cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Music player bug or error

Highlighted
Journeyman

Music player bug or error

I'm hoping someone out there has experienced the following issue: I use my Instinct to play podcast files - typically 36-37 minutes long. When you pause the file and do other things on the phone or just lock it, then come back later, the music player reverts to the first song on the device so you lose your place in a long file and then have to scan through to find it again. Very annoying!I've also had it happen just on standard mp3 files (songs) as well. Anyone else have this issue or know of a fix??? Help - thinking of taking the Instinct back if this is not fixable. Thx.

Tags (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Journeyman

Re: Music player bug or error

Is there any way to get someone from Sprint to respond to this post? It has been an issue in the Music Player on Sprint devices for a long time. Anyone??? I'd be happy to find out it's something I can fix on my own by doing something different transferring the files, naming convention, etc., but I do need to know if it is a legitimate bug. Thanks.

Sprint Product Ambassador

I believe that's the default behaviour - once the application is sent to the background, it exits and cleans up it's memory space.  So when you restart it it does not remember where you were in the song or podcast.  If it continued running, it would use up memory, increase CPU usage, slow other apps down and decrease battery life.

Thus, this is a compromise between functionality and battery life / speed.

However, I have sent this in to dev to see if there's any more information.

Thanks,

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Master

@wengla02 wrote:

I believe that's the default behaviour - once the application is sent to the background, it exits and cleans up it's memory space. So when you restart it it does not remember where you were in the song or podcast. If it continued running, it would use up memory, increase CPU usage, slow other apps down and decrease battery life.

Thus, this is a compromise between functionality and battery life / speed.

However, I have sent this in to dev to see if there's any more information.

Thanks,

Will, That's not normal. I listen to hour long podcast all the time and if I pause it, When I restart the music player it is right where I paused it. The only time it resets is if I remove the card or hook it up to the computer. The only common "Bug" that most have with long songs or podcast is that the forward slide will revert to the beginning when you try to go forward 25 mins or so.

Journeyman

Will,

Thanks for your reply. I have one more thing to add: it also locks the phone if a call comes in.

1. Listening to long podcast file in the music player, typically 37-40 min. in length. Either throught bluetooth stereo headset or using the speaker - it doesn't matter.
  2. Phone vibrates when incoming call comes in - the audible ringer usually doesn't ring.
  3. The answer call screen comes up after a long delay but no option can be selected - the screen is locked, including the power button.
  4. After the call finally goes to voicemail - the screen flashes and a "Entering Sprint Service Area" message comes up on the screen.
  5. The Speed Dial screen is now displayed.
  6. You can go back to the Music Player but it rescans the card and puts you at the main screen.
  7. The call is also missed.

The result is you lose the place in the audio file AND you miss a call while the phone is locked up. Should I take this into a store for a tech to observe? I'm not sure what to do since I really love the device if it weren't for this serious issue. If it were just themusic player I could probably live with it but I can't miss calls as well.

Thanks for all your help.

Journeyman

Will,

Just FYI... As a last resort I took the phone into a Sprint store to give a tech. the chance to observe the issue. OF COURSE, it worked perfectly every time in the store. As soon as I got home the problem was back again. I work in Net. Ops. and have no idea how location could impact this but something did. I looked into the device and used the "reset all settings" option. Now it is working perfectly. I have no idea what caused or which setting may have been the issue but file this one way in case you hear of others with this problem. Thanks and keep up the good work.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat