cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ok, I appreciate having a Java keyboard now, but.....

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ok, I appreciate having a Java keyboard now, but.....

....can't someone redesign the keyboard layout a little better?? Sometimes I want to throw the freakin' phone through a window when I'm texting.. I love it when I try to hit the 'a' key, and a whole comedy of errors ensues... I end up hitting the caps key, then when I try to get it out of caps, I change the keyboard, then get I back to the QWERTY keyboard, but I'm still in caps, etc... And I still haven't successfully executed a lower case 'a' yet! ('z'? Sure... 's'? Constantly... 'a'? Well that's a problem..)

Same thing with the backspace/hide keyboard/screen orientation keys... Why on Earth do we need to hide the keyboard, anyway?? Can't they put the arrow keys on one of the alternate keyboards?? The should put the backspace key in th upper right corner of the screen, BY ITSELF, and put the "DONE" button in the opposite corner... Also, BY ITSELF.

And speaking of the screen orientation button... How many times has anyone up and decided to change screen orientation in the middle of a text/e-mail?? I have never ONCE thought: "Hmmm... I think I'll do the next sentence in portrait mode... then I'll do a little handwriting... Then I'll finish up in QWERTY" I think that's a preference you should set once, and leave it alone... And does anybody really USE handwriting mode?? I thought it was kinda cool for about two and a half minutes when I first got the phone... Haven't touched it since...

It seems like I spend more time backspacing, and correcting accidental triggers than I do texting... I almost feel like I was faster when I was repeatedly jamming 2-2-2, 5-5-5, 3-3, etc...

I noticed on the iPhone, the keys all have a bit of space surrounding them... I know the display on the iPhone is bigger, but I'd gladly sacrifice a bit of the text display for more keyboard space... Am I the only one who's frustrated by this? Is someone working on it?? Please tell me someone is!

Oh, and while I'm at it... I know someone mentioned this in another thread, but I'd like to second the motion... How about letting us lock the screen during a call? When I'm using my Bluetooth, and I put my phone in my pocket, I end up putting myself on mute, cancelling Bluetooth mode, etc... If I have to carry my phone in my hand when I'm using the headset, I might as well just hold the phone up to my ear...

Thus ends my rant for the day...

Message Edited by Mossman on 11-28-2008 10:52 PM

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Ok, I appreciate having a Java keyboard now, but.....

I agree that the keyboard, while much appreciated that it FINALLY came (should have been on the phone since day one) I think its implementation is thoughtless.

Why do we need to see the preview screen that shows the crosspad? What of use is that? And there are two "OK" buttons with different functions??? Seriously? We should be able to call up the crosspad when using any other J2ME application that isnt written for touch screens (one of the side buttons would do) - wasnt that the whole point of this so that we can run java apps?

So when using an application like Opera Mini, entering text should take you straight to the keyoard - not the useless crosskey pad! Talk about more key pushes.

The instinct is a human interface nightmare.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Slightly differing opinion....

I do agree that the backspace key is not in the greatest of locations, as I too sometimes hit the hide keyboard button instead. Not a huge issue for me, just an occasional annoyance. As far as the "a" is concerned, I use it frequently without the problems you note...and I have fairly large hands. Perhaps it could do with a screen calibration or perhaps use of the stylus.

Regarding the handwriting mode of text input. I use it about a third of the time I'm using the phone. Yes, I'm one who uses all three text input options. I tend to use the qwerty when browsing or entering long messages while sitting at a desk. I switch it to portrait when getting up to move or when I just dont want to switch back and forth with it. I find that the handwriting interface works quite well when I'm walking as I don't have to strike individual letters and it does a pretty good job of dicyphering my chicken scratch. No, I don't switch input modes "around-the-horn" while in a particular message, but I do change them frequently and would not like to have to go out to settings just to swich because I stood up and took a walk.

Agreed - locking the screen in-call = GOOD THING.

Now, as far as the crosspad is concerned, I've not read the LCDUI specifications, so I don't know how much liberty they had once they finally got around to implementing it. But, it needs to be concidered that the crosspad functionality invoking the keyboard may be a mandatory part of the spec - dunno...just a thought. I too think it would be cool to invoke both the crosspad functions and the keyboard from side buttons and REALLY wish there was a way to invoke them when they DON'T show up and I need them, but again...I don't know what's hidden in the specs. Sorry, but I just never saw that pressing the T button next to the crosspad was that big of a deal...I mean, you're talking about using a side button for it, what's the difference??? When in landscape mode in opera and qwerty mode on the keyboard, it's just a quick click on the right side and then to the keyboard.

Highlighted
Journeyman

A general comment here... Almost everything I'm seeing from Sprint in the way of updates for the Instinct has to do with fixing known issues or problems, while there is almost nothing in the way of true enhancements or redesigns. So if there is a known bug affecting the original feature set, it may well be fixed in an update, but it isn't likely Sprint is ever going to give us a new keyboard with improved functionality.

Focusing just on the keyboard for a moment, one idea I have suggested is to create a keyboard settings function within Main/Settings, so that you could place toggle settings like screen orientation and autocorrect there. Doing so would eliminate the need for that ridiculously huge keyboard orientation button.

While Sprint deserves my thanks for working hard to correct problems with the Instinct, I've lost hope that they will do anything to actually *improve* it. Sprint's attitude suggests that the keyboard works as is, warts and all, so they have met the consumers' needs. We finally get a Java keyboard (hooray!), but its implementation is clumsy (sigh). Boring, boring, boring. It's not a question of whether someone can redesign the keyboard layout, because we all know the answer is yes. Sprint is losing the war for our hearts and minds because they do little if anything to delight or impress us...nothing emotionally appealing ever comes in the updates. No "oh cool!" or "wow"...just necessary fixes and tweaks. The Instinct remains rich in advertised features but poor in emotional appeal. The iphone is from Athens and the Instinct is from Sparta.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Slightly differing opinion....

@GusF wrote:

I do agree that the backspace key is not in the greatest of locations, as I too sometimes hit the hide keyboard button instead. Not a huge issue for me, just an occasional annoyance. As far as the "a" is concerned, I use it frequently without the problems you note...and I have fairly large hands. Perhaps it could do with a screen calibration or perhaps use of the stylus.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I was just using the 'a' key as an example... I could have easily mentioned the "Done" key as well... I constantly hit that thing, (or the return key) when I'm going for a period, comma, or apostrophe... Or hitting the 'f' or 't' key when going for the 'r'... The point is; I wish there was a little space between the keys, and everything wasn't so close together... I think I could live with the keys and text display being a little smaller, if it meant I wouldn't be hitting so many wrong keys.. repeatedly.

And I hate using the stylus to type.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

drdrr wrote:

A general comment here... Almost everything I'm seeing from Sprint in the way of updates for the Instinct has to do with fixing known issues or problems, while there is almost nothing in the way of true enhancements or redesigns. So if there is a known bug affecting the original feature set, it may well be fixed in an update, but it isn't likely Sprint is ever going to give us a new keyboard with improved functionality.

Focusing just on the keyboard for a moment, one idea I have suggested is to create a keyboard settings function within Main/Settings, so that you could place toggle settings like screen orientation and autocorrect there. Doing so would eliminate the need for that ridiculously huge keyboard orientation button.

While Sprint deserves my thanks for working hard to correct problems with the Instinct, I've lost hope that they will do anything to actually <span class="j2">improve</span> it. Sprint's attitude suggests that the keyboard works as is, warts and all, so they have met the consumers' needs. We finally get a Java keyboard (hooray!), but its implementation is clumsy (sigh). Boring, boring, boring. It's not a question of whether someone can redesign the keyboard layout, because we all know the answer is yes. Sprint is losing the war for our hearts and minds because they do little if anything to delight or impress us...

I thought there would be upgrades in design and interface as well... Every time I get a software upgrade, I get my hopes up, thinking that there will be significant improvements in the feel and functionality of the phone... But I'm always disappointed. With the exception of the Java keyboard, all the upgrades seem to be minor tweaks that I wouldn't even notice if it weren't for the info I glean from these forums... And sometimes, I still don't notice an improvement... I'm totally jazzed about the Java keyboard, especially being able to use Opera, but that should have been there all along... There are a lot of meaningful changes they could realistically implement on this phone... Is anybody actually listening to us? Or do they think they've got our money now, so they don't have to worry about appeasing us anymore?

I was originally going to get an iPhone, myself, but I didn't want to have to pay the $200 fine for breaking my contract with Sprint, or the exorbitant monthly rate that AT&T charges for their sub-standard service.. (I only pay $79 per month with the Instinct, and I've never had any problems with the quality of Sprint service..) I did my research before buying the Instinct, and from what I could observe in the way of differences, it seemed to be a trade-off of features. The iPhone didn't seem to be that much better, and there are features on the Instinct that appeal to me, which iPhone just doesn't have... I didn't buy the hype that the Instinct was an iPhone killer, but I was certain that the Instinct would be improved in the areas where it was lacking, through software upgrades... Four months later, the phone doesn't seem to have gotten that much better...

On top of it all, Sprint seems to penalize it's customers if they upgrade their phones less than 18 months into their contract... I didn't get all the great rebates and discounts that everyone else seems to have gotten... I just got $75 off because I had been a Sprint customer for only 14 months! What #@!* difference does it make how long I've been a Sprint customer?? If I were a brand new customer, I would have gotten all the discounts! Now my contract has started all over again... Does that mean I have to wait another 18 months to buy a new phone without getting raped on the price??

Come on, Sprint... Time to live up to the hype... The next time, I won't hesitate to end my contract...

Message Edited by Mossman on 11-29-2008 03:20 PM
Message Edited by Mossman on 11-29-2008 03:21 PM
Message Edited by Mossman on 11-29-2008 03:22 PM

Highlighted
Journeyman

@spl1011 wrote:

I agree that the keyboard, while much appreciated that it FINALLY came (should have been on the phone since day one) I think its implementation is thoughtless.

Why do we need to see the preview screen that shows the crosspad? What of use is that? And there are two "OK" buttons with different functions??? Seriously? We should be able to call up the crosspad when using any other J2ME application that isnt written for touch screens (one of the side buttons would do) - wasnt that the whole point of this so that we can run java apps?

So when using an application like Opera Mini, entering text should take you straight to the keyoard - not the useless crosskey pad! Talk about more key pushes.

The instinct is a human interface nightmare.

It's simple. The same thought that went into the entire phone, went into the keyboard fix. There was absolutely no thought to functionality on the entire phone. Apparently the people that designed this phone don't even use cell phones!

Highlighted
Journeyman

i agree.. make the buttons more bubbly, relocate backspace, STOP the 200 limit cap on messages using MR4 keyboard, t9,figure out why its deleting parts of messages after you preview and edit messages.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well I know I have a hard time with it, when i don't have...

Well I know I have a hard time with it, when i don't have my stylus in hand Ya see I have FAT fingers and I sometimes press to darn hard anyone else have that issue I mean the pressing to hard... not the FAT fingers..WINK WINK GRIN .

Highlighted
Journeyman

@Mossman wrote:

... I think I could live with the keys and text display being a little smaller, if it meant I wouldn't be hitting so many wrong keys.. repeatedly.

And I hate using the stylus to type.

... Is anybody actually listening to us? Or do they think they've got our money now, so they don't have to worry about appeasing us anymore?

... Four months later, the phone doesn't seem to have gotten that much better...

Hi, i agree with you on your comment about making the buttons smaller in size, adding some space in between them. Not sure it is possible to change the text size...since font size seems to be the same size on all screens, suggesting it is locked somehow.
The stylus is nice sometimes for games like chess, but i can't deal with one handed texting/input...so for me the stylus is out.
I do think Sprint is listening to any feedback from us which is "bug report" oriented...they seem genuinely intent on fixing most if not all bugs which relate to the Instinct's original feature set. But they are tone deaf when it comes to suggestions for enhancements and improvements. Sprint doesn't get it! ...they are working off an old business model that says "give them exactly what we told them they would get, nothing more, nothing less." It's not that Sprint is doing anything really wrong, and again let me say that I appreciate all the effort going into the updates, however customer loyalty in the smartphone market goes to the providers who are committed to taking their products beyond the original implementation through updates and enhancements.
Once Sprint has maxed out on fixing bugs and known issues, I think they will for the most part leave the Instinct alone as is. I'm sure they are convinced that new devices down the road will attract our attention, making the perceived need for enhancements to Instinct "overcome by events."
For me, the difference is next time I'm not going to expect improvements and enhancements for a device from Sprint. Next time I am in the market for a new device for a "smart phone" I am going straight to the one I think I will enjoy using the most, and I will look for a service provider/manufacturer that is committed to either improving the feel and functionality of using the device, or one that will allow third party developers the capability to do so.

Message Edited by drdrr on 11-29-2008 07:41 PM

Highlighted
Journeyman

@drdrr wrote:

Hi, i agree with you on your comment about making the buttons smaller in size, adding some space in between them. Not sure it is possible to change the text size...since font size seems to be the same size on all screens, suggesting it is locked somehow.
The stylus is nice sometimes for games like chess, but i can't deal with one handed texting/input...so for me the stylus is out.
I do think Sprint is listening to any feedback from us which is "bug report" oriented...they seem genuinely intent on fixing most if not all bugs which relate to the Instinct's original feature set. But they are tone deaf when it comes to suggestions for enhancements and improvements. Sprint doesn't get it! ...they are working off an old business model that says "give them exactly what we told them they would get, nothing more, nothing less." It's not that Sprint is doing anything really wrong, and again let me say that I appreciate all the effort going into the updates, however customer loyalty in the smartphone market goes to the providers who are committed to taking their products beyond the original implementation through updates and enhancements.
Once Sprint has maxed out on fixing bugs and known issues, I think they will for the most part leave the Instinct alone as is. I'm sure they are convinced that new devices down the road will attract our attention, making the perceived need for enhancements to Instinct "overcome by events."
For me, the difference is next time I'm not going to expect improvements and enhancements for a device from Sprint. Next time I am in the market for a new device for a "smart phone" I am going straight to the one I think I will enjoy using the most, and I will look for a service provider/manufacturer that is committed to either improving the feel and functionality of using the device, or one that will allow third party developers the capability to do so.

Message Edited by drdrr on 11-29-2008 07:41 PM

I wasn't thinking of changing the size of the text... I was thinking of only having a single-line display, instead of two lines.. I don't think that would bother me too much... It would free up some vertical space to expand the keyboard a bit.

I would have to agree with you about the level of commitment that Sprint is going to invest into making the phone as "user friendly" as it can be... I don't want to agree, but to be realistic, I can imagine that once the critical problems are fixed, they'll just wipe their brows, breath a sigh of relief, and put it all behind them to move on to the next product... The problem is; whatever that new product is that they're convinced will catch our attention, won't do me much good... Not if they continue their policy of price-gouging existing customers who haven't fulfilled three quarters of their contract yet.

Basically, what Sprint is saying to me is; unless I'm either a brand new customer, or close to renewing my contract, I have to take it in the shorts if I want to buy a better phone from them! Which doesn't make any sense to me... They already got 14 months out of me, and now they've got me for another 2 years, on a more expensive plan... Did they really need to soak me for the phone??

So, ostensibly, I'm stuck with the Instinct.. If Sprint came out with the real iPhone killer tomorrow, I'd have to shell out another small fortune to get it... Doesn't exactly engender a whole lot of customer loyalty in me..

Highlighted
Journeyman

I think the keyboard interface is ugly, but I am so grate...

I think the keyboard interface is ugly, but I am so grateful to have it. I wish we had more color schemes. THANK YOU Sprint. It's what we have been complaining about. Let's be grateful.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: I think the keyboard interface is ugly, but I am so grate...

I agree Mrs. Stark, and being a SW designer, developer, andtestercurrently in my career, I can really appreciate the effort this took...

... but I cant help to feel like we got a bandaid instead ofproper stitches for a majorgash in thisphone. Oh, and they are billing us for stitches 😛

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat