cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opera Mini 5.0 Beta

Journeyman

Opera Mini 5.0 Beta

I've discovered that Opera is working on its next version of its Mini browser, 5.0. Currently it is in beta form.

http://www.opera.com/mini/next/

I have not downloaded it yet, however I was curious to see if any Instinct users had downloaded the 5.0 Beta and what their experiences were like. I've been using Opera Mini 4.2 that was made for the Instinct, after I got my replacement Instinct. So far, it is 5,000 times better than the stock Obingo browser. I've been enjoying using it lately, since the stock browser is useless.

If anyone could give me any feedback on it, I'd be grateful.

14 REPLIES 14
Journeyman

Re: Opera Mini 5.0 Beta

Definate upgrade from 4.2, but while it's in beta it will not work on the Samsung Instinct ( quoting the Opera website ).  Cannot store resources is the error everyone is getting.

Journeyman

Opera Mini 5 Beta 2 was released today and Works on the Samsung Instinct ( M800 )

Just go to m.opera.com/next from your phone to download and enjoy your new browsing experience

They even give you a QWERTY portrait keyboard to go with it

Highlighted
Journeyman

So far I'm not liking the new Opera Mini...I like how it generally looks better and "less cheap" (for lack of a better term) than the previous version, but I don't like how the "back" button is now in the top right corner of the screen when I'm so used to it in the bottom right, and I can't stand the new keyboard as it's difficult to accurately type on a portrait QWERTY. I'll probably force myself to get used to the new version though...but is there a way to change keyboards at all or do I have to use their new portrait QWERTY?

Journeyman

I'm liking the new opera it is 3 times faster than 4.2 and 10 times faster then the native browser. It scrolls just as fast as the native browser. The keyboard you can use or use the phones keyboard is a cool option. But it does look a little iphony though. You can't use thr RSS reader yet not installed in the program so far. The visual start page is cool. By the way the back button is on the lower left side not upper right. It doesn't use the phone's back button hopefully that will change by the time it is fully released. Landscape mode is really buggy, especially when using full screen mode.

Journeyman

jlasun1 wrote:

By the way the back button is on the lower left side not upper right.

The previous page button is on the lower left, the "Back" and "Cancel" buttons are now in the top right.

Journeyman

that is what a back button is on a web browser and look at it again it is the back and cancel button.

Journeyman

You're obviously not following. Go to the settings menu or something, and then try and click anything in the lower left to go back to the previous screen. Good luck with accomplishing going back to the previous screen by clicking in that area rather than the top right.

Wizard

nice.  the landscape mode is really lagging.  here's hoping it will get better because from the initial hands-on on my original instint is pretty cool.  although, i like the 4.2 capability with zooming images better.  i see that the new beta allow for downloads, but have not been able to successfully done it.

Edit: was reminded that the download work around is same as 4.2.  brain fart.

Message was edited by: badankles

I am happy that this verison has a password manager.

This Verison is much more better then the last verison

Journeyman

Just downloaded Opera Mini 5 beta 2. Very nice. Useable enough for my needs. Definitely 15,000 times better than that crappy Obingo browser, even with beta 2's flaws in landscape mode. Can't wait for the final version. Thank you Opera for salvaging my Instinct and making it useful as it was intended to be!

Journeyman

Good news concerning the new Opera Mini 5 beta 2 for you Instinct owners.

If you post using Opera Mini's new built-in keyboard....no more 200 character limit, how sweet is that

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat