cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Instinct M800 "update" - adds ADVERTISING to your telephone.

Journeyman

New Instinct M800 "update" - adds ADVERTISING to your telephone.

Wow. I can't begin to describe how upset I am in PG terms over this new data "update" that was released earlier this week for the Instinct M800. When the download was complete, I nearly threw my phone when I saw that Sprint added ADVERTISING to the top of each News & Sports pages (1st entry on each page is a graphic promotion for downloadable games). To me, this is like HBO adding commercials to their movies.

Sprint doesn't bother giving you any details about their updates when you're prompted to download them. Once you've downloaded them, you're not given any details about what was changed on your telephone. And once the download has been applied, there's no way to downgrade or remove the update. What a crock of crap!

I've been with Sprint for 10+ years, but all of the issues I've had with my pair of Instincts might just be the nail in the coffin that makes me want to give up and switch carriers.

25 REPLIES 25
Journeyman

Re: New Instinct M800 "update" - adds ADVERTISING to your telephone.

Yeah, that update is pretty *bleep* aggravating. Sprint, your Instinct customers pay a minimum of $70 per month for service, we've dealt with slow improvements to the phone over the past ten months and we've dealt with the ridicule from iPhone-having friends. And now you haven't squeezed enough money out of us so you are putting banner ads on the built-in apps? Guess I'll start getting weather and sports scores via Opera Mini>SI.com/Weather.com instead. Ridiculous.

Why do you think sprint added Ads?
Pocket Express is a Handmark product and not a sprint product

Journeyman

I'm very angry about this "update" as well. We are paying a lot of money for the data service and plan. We do not need to deal with advertising on top of this. If Sprint knew about this before the update was released, they needed to tell us. If they didn't, then Handmark has a lot of explaining to do.

I have an email to my Sprint Customer Service rep contact and we'll see what he has to say about this.

Journeyman

<< Why do you think sprint added Ads? Pocket Express is a Handmark product and not a sprint product >>

Regardless of who they have hired to help them out - it's Sprint's product with Sprint's name on it and Sprint is the one I pay for service. I find it extremely hard to believe that Sprint would allow any subcontractor to alter their programmingwithout advanced knowledge and approval.

Master

@Vorless DarkChaos wrote:
Why do you think sprint added Ads?
Pocket Express is a Handmark product and not a sprint product

Who cares who is responsible for adding the adds, The point is when we contact handmark, Telenav or any app provider they tell us to contact sprint. So we are posting or dissapointment on a sprint owned forum.

You don't mind. Fine. But to us it is a big deal. When they do change something that is important to you, Just hope there aresome of us left to help you fight the battle.

What if they added adds to the voice service before you can place a call, Would that upset you? Wouldn't you want others to rally behind you to help get it resolved?

Journeyman

Wait, in lou of MR6 and in lou of correcting any of the problems that really matter (lack of screen lock on calls) Sprint is pushing out a bogus update that does absolutely nothing but adds advertisement to our phones?! Are they on crack?! What kind of assinine business decision is this?! Perhaps if Sprint keeps running its business like this, we can expect to see them begging for bailout money too at some point, haha.

Journeyman

I couldn't believe this when the "update" completed on my phone. An update whose sole purpose is to add advertisements? Seriously? Sprint, once again, you fail.

Journeyman

How many new seperate threads are gonna be started about this. Who cares. It is a small banner and it is from Sprint. If you look at the banner loading it has the sprint background prior to it loading. Please quit wasting space and go back to the original post about this is you want to whine more about it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I know you guys or upset but every phone that has pocket express on it has advertising. I have the same software on my iPhone and it has always had ads on it. I wassurprised it wasn't on the instinct in the beginning.

Patron

People here surprised? After all it IS Sprint's logic! "They don't need the Music Player Update. they need banners that sell better music players for only $29 a month!"

Yeah right. Smiley Tongue

Journeyman

<< I know you guys or upset but every phone that has pocket express on it has advertising. I have the same software on my iPhone and it has always had ads on it. I wassurprised it wasn't on the instinct in the beginning. >>

If the advertising had been on the telephone when I bought it I would be significantly less upset. Sprint is setting some relatively dangerous precedents in the field of computerized telephones by repeatedly altering the programming content in a negative manner (eg: taking away most of the free TV channels, etc.) after people have made their purchases. When people buy these telephones they expect UPGRADES, not DOWNGRADES.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat