cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My instinct phone failed to call 911

Highlighted
Journeyman

My instinct phone failed to call 911

**Just a little warning, im going to tell a little bit about what happened tonight to show how rediculous (and dangerous) this is, and if ur easily disturbed by violence (this isnt extremely violent) then u might want to consider not reading this post.

I've had a lot of problems with my instinct phone but this one definately crossed a line. I work as a bundle hauler for my local newspaper here and last night was pretty eventful. I was dropping a delivery off a delivery at a Cigarette Outlet in a not so good part of town when i heard some a man and woman across the street get in an arguement.They werestart screaming at each other so i started to watch over the situation while i was there. Shortly after this woman sprints off the deck trying to get away and this guy chases after her and tackles her on the sidewalk. At this point this guy startsphysically assultingheron the ground whileshes struggling to get away and screamingfor helpso i panic and call 911. I put the phone up to my ear and it doesnt start ringing, so i look at my phone again and i have some message that was flashing up in the middle of my screen every other second or so that said something along the lines of "911 Emergency is reserved for emergency situations only". I tried pressing buttons to clear it and redial but the screen was completely unresponsive to anything i did and it still wasnt ringing. After 10-15 seconds or so of fiddling with the stupid thing i had to pull the battery and reset the phone. So here i am waiting for my $#*&$ phone to start back up while this woman is getting dragged across the concrete on her back into this housescreaming for help. Finally the phone starts back up and try dialing 911 again and thankfully it worked as expected this time.

I am completely outraged from this. What if i needed to call 911 and i was in a situation where i couldntjust go reset the phone when it locked up like that? I would have been screwed! Im not going to sit here and have a phone that i dont feel confident i can rely on it to call 911 when i need it. Ill be going into my sprint store tomorrow and be demanding for a replacement phone unless they can do something with my phone that will make it 100% guarenteed it will work for 911 EVERY SINGLETIME and im not leaving until they do something about it. I feel this is a legitimentrequest for a phone that has a problem like this.If ur looking at buying this phone, I STRONGLY recommend against it.

And for those of u who are wondering what all happenedwith the woman, im not entirely sure because while i was on the phone with the guy at 911 dispatch, i had 4 guys come up to me that appeared to be affiliated with theotherguy so i took off. I did see her walking around later tho so she seemed fine

17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Journeyman

by the way, on a side note.. when i go into sprint to request another phone, what phone would u suggest i request that is equal or better in value and features?

Highlighted
Journeyman

see if they have something in a rotory dialer? heard they're reliable....that's messed up man...Take an asswhoopin, just dont stand around and let someone beat a woman...phone be damned...

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've called 911 several times on my Instinct in the past year for traffic incidents. Never had a problem, except that sometime I would get patched into the wrong city's service (not the instinct's fault).

I sounds like there may be something you did on the phone before you dialed 911. I don't know what the steps are to get the message you saw on your phone, but your problem in this situation may stem from operator error.

Highlighted
Journeyman

goygacon - In most situations i would have done something, but this guy was easily twice my size and apparently very determined to get what he wanted. Not only that but he had one or two other guys on the front porch, plus the 4 that came up behind me (im guessing they were there because it was very obvious that i was on my phone watching this whole thing happen), and every single one of these people had the matching white t-shirt thing going on. With all that and me being the 6 foot 1 and 145 pound kid i am, i didnt think there was much i could do. The police here are awesome anyway. Im sure they had officers there within 2 or 3 minutes.

sweet greggo - Im not sure how u could have operator error in the simple steps of: Go to dialer, press 911, press green bar at top to call. I did the exact same thing the second time and it worked perfect then. Why not the first time? U really cant mess that up

Highlighted
Journeyman

I don't mean that I don't think you know how to dial 911, I mean that under the circumstances it's possible that you errored the first time through. If you're outside you won't be able to see the dull screen very well, plus I'm sure you were a bit shaken by what was going down right in front of you. In your haste coupled with hightened anxiety and trouble seeing the screen you may not have followed the correct steps to place your call. Of course, you may very well have performed everything correctly and something went wrong with the phone. The only way to know for sure is to find out the reason(s) that particular message popped up.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Wow, nice story...

If you actually dial 911 you will get the same 'disconnect' slider that you see when you plug your Instinct into a computer via the USB cable. That simple.

Highlighted

So far i have no problems calling 911
by mistake i call 911 and i did not known i call them
i found out when they called me back and so i was told to call another number and i explain that it was by mistake and they sent a police officer to check it out and i told officer the same thing
He sayed it had to be checked so to be on safe side
it happen when my instinct was in my pocket and it was locked

Highlighted
Journeyman

Phantez,

I think you did the right thing. In my state of Texas, they'll charge any guy with assault real quick just to get quick convictions and restitution money. I don't know where your from, but if you were in Texas and got into that domestic situation even if your intentions were good, I just know how the police and prosecutors are here. Its one of the reasons, I so want to move out of Texas. Anything with domestics and they institute their "zero tolerance" policy to any male. It happens all the time. So while its nice and chivalrous to come to a woman's defense, in the real world you just can't go charging in as the White Knight and play the hero. Nor can you defend yourself even when another party starts it.

Thats really screwed up that you can't honestly dial 911. Another thing on the Instinct that needs to be fixed. Unfreaking believeable. You know, I just am sorely tempted to pay the bucks and get an iPhone 3GS. I probably won't till my contract is up, but if they keep screwing Sprint customers over and over and over, reducing our services one by one, then it just might be worth all the money.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have owned the insticnt since it first came out, just recently got the s30. I have called 911 several times, always been instantly connected with no problems whatsoever.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@jogomez721 wrote:

Thats really screwed up that you can't honestly dial 911. Another thing on the Instinct that needs to be fixed. Unfreaking believeable. You know, I just am sorely tempted to pay the bucks and get an iPhone 3GS. I probably won't till my contract is up, but if they keep screwing Sprint customers over and over and over, reducing our services one by one, then it just might be worth all the money.

One person out of 100,00 that had problems dialing 9-1-1 ONE time doesn't mean it's a wide spread issue that needs to go on the list of things that "needs to be fixed." There is no telling what happened during his dialing attempt. No one else is reporting a problem so I don't see any reason to add it to the several valid complaints about the phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thats where I completely disagree with you. Anything built into the phone to prevent the immediate access to 911 emergency services is completely unacceptable. Obviously, the vast majority of folks understand that 911 is for emergency use only. Only a complete moron would abuse it. Therefore I see no reason whether its random or not, that such a restriction should be inplace. And no, its not a 1 in 100,000 case, because the very 1st time I tried using 911 on my phone, I encountered this. Besides, if it were to happen to you in a critical situation, and it ends up costing you your life or someone elses, wouldn't you or your family be piss at the person or persons who included that?

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat