cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Instinct Experience.....

Journeyman MDG
Journeyman

My Instinct Experience.....

<p>Let me preface this by saying, I realize this phone can continue to be refined and improved upon and is not the perfect solution for everyone, but that said, here's my latest Instinct story.........</p><p> </p><p>OK, a little back ground, yes I work for Sprint, however, I'm also a pretty basic and, we'll say "frugal" guy. My previous phone was RAZR, because it was basically free, and I never really saw myself really needing to do anything but make a few phone calls  to stay in touch with my wife during my commute, as I'm basically tethered to my computer and desk phone all day anyway........</p><p> </p><p>The beauty of the Instinct and how much my views on my cell phone have changed, really became apparent to me this past weekend.........</p><p> </p><p>My wonderful wife, just gave birth to my second child, a little girl. Unfortunately, it was a C-section, so I was basically holed up in a hospital room with her for the better part of 4 or 5 days. Here's how the Instinct helped me keep my sanity....</p><p> </p><p>1) I was able to send picturemail/email photos to my closest relatives/friends and announce the birth while still hanging out in the recovery room with my wife.</p><p> </p><p>2) I was able to use the Facebook application on my phone and upload photos/videos, plus change my status and post all the details on my wall, and also get near instant feedback from my friends as they congratulated us and commented on the photos.</p><p> </p><p>3) I was able to catch up on my Sprint corporate work email and delete all the "junk" email I get from the various distribution lists that I'm a part of, plus read up on the latest developments going on in my group, so that I was not overwhelmed with email my first day back in the office.</p><p> </p><p>4) ditto, my Yahoo email account.</p><p> </p><p>5) Hospital food is horrible. I was able to use live search and find the closest "real food" to the hospital. BIG PLUS!</p><p> </p><p>6) The morning we arrived the temps stayed in the 20's all day, by the time we left we were basically in the upper 60's. Being cooped up in a hospital room, you lose track of what things are like on the "outside". The weather app let me know I could leave my heavy jacket in the room when I went out for food.</p><p> </p><p>7) Web browser- Surprisingly, I found my self using both the stock web browser and Opera Mobile equally. I was able to keep up on the current headlines and how my favorite teams were doing.</p><p> </p><p>8) Notes....yes, I even used the notes application to remind myself of when all the follow up appointments needed to be made for both my wife and the baby.</p><p> </p><p>9) Camera/video.- of course I took lots of pictures and video with both my personal camera and also the Instinct camera, so that I could immediately send them out, versus having to wait till I got home and download them on my desktop computer.</p><p> </p><p>10) Texting- I have never sent more text messages then this past weekend, great way to keep in touch at times like this. </p><p> </p><p>11) Battery life, I had both batteries fully charged and they got me through 4-5 days with heavy data use! </p><p> </p><p>12) Oh yeah, and I did get to make those "few" voice calls I wanted the phone for. </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>So what did I learn.......I really do "want" and "need" all that my cell phone can do, while before I thought really only cared about being able to make phone calls. All in all, I really feel that I'm starting to use the this phone to the fullest. I guess this post is as much a reflection on what today's mobile technology can provide as well as the Instinct in particular. I realize a lot of this stuff is "basic stuff" for a lot of this forums users, however, there is a big percentage of our population who is just learning all that your phone can really do for you. This weekend I lived it, rather then "just playing around" with the phones features. </p><p> </p><p>OK, now time for another cup of coffee.......not sleeping much these days  :)</p><p> </p><p>-MDG </p><p> </p><p> </p><div class='message-edit-history'><span class='edit-author'>Message Edited by MDG on </span><span class='local-date'> 02-11-2009</span><span class='local-time'> 11:14 AM</span></div>

25 REPLIES 25
Patron

Re: My Instinct Experience.....

First of all, congrats on the baby.

I agree completely. This phone, and not only this phone, but also, a lot of others phones can also do a lot of things. We should coin a new term, I think the word "cell phone" is way to low for what phones can do today, even basic ones.

And about this line "I realize a lot of this stuff is "basic stuff" for a lot of this forums users, however, there is a big percentage of our population who is just learning all that your phone can really do for you."

It is a correct statement, and I have experienced it. For me, they are basic features, but showing people what to do, and that's about 5 people already, they end up amazed what this "basic stuff" can do. One of them didn't even know you could watch live TV! And yes, she was an Instinct owner, sadly, she wasn't informed of all the features. (Take note Mods!)

Don't get me wrong, the Instinct is a great piece of a phone, but sometimes I feel that it needs an extra push. I know those "pushes" can be slow, but hey, why not an App Store? Even if it comes in 6 more months, let people create stuff, but just put it in one main hub, like the Apple app store. You guys could end up with money, and the hardcore users happy. In today's market we need to be very very competitive.

Once again, it was a nice read and congrats on the baby, and persoanlly I have experiences on my own but too much to post, lol!

Journeyman

Re: My Instinct Experience.....

The Instinct capabilities are very nice, however people on these forums take that for granted, they only want what they see in iphone commercials.

Patron

Re: My Instinct Experience.....


@Sphinx wrote:
The Instinct capabilities are very nice, however people on these forums take that for granted, they only want what they see in iphone commercials.

Although you do have certain degree of truth, people are seeing this as an iPhone Competitor (it is!), and psycollogically they think it needs iPhone those (and I am one of those). After all, we want something better, right?

Journeyman

Re: My Instinct Experience.....

I just want to know how you got 4-5 days out of 2 batteries with heavy data usage. I assume you're saying you didn't recharge during that time.

If I leave my phone in sleep mode, it'll last for days. With "normal" usage, I still have 80% by the time I get home from work. But if I start taking pics and video, sending said pics and video, heavy texting, using live search, checking weather, bored in a hospital browsing the web, etc, as you described, I'd be on my second battery by nightfall easy.

Journeyman

Re: My Instinct Experience.....

Anything added to the Instinct...something has been taken away...this is what I've observed...

Congrats on the new baby, may you and your family enjoy years of peace and joy...Babies are cool

Journeyman

Re: My Instinct Experience.....


@NSpeed wrote:

@Sphinx wrote:
The Instinct capabilities are very nice, however people on these forums take that for granted, they only want what they see in iphone commercials.

Although you do have certain degree of truth, people are seeing this as an iPhone Competitor (it is!), and psycollogically they think it needs iPhone those (and I am one of those). After all, we want something better, right?


Well the Instinct has never claimed to beat or compete with Iphone in terms of third party applications. I've never seen commercials or ads advertising that. Yeah a Contest was announced but obviously it didn't work out. In addition, Sprint has stated repeatedly that they are not developing an Instinct specific App Store so why do people keep harping on it? But the thing is, why should they? The Digital Lounge is already a universal App Store, any app Sprint signs that is Instinct compatible can be thrown there an easily downloaded to the phone. So In my view I see no need for a button on the Instinct that says App Store. The only thing Sprint needs to do is continue to develop the Lounge like they obviously will. And sheesh, I can care less about 10,000 mostly crappy apps, if Sprint simply put apps that people actually want like (IM, Pandora, which we now have) thats fine with me. Just the good stuff please. So I say instead of complaining to Sprint about an Instinct specific App store, write down your top 10 or 20 applications that you'd like to see on the Instinct and ask Sprint for those.

Journeyman

Re: My Instinct Experience.....

The instinct doesn't need an app store per se, but if an app were developed to access the software in the digital lounge without using the browser I think it would quiet a lot of the griping. This could easily be done, but I doubt Sprint would go through the trouble.

Journeyman

Re: My Instinct Experience.....


@sweet greggo wrote:
The instinct doesn't need an app store per se, but if an app were developed to access the software in the digital lounge without using the browser I think it would quiet a lot of the griping. This could easily be done, but I doubt Sprint would go through the trouble.

I see what your saying but is that really necessary? Is the "Get New Games &amp; Apps" button in the fun menu not enough seriously? It performs the same function of a so called App Store. Just throw some nice apps in the lounge and call it a day. People complain about Apps but at the same time they give Sprint no credit for the high amount and excellent quality of games.

Journeyman

Re: My Instinct Experience.....


@Sphinx wrote:

@sweet greggo wrote:
The instinct doesn't need an app store per se, but if an app were developed to access the software in the digital lounge without using the browser I think it would quiet a lot of the griping. This could easily be done, but I doubt Sprint would go through the trouble.

I see what your saying but is that really necessary? Is the "Get New Games & Apps" button in the fun menu not enough seriously? It performs the same function of a so called App Store. Just throw some nice apps in the lounge and call it a day. People complain about Apps but at the same time they give Sprint no credit for the high amount and excellent quality of games.

I assume you are referring to the "Shopping" button on the Fun screen, and no, apparently it's NOT enough. Everyone sees the commercials or has a friend that has the iphone, and see how their app store looks and functions, and that's what they want.

This program would be so simple someone could probably knock it out in a week, and if done correctly, would make it look like Sprint created a marketplace specifically for the Instinct. The griping about an "app store" would quiet down significantly.

Journeyman

Re: My Instinct Experience.....

Once again I disagree with you, all Sprint should do is put some nice universal apps in the lounge. Who cares how its accessed as long as downloading is quick and easy, which it is. The main factor with this iphone comparison thing is Sprint has many phones, Apple has one. Sprint should do what its been doing and thats focus on serving all its customers. What is logical is for Sprint to develop apps that can work on a majority of their phones, not just Instinct. And besides, many of you have already voiced concern whenever Sprint has a price for an app or game. In other words, Instinct owners want apps, but dont want to pay for them.

Message Edited by Sphinx on 02-11-2009 12:38 PM

Journeyman

Re: My Instinct Experience.....

Is this the reason we need that app store?

http://i.gizmodo.com/5150854/31-fart-apps-in-90-seconds

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat