simple addition of a button or an fixed softkey, to bring up the instincts native keyboard and a simple instinct native navigation bar , up down right left, back, cancel, ok... This can can still be done with a softkey, why don't we have this, how hard would it be to add it, really...

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Journeyman

Re: Just a comment, How much trouble would have been saved the addition of a keyboard button

For what purpose?

Journeyman

Re: Just a comment, How much trouble would have been saved the addition of a keyboard button

It could have made it possible to use standard apps that always expect both the display and keyboard to always be available.

Journeyman

Thats not a bad idea but it would of somewhat contradicted Instinct's purpose of being a complete touchscreen phone.

Journeyman

@BobG9638 wrote:
This can can still be done with a softkey, why don't we have this, how hard would it be to add it, really...

I assume you mean this in the context of j2me apps. This would most likely require changes to the base classes of the kvm. Since the chipset is made by Qualcomm, they would probably have to be involved for low level changes. And since the hardware is made by Samsung, they would probably need to be involved for integration. And then Sprint would need regression test everything before pushing the changes to the end user.

If you've ever worked on large projects with large companies, then you know that the business is run and maintained by formal processes, which tend to be slow but precise. Honestly, I was suprised at how fast Sprint was able to implement their Screen changes. I expected the fix to take twice as long as it actually did. While most people thought it took much too long, I think their timeframe showed some serious hard work and coordination.

Now, while I have some insight into the scope of the problem and think Sprint has handled the issue fairly well, I also think that most of these issues should have been address before going to market. Unfortunately, marketting and sales tend to set release schedules, not r&d.

<rant/>

Journeyman

@Sphinx wrote:
Thats not a bad idea but it would of somewhat contradicted Instinct's purpose of being a complete touchscreen phone.

But how can a touchscreen device run an application like ssh or vnc where you want to see as much of the display as possible when not typing and the application is aways expecting input from a keyboard whether you are giving any or not? You need a way to control the keyboard view yourself.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat