cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My phone was stolen; called Sprint and deactivated it; now what?

Journeyman

My phone was stolen; called Sprint and deactivated it; now what?

Hi all,

Last night, my car was broken into and my Instinct was stolen. Unfortunately, I couldn't reach Customer Service until 6am this morning to have the phone deactivated. Now that I've done that, I still have a question:

When a stolen phone is deactivated, are the old texts, pictures, videos, navigation favorites, saved emails, addresses, phone numbers, music, and other downloads still accessible?

TheSprint customer service lady told me that the phone is now a brick and no one will be able to get to that sensitive information. Butisn't a lot of that stuff on the memory card? Are my pictures, videos, and music still easily accessible to someone via that memory card, even if the phone is deactivated? Couldn't they just take the memory card and stick it in another phone or card reader and access that data? What about favorite addresses in the navigation section? Or old emails or texts? What data is now safe from prying eyes, and what isn't?

Help please? Looking for peace of mind, but not sure I'm going to get it.

Thank you,

Sean

5 REPLIES 5
Journeyman

Re: My phone was stolen; called Sprint and deactivated it; now what?

Also, what data is saved onthe memory card and what data is saved elsewhere? Photos, videos, and music are on the memory card, no? Anything else?

What is safe and what is not?

Master

ALL your information is still on the phone. CSR was wrong! Sign on to youronline account and goto "Mobile Sync" and you can remove all your contacts from your phone but that's all you can do.

Journeyman

PM me and I'll make you an awesome deal on an HTC Mogul that is like new and comes with some extras. That way you won't get roped into renewing your contract.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ugh, I had no idea what Mobile Sync was; it was disabled when I logged in, and no contacts online. I think it's too late, now that my phone is deactivated. Is that correct?

I don't have peace of mind anymore. Sigh. Anyone else able to offer insight or suggestions of what I can or should do?

Journeyman

contacts, tXt messages, pictures received as pic mail, calendar events, and favorite and recent from sprint navigation are all saved on the phones main memory. the only things that go saved on to the memory card are pictures, music and videos. the only way all your information might have been protected is to have a password lock to access the phone. but your right they can just pop the memory card into a card reader and access your pics video and music. but at least sensitive information like contacts and stuff would have been in accessible. hope this answered some of your concerns. Oh btw your emails are also on the phones main memory. and sprint covers lost and stolen phones if you have the proper insurance on it. if you qualify for a replacement you wont have to renew your contract.

Message Edited by WestSiide on 05-17-2009 02:14 PM

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat