Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No PAM - Phone as Modem

Highlighted
Journeyman

No PAM - Phone as Modem

Instinct does not allow you to use it as a modem in case you want to tether your laptop while on a trip. No way to disable the secondary modem NAI. For all that we pay for "Unlimited Data Access", we should be able to use it as a modem occasionally.

Tags (2)
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Wizard

Re: No PAM - Phone as Modem

Actually, if you look at the fine print in dark gray on black at the bottom of the page, you will see "Services are not available for use as a modem" for the Simply Everything Plans... http://www.sprint.com/everything

Click for full size image

It's not just the Instinct that has one of it's built-in features forbidden, it appears to be any handset on a simply everything plan.

Message Edited by Tomas on 06-21-2008 02:44 PM

Highlighted
Journeyman

You cannot get to the hidden menu from Settings > Disp...

You cannot get to the hidden menu from Settings > Display in order to see if there is a NAI setting. No way to enter 0 to see hidden menu. Some people taking Instinct back because of this & other problems. Check out sprintusers.com and howardforums.com

Highlighted
Journeyman

I was going to buy iPhone 3G but it doesn't have Phone As...

I was going to buy iPhone 3G but it doesn't have Phone As a Modem. So I bought 2 Sprint Instinct phones yesterday with $129.99 family share plan. I only used my old phone maybe once or twice as a modem when broadband was down (I don't download music/movies anyways). But today when I tried to use Bluetooth on Sprint Instinct as a modem, it connected but then gave an error. So looks like Phone As a Modem is disabled. If After paying $129.99 + Tax to sprint, I can't use Phone as a modem occasionally (when broadband is down), there is no need to keep Instinct over iPhone. I am going to buy iPhone 3G as soon as they are released and return Sprint Instinct's under 30-day return policy! Anyone else feel the same way?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I meant $129.99 PER MONTH plan and still no included Phon...

I meant $129.99 PER MONTH plan and still no included Phone as a Modem! There is no reason to keep Instinct if this option is not allowed for an occasional user like me.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: I was going to buy iPhone 3G but it doesn't have Phone As...

Im doing the same ,except I'm returning mine tomorrow,, I was not to happy with its features, I'll save my money and just wait for the iphone

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have a backup A900 that I can use for PAM. I have the s...

I have a backup A900 that I can use for PAM. I have the share plan.

Highlighted
Journeyman

u so can use it has phone has modem the firmware needs to...

u so can use it has phone has modem the firmware needs to be twkked a little

(editor: removed personal info)

http://instinctbookmarks.blogspot.com/2008/07/does-sprint-instinct-support-phone-as.html 

Message Edited by wengla02 on 07-15-2008 09:14 AM

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: YES there is PAM - Phone as Modem

• Phone as Modem: NAI can be disabled with the following steps, allowing PAM on an unlimited data plan:
  • At the dial screen enter this code ##debugmenu# for the main debug menu, then your MSL
  • Select "Toggle Modem NAI"
  • Select the Off option.
  • Your phone is now ready for PAM use!

To get your MSL number, just dial *2 and go to the tech support option "all other problems" and tell the operator you need the MSL number for this phone. Each phone has a unique MSL number. Some operators will give you the number, and some won't. If they are being nuts about it, just hang up and call again to get a different tech support person. Most will happily give you the number so you can do all the wonderful reprogamming things to your phone. Google it.

Message Edited by Alchemist on 09-01-2008 01:09 AM

Journeyman

Re: YES there is PAM - Phone as Modem

Can this be used with usb? Or just bluetooth?

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat