cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My roaming only option on my Blackberry 8330 disappeared after software upgrade, what do I do now?

Highlighted
Journeyman

My roaming only option on my Blackberry 8330 disappeared after software upgrade, what do I do now?

I just downloaded the new blackberry 8330 software upgrade from 4.3 to 4.5. After downloading, the roam only option disappeared and now I can't use my phone in my building at work. What can I do? I am still on my 30 day trial with sprint. Do I need to go back to verizon?

16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: My roaming only option on my Blackberry 8330 disappeared after software upgrade, what do I do no

Your not alone, they took the roam only option away from the Instinct too

Highlighted
Wizard

Re: My roaming only option on my Blackberry 8330 disappeared after software upgrade, what do I do no

<blockquote><hr>djbrandt75 wrote:<br>I just downloaded the new blackberry 8330 software upgrade from 4.3 to 4.5. After downloading, the roam only option disappeared and now I can't use my phone in my building at work. What can I do? I am still on my 30 day trial with sprint. Do I need to go back to verizon?<hr></blockquote><p></p><p>Probably head over to the Blackberry forum and tell them about it. :)</p>

Highlighted
Journeyman

this happened in good timing for you, ordinarilly I would...

this happened in good timing for you, ordinarilly I would never recommend Verizon or AT&amp;T but if youre within your 30 day trial period and the roaming only is the only way to get service.....get out while the getting is good! btw...if a sales accociate trys to sway you into staying, quoting "this is only temporary" or otherwise just tell them you know better and leave because Sprint seems to be including this into all their phones software

Highlighted
Journeyman

Get an Instinct

Get an Instinct

Highlighted

are you sure instinct had roaming only option? maybe they have a good reason to remove roaming only option?

Message Edited by Vorless DarkChaos on 02-09-2009 04:45 PM

Highlighted
Journeyman

instinct does not have roaming only option, only auto and...

instinct does not have roaming only option, only auto and sprint only which will not switch to roam until there is absolutely no sprint signal. sprint will remain default even if the signal is so faint that it is totally unusable thus the problem here.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Several months ago I had an in-depth conversation with a high-level tech support person about this very issue. Sprint is in the process of systematically removing ALL roam-only options from all of its phones. The Instinct just happened to be the first new phone to have this option removed. The rationale is that since Roaming is now unlimited and free for Everything plans, customers w/o access to a Sprint tower from day to day will constantly be roaming, thus incurring large charges that Sprint must pay to other carriers. The days of Roam-Only are over, at least for Sprint.

Highlighted
Wizard

that just makes sense. Why would any company give you an option to not be on their network all the time? And therefore pay extra to other carriers to have you as a customer. It is good that they offer the option to use another network when you need it, I hope they never take that away, but obviously using their network should be the phones first choice. Get another carrier/network if you don't get service. Or an Airrave.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The other side of the question is why someone would want to force roaming. I assume that happens because there are locations where there is enough Sprint signal to keep the phone from roaming to a different carrier but not enough to actually work. Is that true, and if so, what is the user supposed to do now?

Highlighted
Journeyman

@mmark27 wrote:
that just makes sense. Why would any company give you an option to not be on their network all the time? And therefore pay extra to other carriers to have you as a customer. It is good that they offer the option to use another network when you need it, I hope they never take that away, but obviously using their network should be the phones first choice. Get another carrier/network if you don't get service. Or an Airrave.

I think all carriers have to provide roaming, but don't quote me on that.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@lesmikesell wrote:
The other side of the question is why someone would want to force roaming. I assume that happens because there are locations where there is enough Sprint signal to keep the phone from roaming to a different carrier but not enough to actually work. Is that true, and if so, what is the user supposed to do now?

This is my situation at work. I have to stand by my window in my office just to get a signal, and even then the call will be dropped most of the time.

As far as what we're supposed to do now? I don't know, I guess Sprint is helping me make that decision. I'm not going to pay $180/mo for a service I can't use 9 hours out of the day.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat