cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lock Screen during a call

Highlighted
Journeyman

Lock Screen during a call

I can not figure out how to lock the screen while I am in a call and am under the strong impression this is not currently possible. A flip phone you can flip shut, a slide out phone you can slide shut, and all of the candybar phones I have owned you have been able to lock the keys. The reason for this is so that with either a wired or bluetooth headset you can take or make a call, lock the phone, and put it back in your pocket while you walk, or do dishes, or whatever. If you can't flip or slide it shut, or lock the keys, you must carry the phone at all times.... Could an InstinctAdmin please give official comment on this? Is there a way to do this that I just have not found?

Tags (3)
17 REPLIES 17
Journeyman

u can not lock it while ur on the phone.

u can not lock it while ur on the phone.

Journeyman

Isn't that a pretty glaring omission? That is BASIC featu...

Isn't that a pretty glaring omission? That is BASIC feature required for a 'candybar' style phone.

Journeyman

It should not lock up automatically. It should be an opti...

It should not lock up automatically. It should be an option. If you are calling somewhere where you need to use the numerical keyboard, you don't want to be unlocking the screen.

Journeyman

Re: It should not lock up automatically. It should be an opti...

Yeah, talk about a very basic feature and the developer/tester/program manager/the entire team just blew it. I returned the phone after 2 weeks for this very basic missing feature. I complained on this forum that I can't put the phone back in my pocket after answering a call and someone has the nerve to accuse me of wearing tooooo tight jeans. So, I asked that person if I should change the way I dress now that I own the Instinct. Very funny !

Journeyman

Re: It should not lock up automatically. It should be an opti...

this is not a big problem, maybe conserve a little bit of battery life while on a call but according to this the instinct has pretty average barrery life while in a call.. http://www.wirelessinfo.com/content/Samsung-Instinct-Cell-Phone-Review/Battery-Life.htm

only way i see that this is a problem is if you are trying to use bluetooth and put the phone back in your pocket. i havent tried it yet but it might lock auto with bluetooth. (i personally think that bluetooth is a technological gimic or flop! they are reterded looking)

im fine with the screen being on, but it would be nice to just hit the lock button and the screen world turn off.

Journeyman

Re: Lock Screen during a call

I think if you go to Home > Main > Settings > Display > Backlight section has Dim and Off settings. These apply while you are on a call. If dimming/off is more important to you whle you are on a call, then you should just set it to a lower setting (ie Dim after 15 seconds and screen off after 30.) You can put it in your pocket once the screen goes off. After all if you are not going to be on the phone for 30 seconds, chances are you are not going to put the phone in your pocket anyway. You are going to keep it out and ready to hang up once the message from the conversation has been delivered (ie, "Hi I am here, buzz me in.")

I know the Palm Treo/Centro's have the screen lock feature; however they locked the entire screen and forced you to use the directial pad to navigate to buttons. If you had to quickly bring up the dial pad it was a madening feature to have it locked vs touch. It was definately a love/hate feature.

There is a post on this board for enhancement requests. Add your request to that list if you feel this is key to your usability of the device. You dont have to propose the solution; however it probably would not be hard to allow the "lock" button to be used to "off" the screen while in a call, and then use it as usual to unlock the screen while still in a call.People can set the current backlight settings available to only go off upon "device lock" if they dont want the phone going off with out them telling it to. Setting up an option in the software to control this hardware interaction would probably be alot more cycle and development/test time.

Journeyman

it would be nice if there were an option to hit the power...

it would be nice if there were an option to hit the power button or something in order to just lock up the screen while on a call, but this is NOT a major feature problem at all in my opinion. If you're on a call and you are prompted to press a key to get somewhere in a menu, it would be annoying if it was set for some kind of auto-lock. I think anyone who would return a phone for this is absurd. Sprint, please look into this and possibly allow for an option to press on your touch screen to lock the screen up and make it so you can't accidentally disconnect the call or something while on a long call. Thanks

Journeyman

Re: it would be nice if there were an option to hit the power...

I think the feature they implemented to prevent disconnecting a call in error is you have make a left to right Guesture on the "Hang up" red button. There are many "slide" to set controls built into the instinct.

To me just allowing the lock button while in a call is just a second preventative measure to accidentail "pressing" of the screen buttons.

Journeyman

In re: to the "issue" with not being able to lo...

In re: to the "issue" with not being able to lock the phone while in a call. Was I the only one to open the box and see that they had provided me with a leather sleeve just for this BASIC design flaw. I do however, have a problem when the phone is locked and has the security code enabled, that turning off the alarm is impossible even after you unlock the phone. The only resolution was either battery life or a power cycle. Imagine my dismay when I wanted to hit the snooze button. Also I have noticed that after trying to view the Live TV streams and you are unsuccessful and back out, Once you lock the phone it gets ADD and forgets what your background is. Not really a function problem more of an asthetics conflict. You have to go back to your display options or through the My Photos menu and reassign it. Til next time. Also I have noticed that in general the menu animation has degraded over the week that I have had it. Millisecond screen lock ups. Thanks in advance. P.S. It is an outstanding phone and I get off on showing up my friends IPhone 3G's. Wonder if WiFi will be available in 2.0? Shortcuts to volume, clock, etc..., from the drop down status screen from the top. The one that drops down when you touch the top status icons. Would be a great Xmas present too.

Journeyman

I put the ability to lock the screen during a call towards the top of my wishlist. My phonehas a tendency to try to add a call when i walk withit in my pocket - maybe my pants are too tight.I haven't seen any mention of it elsewhere in the things to update list, so i just wanted to add a littlelenght to this thread. Hopefully it'l get noticed and addressed.

Journeyman

I agree 100%. This is towards the top of my wish list as well. I'd love to be able to lock the screen by hitting the lock button or after the normal timeout period after the screen dims. Even if it saves a little battery power or prevents my face from hitting the keys, it's worth it. I also really wish it had the option to enter a password at power on. I don't necessarily need to enter a password everytime i unlock the phone but it would be nice at power on. ALSO, while i'm listening to music (streaming music that is) I want the screen to turn off and save power. I dont need to see the little album art unless i want to. You can only stream music for about an hour and a half before the battery dies. There are so many quirks that i'd love to add to a wish list. Is there an official "Wish List" thread?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat