cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My instinct phone failed to call 911

Highlighted
Journeyman

My instinct phone failed to call 911

**Just a little warning, im going to tell a little bit about what happened tonight to show how rediculous (and dangerous) this is, and if ur easily disturbed by violence (this isnt extremely violent) then u might want to consider not reading this post.

I've had a lot of problems with my instinct phone but this one definately crossed a line. I work as a bundle hauler for my local newspaper here and last night was pretty eventful. I was dropping a delivery off a delivery at a Cigarette Outlet in a not so good part of town when i heard some a man and woman across the street get in an arguement.They werestart screaming at each other so i started to watch over the situation while i was there. Shortly after this woman sprints off the deck trying to get away and this guy chases after her and tackles her on the sidewalk. At this point this guy startsphysically assultingheron the ground whileshes struggling to get away and screamingfor helpso i panic and call 911. I put the phone up to my ear and it doesnt start ringing, so i look at my phone again and i have some message that was flashing up in the middle of my screen every other second or so that said something along the lines of "911 Emergency is reserved for emergency situations only". I tried pressing buttons to clear it and redial but the screen was completely unresponsive to anything i did and it still wasnt ringing. After 10-15 seconds or so of fiddling with the stupid thing i had to pull the battery and reset the phone. So here i am waiting for my $#*&$ phone to start back up while this woman is getting dragged across the concrete on her back into this housescreaming for help. Finally the phone starts back up and try dialing 911 again and thankfully it worked as expected this time.

I am completely outraged from this. What if i needed to call 911 and i was in a situation where i couldntjust go reset the phone when it locked up like that? I would have been screwed! Im not going to sit here and have a phone that i dont feel confident i can rely on it to call 911 when i need it. Ill be going into my sprint store tomorrow and be demanding for a replacement phone unless they can do something with my phone that will make it 100% guarenteed it will work for 911 EVERY SINGLETIME and im not leaving until they do something about it. I feel this is a legitimentrequest for a phone that has a problem like this.If ur looking at buying this phone, I STRONGLY recommend against it.

And for those of u who are wondering what all happenedwith the woman, im not entirely sure because while i was on the phone with the guy at 911 dispatch, i had 4 guys come up to me that appeared to be affiliated with theotherguy so i took off. I did see her walking around later tho so she seemed fine

17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Journeyman

Why wouldn't you mention you had trouble dialing 911 in your previous post if it's that big of an issue? That doesn't make sense.

I searched the forum for "911" and the only report of a problem is in this thread, and my opinion on that instance is it may very well have been operator error.

My point is there are still several things that need to be addressed on this phone, issues that are consistent on every Instinct sold. Screaming about an issue ONE person had ONE time that is not able to be duplicated is making a mountain out of a mole hill and reduces the credibility of the valid complaints.

Highlighted
Journeyman

If the phone failed to dial 911 with regularity it would indeed be an issue, but that's not the case here.

Highlighted
Journeyman

So I guess if you work night shift at a convenience store in Fresno, Ca. that's like.. Russian Roulette?

Do you know many paramedics?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sorry, I didn't mean to make the op feel any less of a person for not distracting the situation, and putting the attention on himself...It's really a hard thing to do.

I've experienced situations such as described in my lifetime, and have thrown downon one occasionto distract the what was the stabbing, dragging, beating of a woman...to each his own in that circumstance, I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

You take what life throws at you and you react...who's to say your reaction was wrong, andagain, sorry if I implied just that...

Glad everything turned out ok...

Highlighted
Journeyman

@TechGnoll wrote:

So I guess if you work night shift at a convenience store in Fresno, Ca. that's like.. Russian Roulette?

Do you know many paramedics?

Do you know of any consumer product that can't possibly break or do something wrong? I'd rather concentrate on the many things this phone does wrong all of the time for all of the people using it instead of something one phone did wrong once for one person (unless maybe that person made a mistake...).

Now for something constructive, maybe someone should come up with a way to test 911 functionality on any device without getting arrested for it. It's an obvious need that seems to have been omitted from the design.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I think the issue is that the phone often freezes when you are about make a call.

This happens at least twice a week for me: I hold down power to unlock the phone, I quickly press the phone button and then the dialer. The speed dial screen swipes away, yet it just swipes to the same speed dial screen; and the phone is frozen. Usually if the call is not urgent I just put the phone back into my pocket because it will remedy itself within 10 minutes usually. If the call is urgent then i have to remove and reinsert the battery and turn the phone back on.

This is annoying as hell; but I can deal with this annoyance when calling the pizza guy. If I am trying to call back a potential employer then this freeze is very frustrating because the phone is preventing me from being punctual and professional when looking for a job.

Luckily I have not yet had to call 911 on this phone, but if this freeze was to happen in that situation then I would be livid and probably filling a law suit against sprint. When I complained at a sprint store about this, they told me I was pressing the buttons too quick and that I should be patient and give the phone a few seconds to fully load each page (main screen > speed dial > dialer). So I guess when you're witnessing a murder, just make sure to count to 3 mississippis between button presses to be safe.

Message Edited by oneMadRssn on 06-19-2009 09:04 AM

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat