cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Screen Locked & Unable to make calls, texts, voice messages...Nothing

Highlighted
Patron

Phone Screen Locked & Unable to make calls, texts, voice messages...Nothing

All of a sudden this evening, I wanted to make a call..when I press the start button on the top, it seemed fine. but the screen is locked. as soon as I press the hard keys...it is selecting something on the screen and calling my shortcuts or going into navigation and what ever it likes to do.

I restarted several times, removed and replaced battery several times but no use. I cannot accept new calls, messages, text, voice messages...literally NOTHING IS WORKING. this is screwed. I saw an accident this evening on highway, i could not even call 911. this is ridiculous. I am gonna go strong on sprint on this issue!

Message was edited by: izzyks

Message was edited by: SarahKS

14 REPLIES 14
Journeyman

Re: Phone Screen Locked & Unable to make calls, texts, voice messages...Nothing

If you have locked the screen and you can not remember your lock code you can take the device to your local sprint repair store to have it unlocked for you. I apologize for any frustrations this may have caused you.

Master

To the OP you will need to take it into sprint to have it checked, It sounds like it needs to be replaced. If it is under 1 yr it is covered by the Manufactured warranty. They may try to get you to do a insurance claim if you have it but the terms for repair have recently changed as to where they will honor the manufacture warranty in a corporate owned store.

Journeyman

I have checked with the technical support supervisor from our department and it can be unlocked by a technician at your repair store . The phone would need to be restored to factory settings. You would lose all contacts, pictures, or any other stored information you have on the device.

Master

NO IT CAN'T!

At first I called Sprint and I told them what happened and they tried to help me but they couldn't do anything for me. Theytried to haveme input acodeusing the # key but that key was not enabled. So they advised me to go to the Sprint store and they tried twice to unlock my phone anda hard reset but it was impossible.

Also since you choose to do this here,

This is not a poster stating THEY locked the screen and forgot the lock code! I wanted to make a call..when I press the start button on the top, it seemed fine. but the screen is locked. as soon as I press the hard keys...it is selecting something on the screen and calling my shortcuts or going into navigation and what ever it likes to do.

Also SPRINT CANNOT unlock an INSTINCT without knowing the lock code, It is needed to access the keyboard to reset the device. In that case it HAS to be sent to SAMSUNG to have it reflashed!

Master

Here is how you can retrieve the lock code if you forgot it, But sprint can not do anything without it as far as reseting your phone if you forgot your lock code.

First thing you need to do is download the unlocker, http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/MMbsSR-D_4PILRoCcQAdVlslpOWEe8joHnbaAQjRXdwsDflKNdgUGyc-oexnBdgonyeRjBQ...
Ok so next you need to take the microSD card out...JUST IN CASE.
(while tryin to hack and unlock my phone i made a goof and erased everything on
my card). Now, plug your phone into your computer using the data cable. open the
unlocker program, when the unlocker opens go to and click the setup tab. Next
go to the device manager on your computer, and find the port that your phone is
using to connect to, ex: Samsung mobile modem diagnostic serial port (COM9).
change the com on the unlocker to match the one in the device manager, and then
click the read all tab on the unlocker. the 4 digit user lock code is on the
right hand side under sec. code (SPC).

I know this will not help th OP but wanted to post it here to help those who may have forgot their lock code.

Journeyman

mine did the exact same thing when i was at disney and then it started working fine again and now its back doing the same thing i might just get the s30

Journeyman

My two experiences with this was that the screen had been smashed down and was reading my touch correctly. My buddy that works at sprint had me bring it in and they said they spaced the screen back to normal. It was doing the same thing reading my touch oddly and going where it wanted. You may want them to check that. He found the problem on another phone that came in and was doing the same and when they opened it to check the phone they found the screen pressed down. Just a thought.

Journeyman

I have an S30, Ive have had it about 3 weeks. It locked smooth up two days ago and was Frozen for about 3 minutes before it finally worked again. It froze again today and wouldn't work then after about 4-5 minutes started working again. It also is having some problems not wanting to dial my numbers off the contact and speed dial now. I'm taking it back and getting something else. Great looking phone but it has issues.

Journeyman

I tried to use the link for the unlocker and it doesn't work. Do you have another webite I can use?

Journeyman

knightner wrote:

I tried to use the link for the unlocker and it doesn't work. Do you have another webite I can use?

Here's a link...just download the attachment in the post

http://www.instinct-samsung.com/index.php?topic=11921.msg99518#msg99518

Message was edited by: goygacon

Journeyman

Over the last couple of weeks, I had been having similar issues with my Instinct. The touchscreen would lockout and after several restarts it would recover. Text, calls, voice, nothing. Only after sincere number of restarts did I coax my Instinct back to functionality. Keep in mind, I bought this phone in FEBRUARY! Today, it got so bad that I drove to the nearest Sprint store (corporately owned) with a repair shop. The young lady there was so nice and cute too. (Both a plus in my opinion. )

So their technicans looked at my phone. While drooling over the new Samsung Moment, which I must say really works 10,000 times better than the Instinct, they figured out what was wrong.

The touchscreen on my phone was defective and hopelessly broken. Thankfully, I'm a Sprint Premier customer, my company has a contract with Sprint(which is on my account), and I had my insurance. They got me a brand new Instinct (surprised they even had one), and didn't charge me a dime. Thankfully, I kept my pictures and music on my 8 GB storage which was switched over and they synced all my contacts over.

While it was great customer service at the store level, I also talked with a fellow Instinct user. This lady was on her 3rd Instinct. THIRD! I was about to get my 2nd. Her horror stories mirrored many of ours. And I let her know about this website too. I hope she will join us and add to the voices of the Instinct abused. Sprint, this is absolutely inexcuseable both the failure rate and the lack of making things right with the customers.

Let me say one again, the Sprint Store staff WAS EXCELLENT. They do not need to be abused and I hope Sprint customers will not take their anger out on employees who have no way of fixing our issues. Our anger should be directed at the Instinct's development team, the corporate officers who aren't being accountable, and CEO Dan Hesse for not effecting greater changes. If an additional 801,000 dropped customers wasn't the first hint, I don't know what is.

So now I'm on Instinct number 2. We'll see how long this one lasts. However, I feel your pain ramiro, Goy, Levi, and the others. This must be the most craptastic phone in the Sprint linup today. I just think that Sprint needs to have a longer than 30 day customer guarantee on these phones. Especially when many of us sign for 2 years and some of us are "Sprint Premier" customers. I think especially "Sprint Premier" customers deserve a customer satisfaction guarantee with that status.

Message was edited by: jogomez721

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat