cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navigation Downgrade Process - restore from .23 to .21

Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

Navigation Downgrade Process - restore from .23 to .21

For the people that had the flawed version .23 navigation update, we are working on resetting the distribution servers to push version .21 back to your handsets.  

How does this work?

a) app client checks with app server to see if a newer version is available, by comparing the version number (2.1.0.21 VS 2.1.0.23)
b) once confirmed, the app client sends a request to the server to confirm if a binary is available.
c) once confirmed, show the upgrade prompt on screen.

d) when the user accepts the upgrade prompt, download and install the new client.

Does anyone see the problem?  .23 will always trump .21 we may have to create a .24 release consisting of the .21 code, or modify step (a) to say .23 is invalid, push .21.

There will be quite a bit of work going on throughout the day.  Once we have solid information I will post in this thread. 

Message Edited by wengla02 on 09-12-2008 08:40 AM
Message Edited by wengla02 on 09-12-2008 08:58 AM

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Journeyman
Journeyman

Can we refuse to downgrade? My Instinct did freeze once the first time for 6 seconds but after worked fine with Traffic working, GPS is accurate (of course it will be 40 yards off but this is normal because only a military GPS will show an accurate address for security reason), and it prompts to finish the Navigation session when the back arrow is pressed twice. The re-route is faster. I had my phone since July 2 and did not change any setting like NSpeed but just downloaded the few upgrades that were released. So to me so far this upgrade is positive and did not introduce the bugs like many describe. I can not explain why some phones will crash and others behave fine. Were the quality release criteria from Samsung too low causing many bad phones to be on the market?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just a suggestion...

Maybe instead of working fevershly to get the downgrade to work, just put all resources into fixing the problem? It's not like it completely shuts down the phone. The people with .23 I'm sure have learned that they can hit the back arrow to cancel out of the program with no issue. We can live with that until a (timely) fix comes.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Forgot to mention... Please do not forget about the reports of the gps showing us several blocks from our actual location. This only happens to me when I am in my office building. When I'm outside, it's fairly accurate.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I would also like to not downgrade since I have not even once experienced this bug. I understand the frustration by those getting it, but the workaround seems quite acceptable while a fix is made for it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@sweet greggo wrote:

Just a suggestion...

Maybe instead of working fevershly to get the downgrade to work, just put all resources into fixing the problem?

I agree. I rather see the work that should have been done in the first place be done now.

Sprint Product Ambassador

sweet greggo wrote:
Forgot to mention... Please do not forget about the reports of the gps showing us several blocks from our actual location. This only happens to me when I am in my office building. When I'm outside, it's fairly accurate.

GPS does not work well indoors.  It requires a clear view of the southern sky to pick up the satellites.  It may be using tower-based location, where it gives you a rought approximation of your location based on triangulation off of the cell towers. 

This cannot be corrected - it's simply how GPS works.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Highlighted
Journeyman

is that true what nt1 said about the military gps being the only accurate gps for security reasons? just a random question to the response above.

Highlighted
Journeyman
Journeyman

I learned this from a friend who works for a GPS manufacturer. The Army will have a few inches accuracy while public GPS manufacturers have to introduce a voluntary correction for security purpose to make it false. Google Map Photo will not show the right home typing your address. My TOM TOM is false. The error is different from a manufacturer to another. So do not expect Telenav to be perfectly accurate. Some people reported several miles error after the update 2.1.0.23 and this can not be explained by this voluntary error. It was a wrong calculation by the software from a bad triangulation.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@wengla02 wrote:

@sweet greggo wrote:

GPS does not work well indoors. It requires a clear view of the southern sky to pick up the satellites. It may be using tower-based location, where it gives you a rought approximation of your location based on triangulation off of the cell towers.

This cannot be corrected - it's simply how GPS works.

Okay, thanks.

Highlighted
Journeyman

This is off-topic, but the intentional error that used to be added to the public GPS signals is known as selective availability, but it hasn't been used for years (the error has been set to zero). See the Wikipedia article for more details:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gps#Selective_availability

Message Edited by JeepJay on 09-12-2008 12:00 PM

Highlighted
Journeyman

SA is a technique to reduce the accuracy of unaugmented, single-receiver GPS measurements. This is accomplished by altering (or "dithering") the GPS satellite clock signals, and by modifying orbital elements of the broadcast navigation message. These alterations are done in a coded fashion, and could be removed by authorized users. This alteration causes horizontal positional errors on the order of 100 meters (95%), and varies in a manner that prevents rapid averaging of positional data. SA was implemented on March 25, 1990 on all GPS Block II satellites. The level of SA is adjustable. SA was set to zero in September 1990 in support of Operation Desert Storm, and was returned to standard level on July 1, 1991. With minor exceptions, SA has been in place since these dates. I do not know what it is today.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat