cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PDF/Word Doc reader

Journeyman

PDF/Word Doc reader

I love my Instinct I think its major failing right now, and I have told every friend I know who works for Sprint, the lack of 3rd party applications. I gave up my palm Treo for the Instinct, and could really use a PDF and Word Doc reader. Of course I wouldn't mind the ability to move my full Treo Contact list into the Instinct Contacts. It took the phone numbers but not addresses and notes.

10 REPLIES 10
Journeyman

Re: PDF/Word Doc reader

At this time there is not an option to read a PDF file.  You should be able to open a word document though, we have tested this on our phones here and have been able to open them.  Though we have not tested word docs with graphis and pictures inside of it.  The Instinct does give you the option of saving the PDF file to your memory card and then you can open the file by using the Instinct as a mass storage device with a computer.  The reason for this is that the Instinct is not a PDA phone.

Journeyman

I don't have an Instince yet but like reading the posts....

I don't have an Instince yet but like reading the posts. On this subject will the Instice work with Google Documents? I know you can upload and view PDF , Word etc with Google Docs via a web browser.

Journeyman

I contacted Dataviz about a version of Documents To Go fo...

I contacted Dataviz about a version of Documents To Go for the Instinct and got this response: Quote: At this time the Samsung Instinct is a device that we not support. Your best option at this time would be to submit a feature/platform request via our website. http://www.dataviz.com/eforms/feedback/ ... _form.html We do track our customer requests and would gladly add your feedback to the requested feature list. This list gets reviewed on a regular basis and helps us determine what kinds of enhancements are necessary to add to the product in the future. Everyone who wants to be able to view PDFs and Docs should contact them!

Sprint Product Ambassador

Re: I don't have an Instince yet but like reading the posts....

You can log in, view documents stored at Google Docs, but you cannot edit them.

http://docs.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=77428&topic=12927

http://docs.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=77429&topic=12927

Just tested and it works well for documents.  Spreadsheets are a bit dodgy - one column at a time. Presentations are simply not available to view online. 

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

install a j2me pdf viewer

install a j2me pdf viewer

Journeyman

Re: install a j2me pdf viewer

Does this work with the Samsung Instinct? Where can I get the j2me pdf viewer? Thanks!

Journeyman

It is for this reason that I am going to cancel my sprint acct and take a loss on the cost of the phone. Everyone in my office has been buying an iPhone which CAN read PDFs natively. The two most popular formats for attachements are pdf and word docs (which fortunately the instinct reads). This is a serious flaw by Sprint/Samsung, PDFs are standard in the business world. The other thing is the weather app, my old motorola had a better weather app which would pinpoint where you were and had moving radar loops, the radar "image" looks fuzzy and terrible. The GPS never works right when the car is moving (unlike my old motorola app). The bad thing is, I have had this phone for two months and no updates or new apps are coming out, even though sprint is spending a lot on those horrible commercials. You will lose to the iPhone if you keep this up.

Journeyman

Have you gone to the DataViz Forum to request an Instinct version of Documents to Go yet?

Journeyman

I agree with jlc, although I haven't dumped my Instinct y...

I agree with jlc, although I haven't dumped my Instinct yet, but the answer, "the Instinct is not a PDA phone" is a complete cop out. Sprint spent millions advertising an Iphone killer and have failed to produce the most basic applications. I hate ATT, but fortunately there are so many Iphone wannabe's out there, including a new on by Blackberry, it should not be hard to find a better phone. So much promise and potential wasted. Next time, Sprint needs to rethink their advertising, I feel duped. (I'm writing this as a commercial comes on...sigh)

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: I agree with jlc, although I haven't dumped my Instinct y...

@TFloyd wrote:
I agree with jlc, although I haven't dumped my Instinct yet, but the answer, "the Instinct is not a PDA phone" is a complete cop out. Sprint spent millions advertising an Iphone killer and have failed to produce the most basic applications. I hate ATT, but fortunately there are so many Iphone wannabe's out there, including a new on by Blackberry, it should not be hard to find a better phone. So much promise and potential wasted. Next time, Sprint needs to rethink their advertising, I feel duped. (I'm writing this as a commercial comes on...sigh)

If you read the MR 4 thread, you will see alot of the "most basic applications" are in the nextupgrade as is the fix for 3rd party applications to use the keyboard. So I would not dump the Instinct just yet until you have seen these upgrades come to life.

And if you went to the iPhone you would be paying alot more for it, not just in the price of the iPhone its self, but the price you pay for the monthly plan just to use all those things you say are better on the iPhone than the Instinct.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat