Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Instinct Experience.....

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: My Instinct Experience.....

@Sphinx wrote:
Once again I disagree with you, all Sprint should do is put some nice universal apps in the lounge. Who cares how its accessed as long as downloading is quick and easy, which it is. The main factor with this iphone comparison thing is Sprint has many phones, Apple has one. Sprint should do what its been doing and thats focus on serving all its customers. What is logical is for Sprint to develop apps that can work on a majority of their phones, not just Instinct. And besides, many of you have already voiced concern whenever Sprint has a price for an app or game. In other words, Instinct owners want apps, but dont want to pay for them.
Message Edited by Sphinx on 02-11-2009 12:38 PM

I disagree with your disagreement. You ask "who cares how its accessed"... apparently those that come here and complain about it do, which is not a small number of people.

Whether an app works on other phones I think is irrelevent here. It's all about how those apps are purchased. Downloading may be "quick and easy" but it's not "slick and cool" like what is experienced when buying apps on the iphone. Look at their commercials, they make buying the programs look FUN. Sprint's Digital Lounge is NOT fun. No images, weak descriptions and just plain bleh.

You may have missed the point on the Sprint's pricing on their software. Most people don't gripe about the apps not being free (cept the kiddies, maybe), most gripe about the monthly fees. If a one time payment for a game you buy for your console or PC is good enough, why isn't it good enough for your cell phone? That pricing makes ZERO sense, unless you see it for what it is: Shameless money siphoning from Sprint.

Highlighted
Journeyman MDG
Journeyman

Thanks to all for the well wishes.

Sweet Greggo- Yes, I needed both batteries. Went through the first one completely and was around 40%, I think (yellow) on the second one with out charging. Most of my phone settings are similar to some of the battery conservation tips that I believe are listed somewhere on the frequently asked Instinct thread.

I know some people seem to go thru batteries quickly, however, I've always been amazed at how long I can go on a battery. Maybe I'm just lucky or maybe some batteries have issues?

I will say that at the hospital the Sprint RevA signal was very strong, usually the maximum bars, so maybe that had something to do with it. (I did not use the SprintTV or the music player, mostly web browsing and picture uploads)

Also, heavy usage for me might not be what you consider heavy usage, I guess approx 1-2 hrs of data usage per day? while I was there plus a couple of 10 minute calls per day for a 4-5 day stretch (well mostly 4 days, as we came home on the 5th day, and I didn't play with the phone much that morning).
Message Edited by MDG on 02-11-2009 02:45 PM

Highlighted
Journeyman

Actually, the game pricing makes perfect sense. Most of the games Ilook athave an option of paying a single fee or a lower-priced per-month subscription. This is actually a nice way to try out a game before deciding to flat-out purchase it, or to download a game you know you won't want to keep permanently. Or, for that matter, it's great for when your neices and nephews want to play a game on your phone and you can download it for one day or so. Much better than having to pay full price.

I see no reason for an app store either. I don't care about "fun" shopping; I want to get the shopping done and play with my new app. That said, I would like to see them implement a better way to preview things on the phone (like ringers). I would like their search to bring up stuff in the store only. And I would like for the stupid thing to not time out three times while shopping (Page has expired? Please...). Still, it isn't a bad thing. I don't shop the store much because I don't seem to be the demographic for most of their offerings...

Yeah, the Instinct isn't perfect. Yeah, I would like to see some things work better on it. Yeah, I have my own wish list of stuff for it. But, of the 4 phones I have had in 10 years, I would say it has the best call quality, and has been the most fun experience. It has helped me evolve my phone-using habits. I have never had a "perfect" phone, and I don't expect to ever have one? I've heard horror tales from family and friends about their phones and/or service providers, and they are equal or worse than anything I have heard here. I don't think it's the phone; I don't think it is the company. I think it is that all phone companies are going to find a way to "screw" you, and you just have to find the one whose "screwing you over" you find most palatable. Will I be an Instinct owner this time next year? I don't know. I like it enough, certainly. But the Pre looks juicy, and I do like technology. But I won't be getting a new phone out of dissatisfaction with the Instinct. I love my Instinct, even after seven months of hard use. (Also, unlike my old RAZR, it works in -15F temperatures...)

Message Edited by Hilla on 02-11-2009 01:51 PM

Highlighted
Journeyman

I too think this is more then a suitable phone. At $100 or so cheaper then the iPhone, and less per month, it is the better value.

My first weekend and my first business trip with the Instinct gave me as much satisfaction as your first weekend with it.

And let's not forget about voice dialing, and turn by turn. The iPhone users want that still.

And many of the apps I see advertised for the iPhone simply provide info I can get by surfing the web. Big Whoop!

And as for Instinct owners wanting what they see in iPhone ads, so do many iPhone owners. There are a couple lawsuits in play now over the fact the ads show the surfing speed as faster then reality.

iPhone envy? No. Android envy?? A little, but its not quite there yet. About the time I'll want one, my contract will be up.

And congratulations on the new baby.

And now the bad news, with a family, your gadget buying days (even with a company discount) are now curtailed a lot!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I disagree with your disagreement. You ask "who cares how its accessed"... apparently those that come here and complain about it do, which is not a small number of people.

Whether an app works on other phones I think is irrelevent here. It's all about how those apps are purchased. Downloading may be "quick and easy" but it's not "slick and cool" like what is experienced when buying apps on the iphone. Look at their commercials, they make buying the programs look FUN. Sprint's Digital Lounge is NOT fun. No images, weak descriptions and just plain bleh.

You may have missed the point on the Sprint's pricing on their software. Most people don't gripe about the apps not being free (cept the kiddies, maybe), most gripe about the monthly fees. If a one time payment for a game you buy for your console or PC is good enough, why isn't it good enough for your cell phone? That pricing makes ZERO sense, unless you see it for what it is: Shameless money siphoning from Sprint.

See once again I feel that you take Instinct capability for granted. You say its not as "cool" as iphone but Instinct is way more diverse when it comes to getting games and apps on the phone. For one, you can simply log onto your account on a PC and buy things online from the Lounge. Secondly, the shopping icon on the phone, and the add games/appsbuttontake you directly to that same area. Also there is no shortage of uploaders all over the net where third party applications can be sent to the phone. Iphone commercials may look "cool" but the app store is it for them. If I wanted to simply create an app and put it on my iphone I cant unless I'm officially part of the App Store, and thats certainly not cool.

Highlighted
Journeyman

got my iphone last week. it kills the instinct in every w...

got my iphone last week. it kills the instinct in every way. yeah i know it doenst have live search out of the box but does have an app for it that uses google maps. (got 15,000 apps now) instinct has a couple of other features that iphone doesnt but i sure dont miss them with everything else i got. instinct was suppose to be competitor of iphones , instinct just used that advertisement to deceive and sucker lots of people in on a 2 yr contract in hope of a phone that could out perform or atleast match the iphones. im putting my instinct on a seasonal plan for remaining time thats cheaper than breaking the contract! yeah i know the regulars are going to hate so go ahead and hate i dont mind. throw the couple reasons why you still think the instinct is better. you can hang on to those for as long until the instinct is extinct. deep down you still know the iphone kills the extinct. thats why you hang on for dear life to the few things the instinct can do that the iphone doesnt do....

Highlighted
Journeyman

to sphinx if you jail break your iphone (which took me ab...

to sphinx if you jail break your iphone (which took me about 3 mins to do) then download winterboard. it opens up thousands of third party pass that are not most defiantly not part of the app store. those give you free roam of every aspect of the iphone (backgrounds, colors, themes, keyboards, web browser color options even down to the color of the keyboard when keys are pressed) plus even more free games and apps that apples app store doesnt have or allow.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: to sphinx if you jail break your iphone (which took me ab...

Crash dude, I have no problem with your opinion on each phone, but its somewhat known around here that you are an iphone troll, so if you can help it, stop invading threads with your uhh...trollness. Thing is, you dont have to tell us what iphone can or cant do or what instinct can and cant do, everybody on these forums know the differences. Real people dont care which phone is "better" they care about what phone is "best for their needs." You understand that? Good, now go away

Highlighted
Journeyman

@Sphinx wrote:

See once again I feel that you take Instinct capability for granted. You say its not as "cool" as iphone but Instinct is way more diverse when it comes to getting games and apps on the phone. For one, you can simply log onto your account on a PC and buy things online from the Lounge. Secondly, the shopping icon on the phone, and the add games/appsbuttontake you directly to that same area. Also there is no shortage of uploaders all over the net where third party applications can be sent to the phone. Iphone commercials may look "cool" but the app store is it for them. If I wanted to simply create an app and put it on my iphone I cant unless I'm officially part of the App Store, and thats certainly not cool.

Please don't misunderstand what I'm saying. I personally am satisfied with this phone. My argument is for all the folks that gripe about not having an official "app store". Having an interface that would give the user a more pleasing experience would quiet a lot of that griping. It doesn't matter (to them) what the limitations of the iphone are, or what is available for the Instinct. They just want an "app store", period. And even though Sprint never promised to create one, with the hype of the Developers Contest, a lot of people assumed that their very own app store was right around the corner.</p>

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sweet Greggo, when put like that you are right. There are many people who simply want the phrase "App Store" a part of Instinct. As a result, they ignore, or like I mentioned, take for granted, the many ways you can install applications onto the phone. I personally would not like to see an Instinct App Store especially if it means that all thrid party apps must be signed and pre approved by Sprint. Meaning, Sprint will determine what we can and cant download on our phones. I guarantee if that were to happen then many people would complain and wish things were how they are now. But the app concept is getting ridiculous, have you seen G1's latest commercials where a woman asks "how fast does a shark swim?" I mean seriously why would you need an app for that???!!! I guess if I'm somewhere in the middle of the ocean and a Tiger Shark is after me, I can whip out my phone and find out their speed, velocity, and bite thrust! Besides, couldn't I just google that information?? Couldn't I just google a majority of things that apps offer??

This App rush may sell a lot of units and make a lot of money but in my opinion it is the most overrated development in cell phone history.

Message Edited by Sphinx on 02-11-2009 04:34 PM

Highlighted
Journeyman

Steve Jobs created an empire based on overhyping.

Highlighted
Journeyman

sphinx says what.... wow down to name calling again alrea...

sphinx says what.... wow down to name calling again already.... you just dont need to talk about something you dont know nothing about like the iphone you are clueless about it when you talk of it. or you just dont want to admit the faults of your phone when compared to the iphone. the name calling is just your last resort to save face for your wanna be iphone. sphinx say what.... lol

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat