cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAC: Best way to sync contacts and calendar events

Journeyman

MAC: Best way to sync contacts and calendar events

OK, so I've seen a few questions sort touching this topic, but I want to ask it straight out:

What is the best way to sync Mac Contacts and Calendar events with an Instinct? It doesn't look like the Instinct will sync with Mac Calendar and Address Book, any luck with Entourage? I saw someone mention Google Calendar / Contacts? Did they download the Google software to the Instinct and use it that way?

Someone had a (not-so) clever suggestion of Boot Camp, not an option, thanks.

I'm going back and forth between waiting for the new iPhone and using the Instinct, but I *REALLY* need some kind of support for contacts and calendar. It doesn't have to be Mac Address Book and Calendar, and if it's Google, that's fine as long as I can enter contact info in one place and have it available on both my Mac and the Instinct.

Frankly, I'd really rather go with the Instinct, but it looks like there's a pretty big lack of Mac support...

Even if I "work around" this issue using Google, I think some Mac support would be great, especially wireless! (hint, hint, it looks like there are Sprint people watching the boards)

Tags (4)
15 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: MAC: Best way to sync contacts and calendar events

rutledjw wrote:

OK, so I've seen a few questions sort touching this topic, but I want to ask it straight out:

What is the best way to sync Mac Contacts and Calendar events with an Instinct? It doesn't look like the Instinct will sync with Mac Calendar and Address Book, any luck with Entourage? I saw someone mention Google Calendar / Contacts? Did they download the Google software to the Instinct and use it that way?

Someone had a (not-so) clever suggestion of Boot Camp, not an option, thanks.

I'm going back and forth between waiting for the new iPhone and using the Instinct, but I *REALLY* need some kind of support for contacts and calendar. It doesn't have to be Mac Address Book and Calendar, and if it's Google, that's fine as long as I can enter contact info in one place and have it available on both my Mac and the Instinct.

Frankly, I'd really rather go with the Instinct, but it looks like there's a pretty big lack of Mac support...

Even if I "work around" this issue using Google, I think some Mac support would be great, especially wireless! (hint, hint, it looks like there are Sprint people watching the boards)

Let's see... The Instinct will not synch with iCal or Address Book. As for Entourage, I do not know. I do not use it. If you're a real fan of Apple products (iCal and Address Book), then I don't know what to say. I always thought they were "cute" apps, but never cared much for them. Now with the Instinct, I totally dropped both. On the other hand, since there's no real Mac support out of the box, I've been using Google Calendar. I have it as my home page on the web. The calendar looks nice. I have not tried synching with Google contacts because I don't need that. I transferred all my contacts at the Sprint store when I bought the Instinct. Now, I maintain my contacts on the phone and on the Sprint page (My Online Tools).

Since my email app is also outside of Apple I use Thunderbird I simply installed the extension Lightning on Thunderbird. It's a nice calendar and will even import your iCal data. The beauty of this combo for me is that if I enter any dates on my calendar in any computer I use, it'll sync with Google Calendar. I don't have to push any buttons or do anything. It's all done automatically. If I'm at home, at the office or on the road, my Macs will all have the exact same calendar. There's no charge for any of that (no need for a .Mac account) and there is no need to download any special software as long as you're already a Thunderbird user.

So far, I have not had the need to install that disc that came with the Instinct or use Boot Camp for any reason. If my music and audio books I upload directly from the Mac using a card reader.

Journeyman

I understand some people don't mind using a web calendar...

I understand some people don't mind using a web calendar but obviously Samsung realized people would want direct access to email, why did they think people would not want the same thing with their calendars and contacts?

Journeyman

Re: I understand some people don't mind using a web calendar...

trboden wrote:
I understand some people don't mind using a web calendar but obviously Samsung realized people would want direct access to email, why did they think people would not want the same thing with their calendars and contacts?

... And that's the million dollar question! Though I really like the Instinct, the calendar sucks. It's pathetic.

Journeyman

I tried to sync my contacts using online tools page, but...

I tried to sync my contacts using online tools page, but it is not doing it fully. I had to take it to the local store and synced all my contacts. Service rep told me 1 month before of Instinct release that, Calendar's won't be synced. I don't like Calendars in Instinct

Journeyman

If your looking to spend more money theres a program that...

If your looking to spend more money theres a program that lets you sync Microsoft based phones with a mac........MISSING SYNC FOR WINDOWS MOBILE 40$ I have to be straight though......i hate putting anything microsoft on my Mac.........Its like putting mustard on on a peanut butter and jelly mix......

Journeyman

Re: If your looking to spend more money theres a program that...

nicmon wrote:
If your looking to spend more money theres a program that lets you sync Microsoft based phones with a mac........MISSING SYNC FOR WINDOWS MOBILE 40$ I have to be straight though......i hate putting anything microsoft on my Mac.........Its like putting mustard on on a peanut butter and jelly mix......

However, that would not work for the Instinct, unfortunately. The Instinct is Java based, not Windows. Incidentally, the Missing Sync support folks already said that they will not support the Instinct. At least for now, that's what they're saying.

Journeyman

works for me, did i get lucky? or did i just get a phone...

works for me, did i get lucky? or did i just get a phone thats messed up? (not messing around)

Journeyman

Re: works for me, did i get lucky? or did i just get a phone...

nicmon wrote:
works for me, did i get lucky? or did i just get a phone thats messed up? (not messing around)

Are you using a Mac? What missing sync version are you using? "MIssing Sync for Windows Mobile?"

Journeyman

Re: MAC: Best way to sync contacts and calendar events

voodoogmr wrote:

Not really true syncing, but I just transfer all my contacts from Address Book to the phone via Bluetooth. Works perfectly. While still a manual process, it sure beats typing them all in. Plus, once in the phone, it will synce to Sprint's website, giving me another backup of them.

Too bad you can't do the same thing with iCal.

It may not be "true" automatic/wireless syncing, but still a great improvement! This is half-way there to be honest, which isn't half bad. If Sprint can add a similar feature for calendar sync, that's it. I'm an Instinct customer... If Sprint fixes Java support, I'm going to use Google mobile to mark this fixed and get the deivce...

Thanks for your solution on the contacts!

Message Edited by rutledjw on 07-09-2008 10:39 AM

Community News

Community News

Find out whats happening on the bridge, we'll share new features and fun on the community as well as exciting news from the mothership...read more.