cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Wifi on the instinct?

Journeyman

No Wifi on the instinct?

There is no wifi on the instinct? If thats true there's no way im buying it. What are they thinking?

Tags (1)
12 REPLIES

Re: No Wifi on the instinct?

why need Wifi?

You will be connecting to internet on EV-DO Rev. A network

Journeyman

Wifi is much faster thanthat. Its a huge oversight that likely will keep me from buying it. You notice the new 3G iphone has wifi as well as 3g.

Journeyman

Yeah, this is a show stopper for me as well.

I use my current phone to access e-mail and internal only apps and websites via WiFi with my phone.

Evdo in the basement of my building is almost zero so, yeah I *have to* have wifi. ( sigh )

So much for an iPhone killer..... ;-)

Scott

Journeyman

The major CDMA carriers, Sprint, Verizon, and Alltel (which is now Verizon), rarely put WiFi in their handsets. The reason being is that they have 3G/EVDO available in the majority of their native network, unlike their GSM counterparts (AT&T and T-Mobile). AT&T and T-Mobile rely more heavily on WiFi to provide high-speed since they don't have the coverage of the others. This is why you see devices like the iPhone, Blackberries, and more WM devices with WiFi on GSM; however, when they move over to CDMA, they often lose those features (like the CDMA Curve, Instinct, Glyde all lost WiFi).

- VDubb

Highlighted

VDubb wrote:

The major CDMA carriers, Sprint, Verizon, and Alltel (which is now Verizon), rarely put WiFi in their handsets. The reason being is that they have 3G/EVDO available in the majority of their native network, unlike their GSM counterparts (AT&T and T-Mobile). AT&T and T-Mobile rely more heavily on WiFi to provide high-speed since they don't have the coverage of the others. This is why you see devices like the iPhone, Blackberries, and more WM devices with WiFi on GSM; however, when they move over to CDMA, they often lose those features (like the CDMA Curve, Instinct, Glyde all lost WiFi).

- VDubb

VDubb, while I'm sure many understand the reasoning for the lack of WiFi on CDMA handsets, it still doesn't excuse it. Even with EVDO rev A, data speeds are far slower than what can beachievedwith a WiFi connection. As such, if Sprint wanted to really make the Instinct stand out, it should have done any of the following:
1. Installed a dedicated PTT button on the side (aka NEXTEL-IZE it!)
2. Add WiFi (or even WiMAX) capability to the Instinct.
3. Have the Instinct equipped with an 8GB SD (or micro or mini...which ever one works) card, since the cheapest iPhone will have 8GB of hard drive space available.
Sadly, the only thing the Instinct is going to prove for Sprint is how much money was wasted on R&D when all they had to do is take an Apple product, and think about what Apple will do to improve it, and then use THAT point as the starting point. The Instinct should have been 4G from the start...not merely 3G. Pathetic...just like everything else Sprint does.
Which reminds me... The Airave will ONLY deliver 1xrtt data speeds...no bonus EVDO speeds, folks! LOL. Nice product. It's like saying "Hey, here's a Viper body, and the engine's been tuned to sound great, but it only delivers 100bhp now, instead of the 500bhp it comes with stock." LOL.

Journeyman

Ya very good points. I'm thinking Verizon will be the way to go especially with the Alltell thing, i am thinking they will have much better coverage than they even do now. And they have coverage out in the boonies where sprint doesn't evem roam. I have till January to decide because that is my expiration date. Lets go Sprint. Show something here. Anyways i had nextel for 8 years and have had sprint for about 17 months.

Makes you long for the good ol' Nextel days eh?

Journeyman

Yes, it's good have Wifi on cell phone, If Instinct doesn't have means NO GOOD.

Reasons for having wifi:

- In wifi-hotspot you can still browse & check e-mails without having the incoming calls go to voice mail

- Browsing with wifi would be much faster

- When I'm at work or home can do quick browse without having to connect to sprint internet

Major advantage would be to browse without having to loose incoming calls.

Journeyman

sprint1999 wrote:

Yes, it's good have Wifi on cell phone, If Instinct doesn't have means NO GOOD.

Reasons for having wifi:

- In wifi-hotspot you can still browse & check e-mails without having the incoming calls go to voice mail

I don't have that issue now ( PPC6700 ) so, not sure if it would be an issue for the "Instinct" as well.

It's just drops down to 1x during the call and when the call is done, goes back up to EV.

- Browsing with wifi would be much faster

True.

- When I'm at work or home can do quick browse without having to connect to sprint internet

True although unless a poor signal area not a big issue. Low signal is my main issue but also use WIFI for accessing sites on my Intranet that are not publicly available.If they had a Cisco client on it like the iPhone, would take care of the Intranet issue but the low signal areas would still remain. We have building-wide WIFI.

Major advantage would be to browse without having to loose incoming calls.

Again, don't have that issue now so, maybe one of those YMMV things... ;-)

( Your Mileage May Vary )

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.