cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Petition: Allow Third Party Development of Free Apps with Less Restrictions

Highlighted
Journeyman

Petition: Allow Third Party Development of Free Apps with Less Restrictions

A few months ago upon purchasing the instinct and being undereducated about what it was capable of doing I was dissapointed to find that third party applications were only open to developers who payed the signing fee. I realized that this does not encourage free applications to be developed so I sent a message to dan@sprint.com and inquired about free development. I again was let down in my assumption that free application development would be encouraged as much as it was on certain competitors phones, like the iphone. I hope that now after four updates with no progress being made towards support for free third party apps, aside from an LCDUI keyboard update that maybe with a bit of emphasis and a petition signed by users(perhaps thousands?) that we can fix the problems we find in the instinct ourselves, rather than complain about them to sprint. This is how I think the idea should be proposed, that if the users had the ability to develop free applications for the phone under certain conditions(like the iphone) then the problems that users encounter with the phone would be minimized because the users could have the problem to develop new apps to fix(or go around) the problems. The allowed development of third party applications could generate a lot of positive PR for the Instinct and users could use existing MIDP 2.0 development tools to create their java apps.

Petition: To consider allowing third party developers to develop free applications, possibly with some restrictions, without inhibiting access to certain features including: file access, gps access, background application access, and possibly others that would be deemed necessary for the creation of relatively uninhibited software.

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Petition: Allow Third Party Development of Free Apps with Less Restrictions

@FannyPackInstinct wrote:

A few months ago upon purchasing the instinct and being undereducated about what it was capable of doing I was dissapointed to find that third party applications were only open to developers who payed the signing fee. I realized that this does not encourage free applications to be developed so I sent a message to dan@sprint.com and inquired about free development. I again was let down in my assumption that free application development would be encouraged as much as it was on certain competitors phones, like the iphone. I hope that now after four updates with no progress being made towards support for free third party apps, aside from an LCDUI keyboard update that maybe with a bit of emphasis and a petition signed by users(perhaps thousands?) that we can fix the problems we find in the instinct ourselves, rather than complain about them to sprint. This is how I think the idea should be proposed, that if the users had the ability to develop free applications for the phone under certain conditions(like the iphone) then the problems that users encounter with the phone would be minimized because the users could have the problem to develop new apps to fix(or go around) the problems. The allowed development of third party applications could generate a lot of positive PR for the Instinct and users could use existing MIDP 2.0 development tools to create their java apps.

Petition: To consider allowing third party developers to develop free applications, possibly with some restrictions, without inhibiting access to certain features including: file access, gps access, background application access, and possibly others that would be deemed necessary for the creation of relatively uninhibited software.

If you would have done some research, you would have noticed that thereis already a peition thread for this same exact issue and nothing came of it. Sprint no longer looks at this board nowthat there are much better phones available.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I did some research and my petition is not the same as the others. Some ask for only the background application access, others just the file access, and others ask sprint to give out free developer application signing. What I'm asking is for the apps not to use the Sprint Wireless Toolkit, and instead be able to use the JWTK and still have access to these features.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well, like I said, no one from Sprint looks at these boards any longer anyway, so it's kind of pointless. Sorry.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Helpful replies would be nice, thanks. Maybe you should do your research a bit, instead of making replies that don't contribute at all!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Fine. Agreed then bud. Maybe something CAN come of it. If you remember staying quiet at first when the Instinct came out did nothing. It took all this and everyones comments to get the Instinct's updates and bug fixes this far. So who knows. And also Will England said he was talking to a few executives and Sprint Nextel people about matters such as this. So who knows.

The Samsung Instinct isn't the future. But if Sprint wants to progress and learn from it they'll have to fix this up and continue from there to fix it up more and add new features or continue on with new lineups.

And this is exactly what we need, a step ahead. Sprint needs develepors but if it continues stuff like this that discourages developing for Sprint phones then they'll get nowhere at all. Which is why many develepors are running off to work on stuff for the iPhone, Android platform, etc. But there's still plenty left for Sprint. People like the ones down at Instinct-Software.com show that some developers are still trying for Sprint. But they need Sprints support, they need exactly what FannyPack has said.

So agreed 😮 =D

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just call it a jailbreak...

Highlighted
Journeyman

Most definately....agreed

Highlighted
Journeyman

100% agreed. If sprint wont employee people to make us apps then let us provide them to ourselves.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Agreed...but probably won't happen because Sprint is stuck in the 80's.

Highlighted
Journeyman

100% agreed.

Almost all the programs that are of some use will not work due to the limitations ofaccess to applicationsneeded

to work properly.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat