cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Permission Check

Journeyman

Permission Check

Wondering if this is a part of the MR6 update we recieved..when accessing an application, it gives you the option of " always allow ", allow this time, allow until exit, and never allow....this is what we had before MR6...Now the option of "always allow" has been removed. This is a problem for applications in which one would " always allow " so the application won't ask again...now it ask all the time, and sometimes multipal times, and is very annoying....can, or will this be addressed?

8 REPLIES 8
Journeyman

Re: Permission Check

Agreed that this is very annoying. What is the purpose of this new "feature?" Are their rampant Instinct viruses running wild out there?

Journeyman

So very glad I didn't get the "update". Sorry for all your hassles guys.

Journeyman

It's not all applications which have had the "always allow" option disabled. For instance, the bolt browser can always access my GPS. It would be a lot more convenient if it was Google Maps that could but hey, i guess i'm the only one who thinks so, right Sprint?

Journeyman

Well for example. instinct-software has a voice memo app. Before MR6, when I first accessed it, it asked to access a file where clips are stored and I chose " Always Allow "... never asked me again...

Post MR6 and the official release of the voice memo app. ( I was a tester for the app ) I download the new version, and now the " always allow " isn't a choice. Now it ask for permission 3 times before I can record a clip, and 3 more time just to access a clip I had recorded...6 times, and more if I add clips...

Please add the permission to " Always allow " back to the phone, the option is needed...

This phone is taken a backward step here lately...I hope you developers can figure what's going wrong..

Edited: Okay, I downloaded the signed version of Opera Mini 4.2 and the " always allow " is an option...

So, the question would be why remove it from some areas for other apps...

Message Edited by goygacon on 06-17-2009 05:58 PM

Journeyman

Figured it out...it only ask permissions once when opening the voice memo app when selecting " allow until exit "..making a note here incase I forget...Blondes

Journeyman

<blockquote><hr>goygacon wrote:<br>Figured it out...it only ask permissions once when opening the voice memo app when selecting " allow until exit "..making a note here incase I forget...Blondes Smiley Happy<hr></blockquote><p></p><p>tester? hmmm</p><p></p><p>I think the issue iswith "signed" versus "unsigned" apps. Signed apps have the "Always Allow" choice - unsigned apps don't.</p><p></p><p>I agree it is very annoying - if I'm going to buy an app, and answer "Allow Until Exit" every time I run the app - it would be nice to be able to "Always Allow" - why Sprint chose to implement this new open API policy this way is beyond me.</p><p></p><p>The original default setting should be"Ask Each Time", that way I know it is going to try to access one of the APIs - then I should have a choice to leave it that way or elect to "trust" the "unsigned" app and choose "Always Allow"</p>

Journeyman

<blockquote><hr>myInstinctWasRight wrote:<br><blockquote><hr>goygacon wrote:<br>Figured it out...it only ask permissions once when opening the voice memo app when selecting " allow until exit "..making a note here incase I forget...Blondes Smiley Happy<hr></blockquote><p></p><p>tester? hmmm</p><p></p><p>I think the issue iswith "signed" versus "unsigned" apps. Signed apps have the "Always Allow" choice - unsigned apps don't.</p><p></p><p>I agree it is very annoying - if I'm going to buy an app, and answer "Allow Until Exit" every time I run the app - it would be nice to be able to "Always Allow" - why Sprint chose to implement this new open API policy this way is beyond me.</p><p></p><p>The original default setting should be"Ask Each Time", that way I know it is going to try to access one of the APIs - then I should have a choice to leave it that way or elect to "trust" the "unsigned" app and choose "Always Allow"</p><hr></blockquote><p>I don't mind helping out the developers, honor really, I'm pretty good at crashing apps, and it's their goal to get it so I can't, kind of fun, plus, like with this app in general, very useful...Thanks for the info on how things work ( signed/unsigned ) you've been a help in clearing this up...I agree with the last part, I hope they implement that route, makes sense...</p><div class="message-edit-history"><span class="edit-author">Message Edited by goygacon on </span><span class="local-date">06-18-2009</span><span class="local-time"> 11:08 AM</span></div>

Journeyman

You are correct - the app accesses the FileConnection API many times during the course of using the app and recording or playback of a memo.

The symptoms you described indicate that you may have answered the Permissions Check question with "Allow ThisTime" (which means once) - andsince the global setting is "Ask Each Time" -every time the app needs access to the API, it will have to ask againbecause that's what you told it to do.

You should always answer it with "Allow Until Exit" the first time it comes up and you won't have to go through that hassle.

If Sprint will ever add back the option to "Always Allow", then that would be a good choice as well.

@goygacon wrote:

Well for example. instinct-software has a voice memo app. Before MR6, when I first accessed it, it asked to access a file where clips are stored and I chose " Always Allow "... never asked me again...

Post MR6 and the official release of the voice memo app. ( I was a tester for the app ) I download the new version, and now the " always allow " isn't a choice. Now it ask for permission 3 times before I can record a clip, and 3 more time just to access a clip I had recorded...6 times, and more if I add clips...

Please add the permission to " Always allow " back to the phone, the option is needed...

This phone is taken a backward step here lately...I hope you developers can figure what's going wrong..

Edited: Okay, I downloaded the signed version of Opera Mini 4.2 and the " always allow " is an option...

So, the question would be why remove it from some areas for other apps...

Message Edited by goygacon on 06-17-2009 05:58 PM

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat