Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MR4 update and various updates.... CHILL

Journeyman

Re: MR4 update and various updates.... CHILL

@jonnythan wrote:

@99cg3md wrote:

i dont think they have ever marketed this as an "iphone killer" that was said by comsumers and reviews.

everyone still thinks they marketed it as an iphone killer... but if you re-watch those clips... you'll see their really not

http://www.instinctthephone.com/

Look at the ads. The main topic of every one of them is that the Instinct is better and has more features than the iPhone.

So they have clips... that show specific features of SPRINT and of the instinct... and you take that as sprint saying "we're the iphone killer!!!!" nope, its taking the most popular touchscreen phone and compairing it to that.

same thing has been done to the dare and othre phones on youtube. does that make the instinct a dare killer too? its marketing to the most popular phone, same thing as the mac vs pc commercials.

Journeyman

For myself, I will only stick with ultra popular devices. I had bought an ic902, and was extremely disheartened by the lack of support for this phone. Motorola Phone Tools wouldn't even work on this phone, much less anything else. Last week, I opted for the Instinct, mostly because I love the Sprint network, and it's SEP plan seems to be the best value. However, I'll likely be returning the Instinct for a Blackberry or leave Sprint for Verizon, and get the BB Storm. To me it's clear the Instinct will be nothing more than just another candy bar device with very limited support, an abysmal browser, and very few apps. Sure the MR4 update, MIGHT fix some of those concerns. I just don't want to be saddled for another two years, of wishing I had a device that had cool accessories and apps.

fwiw.. The iPhone isn't even a consideration. Sure it has tons and tons of really cool apps, but its actual PHONE functionality is flat out pathetic. - Deal Killer -

Highlighted
Journeyman

I think 99 has a point in the sense most people consider themselves professionals because they read forums, trade magazines, etc.. However unless you have walked a mile in someone's shoes, you cant assume Sprint "put one over on you."

Also, I have said it before and I will keep saying it. I get updates for Windows all the time. I get a notification when the update is ready, not that is in development, testing, or even about to go live. The same is true of my xbox 360, playstation 3, and any number of applications I use. Once the update is available for download and update, I get information as to its contents. This is the case with any other phone, includes WIndows Mobile gadgets, and even the iPhone users complain of not knowing what is coming in an update until the day after it is released.

So I think it istaking a step above the rest for Sprint to provide any information at all on an up coming update, its targeted contents, and when it will be tested and announced officially for release. It is risky and there are issues with filtering the information down into the forums (i.e. all external communications, I am sure have to be sanitized, review by lawyers, press agents, marketing, etc... ) One person just does not write these things up and publish them these days.

I would also think people would realize that as there have been posts on this very forum threating Sprint with a class action law suit for being lied to about this phone's capabilities.... Sprint is probably watching what they say VERY CAREFULLY on this forum regarding this product.

As for the PDA, Smart Phone, and iPhone references... you are notconsidered "innovative" for being JUST LIKE THE OTHERS. You are innovative for taking a different approach to a common need/demand. No, the Instinct is not as endless as Windows Mobile, Palm, or even the MAC OS on the iPhone... BUT there are many simplistics to it in the fact it does not require a lot of hardware power to operate... which makes it an AFFORDABLE DEVICE! People have been mentioning the Touch Diamond, Blackberries, etc... as better than the Instinct.However you look at the prices of those devices and they are MUCH more expensive than the Instinct. Which to most makes it unaffordable, especially in this trying economy. So Sprint was very innovative in that approach to deliver an affordable device that also had alot of the functions and features people were looking for. Did it make EVERYONE happy? No, but that is why there are always new devices coming out. So people can find the device that is right for them; however that does not mean it will always come at the lower price of the Instinct either.

Journeyman

99, So the instinct is just a "Phone" as you say, so then why does sprint continue marketing as an iphone killer and even more importantly why are we FORCED on to expensive "Everything" plans when we clearly cant take advantage of everything? After all we ARE PAYING for it whether me like it or not. I mean come on, even old cheap flip phones had an instant messenger on them but with the instinct youre forced to pay for unlimited messaging anyway. And since youre paying for unlimited data, why shouldnt you get a decent web browser? If sprint doesnt want to give us a decent browser then fine, but they need to get the java keyboard fix out asap so we can at least use opera mini. But if you want to insist this is "just a phone" then we should be able to use "Phone only" plans and not be forced onto their simply everything plans.

Journeyman

i dont think they have ever marketed this as an "iphone killer" that was said by comsumers and reviews. Sprint did marketing compairing the 2 phones, as 'touch screen phones" sprints main stratigy to me was... our phones a touch screen, music, and browser, just like the Iphone, but our network is faster and we have better GPS.

everyone still thinks they marketed it as an iphone killer... but if you re-watch those clips... you'll see their really not

Journeyman

@99cg3md wrote:

i dont think they have ever marketed this as an "iphone killer" that was said by comsumers and reviews.

http://www.instinctthephone.com/

Look at the ads. The main topic of every one of them is that the Instinct is better and has more features than the iPhone.

Journeyman

@99cg3md wrote:

So they have clips... that show specific features of SPRINT and of the instinct... and you take that as sprint saying "we're the iphone killer!!!!" nope, its taking the most popular touchscreen phone and compairing it to that.

When you label your video clip 'instinct vs. iphone' it doesn't make a lot of sense to pretend is isn't a claim to be an iphone killer...

But the real comparison should show who rolled out the bug fixes quickly and correctly. Yes you both shipped bugs, something that might be understandable for a company new to the phone business or a company that has no experience with the development problems you describe in your post. But the new kid on the block wins this round while we are stuck with something that doesn't even resemble the deceptive advertising. When I purchased mine it was listed as a top of the line smart phone, a java device, and compatible with exchange. It won't accept a certificate to work with our exchange setup and wouldn't sync the calendar even if it did. And its internal calendar is next to useless. I had a recurring event set up with a notice 10 minutes early (which didn't work at all for months but finally did after the first fix), tried to edit it so the notice was on time and it said it was an invalid date. Then when I moved the start date up, it deleted the whole thing.

Patron

mmm...actually they did market this as THE iphone killer. References?

sprint to steve jobs: D.O.A. (Dead on arrival) for you

In their first commercial after stating "lightning fast internet" I quote, "An Iphone killer"

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat